Hi Guys - I'm back

Submitted: Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 00:53
ThreadID: 20197 Views:1983 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Had a wonderful holiday; toured along the South Coast of WA to places we'd never been, as far as Cape Arid NP (thanks Davoe for the tips - never went to all the places you did tho'), up to Balladonia and over to SA. Toured the Eyre Peninsula - cool on the coast - hotter inland but tolerable. Went a little further to the Clare Valley to look at the small locatity called Penwortham as my Grandfather named the farm here Penwortham. Had a fabulous time. Nothing too extreme as the poor little Nissan was towing the Bushtracker all the way, but it went places i'm sure no one would ever have taken a caravan before. Didn't catch any fish worth talking about - mostly too windy to hang on to the jetties. Great jetties and lovely bays all around the Eyre. Saw the aftermath of the terrible fires in the South. Saw a fire started by lightening in the North Gawler ranges. Met some great people; locals and "nomads". Thanks for the tips from those of you with suggestions of where to visit. Special thanks to Willem for telling us about Lipson Cove (shhh - don't tell anyone else). Found plenty of secluded spots to camp. Back to work tomorrow - i'll probably get the sack for not having my mind on the job.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 09:43

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 09:43
Whew you didnt muck around. When on the Eyre Penninsula did you stop off at any of my old stamping grounds being Wudinna, venus bay,Talia area?
AnswerID: 97059

Follow Up By: motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 02:07

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 02:07
Yes, went there too. Didn't climb Mt Wudinna tho' - i wanted to as they claim it to be second largest monolith in Oz (how many others claim this?). It was the middle of a hot day, and we'd climbed all over the other interesting rocks. My husband said i was bright red/purple from the heat so promised me next time we come if it is at a better time of the year, we'd climb it. I don't do well in the heat. Venus Bay is lovely - called in twice. Talia area contains some of the most inhospitable farm land (like west of lock and south of elliston) - bare limestone on paddocks of limestone. Went to the ocean caves at Talia too. I also wanted to climb Carappee, as it is supposed to be the highest point on the Peninsular. The brochure said a walk trail was marked with white arrows to the peak, but we couldn't find it. Now it's back to being a slug - i won't even go the first rung up the ladder on the silo - scared of heights or something!
FollowupID: 355790

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 09:33

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 09:33
Wudinna was my home town and I spent many weekends at mount Wudinna with Venus bay and associated coastline being the fishing destination of choice. Where did you end up going at cape Arid?
FollowupID: 355806

Follow Up By: motherhen - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 01:03

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 01:03
Didn't go far at Cape Arid NP. It is a trauma uncoupling and re coupling the caravan, and i wouldn't let the Nissan try and pull the BT through soft sand, so we were cautious about what tracks we took. (First stop on the internet when we got home was looking at better hitches - even before i logged onto Exploroz!) We called in at the Thomas River Ranger station to ask about where we could get, bearing in mind we need a bit of room to turn around too. He suggested the lookout over Tagon Bay and Point. Said we could go down to Thomas River, but would need to turn around on the beach. We had lunch up at the lookout looking across to where Mt Arid was partially obscured by a shower of rain. He thought it not worth our while to go any further through the park with our rig, so we went back to the Parmango Road, and on our way.

I think the fish stories along the Eyre Peninsular are myths. We didn't see anyone catching much in the way of fish!

FollowupID: 355975

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 10:08

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 10:08
Hah! Unless things have changed since I was there Locks wells- never failed to catch more salmon than i could possibly keep at Easter. Streaky bay - got a secret spot that yields 40cm + leatherjackets. Mt camel beach - regular small salmon and mullet (pilch) nearly as big. Talia Beach - best catches include a 22 pound snapper odff the beach and a gummy shark. Elliston- big sweep off the headlands
FollowupID: 356017

Reply By: Member - Anni M (SA) - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 20:15

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 20:15
Welcome back - glad to hear that you had a great time. Hope you tried some good wines in the Clare! I'll remember some of your suggestions too, for next time!
Here's to planning the next trip
Anni
AnswerID: 97143

Follow Up By: motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 02:08

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 02:08
Thanks. Nah - wine would be wasted on us!
FollowupID: 355791

Sponsored Links