Installation of Inverter, battery charger etc

Submitted: Monday, Feb 07, 2005 at 23:55
ThreadID: 20229 Views:2460 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I would like to know how others install inverters and battery chargers ect in their camper trailer? I would like to install them so they are secure and at the same time insulate them from a rough ride from corrugations etc.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Cobes
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:21

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:21
Guess it depends on type of camper trailer you have mate. With mine, there is a dedicated compartment for a couple of batteries and i have whacked a largish 3 stage 15 amp charger in there too. I don't have an inverter in the camper, but the one in the 4x4 is mounted onto the cargo barrier, above the head of the rear passenger.
If you have a camper without any small compartments, I would suggest you consider placing such items securely inside one of those hard, black plastic battery storgage boxes with a secureable lid. I would bolt both items to the "walls" of the box and then bolt the box to the camper (once again it depends on the type of camper you have.
Hope it works out okay for you...
AnswerID: 97224

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:36

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:36
If it's any kind of half decent interverter you will probally be best mounting it inside the vehicle so that you can hook it direct to a battery in the front of the car via 8g minimum cable.

I have a 420w Pure Sinewave inverter and it draws up to 45amps continuous if loaded up. With that kind of current draw you want your motor going and accessories off so that the vehicle can handle battery charging and running the inverter. Of course you are not neccessarily going to be using that kind of draw on it all the time, but if you've spend the money you might as well hook it up in such a way so that you can take full advantage of it if need be.

My inverter will run the entire lounge room (Set Top Box, Amp, Sub, Mast Head Amplifier, 109cm TV, DVD, 75w Lamp and Pedistal Fan) if I want it to. (have done so in power failures). The surf can hold that up at standard low idle. Handy to have.
AnswerID: 97228

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 14:15

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 14:15
Jeff...

LOLOL

You and i must have different priorities........

Quote: "My inverter will run the entire lounge room (Set Top Box, Amp, Sub, Mast Head Amplifier, 109cm TV, DVD, 75w Lamp and Pedistal Fan) if I want it to. (have done so in power failures). "

Nowhere in there have you mentioned the fridge....LOLOL com'on gotta get your priorities right mate....hahaha
FollowupID: 355850

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 14:25

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 14:25
How Bizzare I was just reading through your ric stats from another post when you replied. You and I are as mad as each other by the looks of things! :-)

Read my other post about the modified Waeco Cooler, I had that running off an old car battery in a battery box next to the couch. LOL Gotta have a cold beer while watching TV. ;-)

Our power has been SO BAD here in Perth latley... I reckon we had better power up in Marble Bar of the Diesel Gennies!! AND THAT'S SAYING SOMTHING!

So with all that going on and the missus painting the master bedroom it's kinda like camping at home at the Mo! No gas in our house so we were cooking with pots and pans on the BBQ out back. Neighbours must think we are the wierdest people! TV blaring, lights on, pots and pans clanging outside, car running in the garage.... the smell of diesel protuding accross the fence!
FollowupID: 355853

Sponsored Links