Tekonsha Voyager to Prodigy Installation

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 11:05
ThreadID: 20233 Views:11574 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I have a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller that I want to change to a Prodigy unit. The Voyager was wired up by an auto-electrician. Does anyone know if I will be able to just plug the new Prodigy into the current wiring loom from the Voyager?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Paul - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 11:21

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 11:21
Moggs,

if you look at

http://www.tekonsha.com

and looks at the wiring diagrams for the Voyger and the Prodigy they look to me to be identical.

Paul
AnswerID: 97217

Follow Up By: Member - Moggs - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 11:31

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 11:31
Thanks. Yep, I checked out the site and sawe that it was a generic wiring instruction. I assume as they are made by the same company that they would have a common wiring loom???? - just wanted to check to see if I can avoid another installation fee and just plug it in.

BTW, anyone wanting one Repco are still doing them at $150 inc. GST
FollowupID: 355825

Reply By: alister - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 11:44

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 11:44
The colors are the same. As long as you wire color for color it will be fine. I did this when I changed units, and I had the guy that did it wire then both through an additional plug so I cound use the Voyager if the Prodigy failed. Always handy to have a spare.
AnswerID: 97220

Follow Up By: Member - Moggs - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 11:54

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 11:54
ok Thanks. Sounds like it shouldn't be too difficult.
FollowupID: 355830

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 16:03

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 16:03
I changed mine over as well and the wiring on both units are identical.
Easy as.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 97259

Reply By: Member - John C - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 20:07

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 20:07
Why the change to the Prodigy?
AnswerID: 97312

Follow Up By: angler - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 23:57

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 23:57
cos it doesnt put your brake lights on at night like a voyager does.
FollowupID: 355964

Follow Up By: Member - Moggs - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 00:06

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 00:06
My Voyager actually works perfectly - none of the hassels that others have encountered.

The reason for the change is that I am colour blind with a red/green deficiency. The Voyager unit is set and monitored by a single LED light that changes from green to orange to red and all the shades inbetween. I simply cannot see the changes in colour well enough to set the thing properly and the wife is getting shirty monitoring it for me.

The Prodigy unit has a digital display with symbols and numbers - much better for me.

...and before anyone takes the bleep ...yes I can tell the difference between green/amber/red traffic lights LOL.
FollowupID: 355968

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 14:16

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 14:16
The Tekonsha Voyager unit on my jackeroo had been flashing the "check engine" light and turning on the brake lights. Took it to a local supplier in Canberra & he is sending it off for assesment. He made a statement that they had been recalled in America for a fault but that the Warranty in Australia is not the same as in the USA. He said he has had several returned and the Australian Distributors supply a new Prodigy unit as the Voyagers are no longer available all having been recalled world wide except Australia.... very strange. I wait with eager anticpation to see what turns up & how long it will take.
AnswerID: 97455

Follow Up By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 15:36

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 15:36
Hi Rick,

Based on earlier post, I sent off an enquiry via the Tekonsha website and received a helpful reply. I bought the unit through Repco and they state they know nothing about such failures, so I have asked the friendly lady at Tekonsha for some help (per her offer). The email trail below refers.

Hugh
Thankyou very much for your prompt feedback and also for the manner in which your company is prepared to resolve this issue.
I have approached the company from whom I purchased the unit (REPCO) and they state they have no knowledge of a problem, let alone were interested to exchange my unit. I showed them your reply and they were at least willing to follow-up with their wholesale supplier (I don’t know if this is your Australian distributor). Anyhow, I would appreciate your help in identifying a contact in Perth, Western Australia who can assist me in resolving this problem.
Are the units to be replaced with another Voyager controller? If so, then what distinguishes the old units from the new and improved ones (SN, etc)? Some people are claiming that their units are being replaced with Prodigy controllers, which seems very generous to me. I suppose all I need for now is a local contact who knows about the problem and can exchange my controller for the appropriate replacement.
Thanks in advance for your ongoing assistance.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We have been made aware of this concern and it has been taken care of. We have redesigned some of the circuitry and have made arrangements with the dealers and distributors to replace any control that comes in with this concern.
All you have to do is take the unit itself to a dealer and they can replace it for you without you purchasing a new one.
If you have any problem with doing this, please let me know and I will do all I can to help out.
Have a Wonderful Day !!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller, which I installed myself last June '04 and has been (still is) working very well for trailer towing application. However in the past couple of weeks I have a problem with brake lights inadvertantly coming on (without trailer), particularly on hot days. I didn't think this was a brake controller issue, however I have since discovered (via SUV forum) that the Tekonsha Voyager units have a known problem that leads to this condition. Would you please let me know if this is so, and if so, what can be done via Australian agents to resolve my problem.The unit actually works very well, just this issue with the brake lights is very annoying.Thanks for your assistance.
FollowupID: 356056

Sponsored Links