Bullbar now compliant (I hope)

Submitted: Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 21:53
ThreadID: 20226 Views:2115 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Following on from POST 20,164, I thought I'd better re-assess my front end in view of an impending trip to NSW in a few weeks.
Since the pic's shown in my Rig Pic, I had moved my 240's to the top of the bullbar (as I do every summer) to allow more air flow onto the radiator.
However, as always, I am keen to stay on the right side of the law so I have just spent an hour or so farting about changing the lights back over and making the connections a bit less agricultural by soldering all the joint where the short tail wires leave the actual lights and putting shrink tubing over the joints.. The Sho Roo usually sits forward of the the top bar on 2 ARB brackets; so I've reversed them around and now have the ShuRoo mounted behind the front of the top bar.
The actual lights do sit a bit forward of the bar, but I believe they would make a "softer" target for a pedestrian to hit than the bar that is behind them.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 22:05

Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 22:05
For those that don't know...

Roachies vehicle is very, very nice, and I want it. Thing is, it's had a raise, and any boor bugger unlucky enough to be hit by it, would have trouble reaching the number plate!!

Good on ya Bill.... LOL!!!

Cheers

Wolfie
AnswerID: 97165

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 16:36

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 16:36
Wolfie....$100,000 and she's yours mate.....and I'll even thow a carton of Crownies into the Engel in the back to go with it.

Geez I'm a great bloke......
FollowupID: 355881

Reply By: beatit - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 08:52

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 08:52
G'day Roachie,

Was wondering why can't they make the shu Roo into a Shu Ped (estrian) that way there wouldn't have to be so many concerrns about bull bars. You know a switch on the dash that changes sound from inaudible, while in the country to "MOOVE" at about 1000 Db for city driving.

Could have legs I reckon.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 97199

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:23

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:23
I've got one already....it's called a set of air horns with a 100psi tank to activate them. I'd love to be able to drive EVERYWHERE in a built up area (ie: city streets etc WHEN I have to go there...yuk) with them constantly on, but I think the blue boys might get a tad upset with me. hahahaha
FollowupID: 355832

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:27

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:27
I think an air horn that sounded like a Tommy Gun, or AK47 would be better than a train horn.. :D
FollowupID: 355834

Follow Up By: beatit - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:37

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:37
Picture this, your air horns connected to a set of reversing sensors mounted on the bull bar (yes that's right - up front) will give them pedestrians a jumping chance. Just how far will you Patrol travel in 3 meters?

Then again might be a problem in slow traffic if you keep blowing those things at the car in front.
FollowupID: 355836

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 14:40

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 14:40
Haa haa, you gotta love'em! When I put my tank in I was playing around with my plastic (cheapo) air horns with an ARB air soliod. When I bipped the horns it made this quite disturbing very very loud high pitched yelp. (obviously because they were never designed to have 105psi through them). I was really quite confused about what this noise was and why it made my hairs stand up on the back of my neck. After a bit more playing around (and with every intention of getting real metal truck horns) I ended up fitting these plastic ones back in front of the radiator and they are still there today. I've become very accustomed to my extremely irritating air horns and they just seem for some reason to make a noise that just makes you jump even when you are expecting it.
They are great fun! I had someone asking me 20 questions about the car once (a mate of a mate). So I asked him if he could have a close look at my left headlight as it was playing up. BIP! ROTFLMAO! The guy just about fell on his ass!
FollowupID: 355855

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 14:50

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 14:50
Roachie I gotta question for you.

How long does the pressure stay up in your 3L tank for? I've got a 2L tank and I've tried everything concevable to seal up the conntections and hose etc but if I charge it in the morning it'll hold pressure for only about 10-12 hours then it will have dropped back to 80psi and re-charge...
I've got about 10m of hose throughout the car and the air tank is right at the back of the vehicle mounted to the chasis with an emergancy pressure valve in it but I don't think that should make any diff....
Waddaya reckon?
FollowupID: 355859

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 16:35

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 16:35
G'day Jeff,
Mate, mine loses pressure slowly too. I have an over-ride switch as well as the ARB cut-out switch. Each morning I check the gauge on the A pillar and it's usually just below 80psi, so I hit the switch and pump it back up til it cuts off, while I'm waiting for the motor to warm up a bit.

I went through a stage a few months ago when it was going down even more quickly so I bought another length of the plastic quarter inch tubing I use and replaced the section from the tank (on the cargo barrier) up to the passenger's footwell (where there is a "T" junction to feed the gauge). I still have the old hose going from that "T" piece, through the firewall where it meets up with 2 more "T" junctions. That piece is about 2 foot long. I reckon that is where the very small leak is currently coming from. I use those push fittings (Festo??). The 2 "T" junctions under the bonnet lead off to the Air Locker solenoid and the other goes up the outside of the left A pillar to the air horns on the roof rack. The hose then continues on to the Ryco fitting on the bullbar where I can attach a air hose for tyres etc.

I tried lots of stuff before i decided to put new hose in......soapy water around all the joints etc. I was even considering putting a few drops of (say) vanilla essence in the pipes and seeing if I could smell where it was escaping from, but decided my sense of smell is up to shyte and would be a waste of time.

My feeling is that the hose/pipe joints get weak where the FESTO units are.......not sure if you use these too??

It's no big deal I guess and I actually reckon I SHOULD bleed the tank every night anyway and pump up from scratch every morning. I have installed a bleed tap, but it's in the back cargo area near the rear Ryco outlet and would be a pain to bleed every day.
FollowupID: 355880

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 16:45

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 16:45
Sounds just like mine!
I tried the soapy water, it did uncover a small leak which I repaired, before that it was letting the pressure out every couple of hours. But I can't find any more. Oh well... I have mine hooked up throuh an isolation switch via a relay as well. I actually then hooked the isolation switch through the accessories. It means you have to have the motor running before the air compressor can kick in. It's alright because you've got enough air in the tank to pump up the kids bikes or the footy without needing to start the car and to pump up the car tyres you've gotta really have the engine going anyway.
That way when you get in the car and start'er up if the tanks low it charges automatically and you can just leave the switch on all the time if you want.
Oh well I'm glad I not the only one who has that problem! :-)
Tanx mate.
FollowupID: 355882

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:01

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:01
I still want a good old Klaxon horn....
FollowupID: 355930

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 21:14

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 21:14
Roachie,

So you are driving into the setting sun.
How far east are you planning to go?
Got any trips planned ?

Come on spill the beans.

Wayne
AnswerID: 97326

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 21:33

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 21:33
G'day Wayne,
Just doing the "relo run" for 2 weeks with Easter in the middle. Thinking of camping along the Murray , then via Cooma to see friends, on to Ulladulla to see Annette's parents.....I will leave her there for Easter and head to Canberra on easter thursday(?) to pick up my 16 y/o son (Nick) and continue on to Narrandera to see my mother, and other family. Easter is an annual Hot Road event at Narrandera so my 4 sons should enjoy themselves there. Nick will have to catch a bus back to Canberra, Annette will catch one to Narrandera and then we'll head westwards on the tuesday after easter.....I'm thinking of going via Menindee Lakes and back into SA via Dangalli Conservation Park to Burra and back to Kadina.

Might try and squeeze a night at Deua NP in on the way from Cooma to Ulladulla.

Cheers mate
FollowupID: 356110

Reply By: Skinny- Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 09:43

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 09:43
Nice set up Roachie, wish I had a 100k. I once had a pedestrian walk in front of the truck and I swear I thought i was going to hit her. I hit the triple air horns I had at the time and she jumped clear of the truck and an extra metre I reckon as well. Should be compulsory .
cheers skinny
AnswerID: 97407

Sponsored Links