GU Radiator issues - rubbing

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 12:22
ThreadID: 20234 Views:2062 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
From OUterlimits, but this has also happened to our club trip coordinator which he mentioned the last meeting we had..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heading: GU 4.2TD radiator probs

As above, there are two lugs coming off the fan shroud, that over time rub on and wear small holes into the radiator . I don't know if this is the same on the petrols or the 3ltr, but it wouldn't hurt to check........luckily I was only on stockton when it happened, and you cant see where the leak is from coz it is covered up by the same lugs.

After I braised the radiator up, I glued some dense seal type foam, and trimed the lugs to suit. As cutting the lugs took of the flat bit, and it could cut into the foam, I found some old curtain rod ends and trimmed them up to fit to provide a flat edgs.

I can send / post pics if anyone wants to see, but I would suggest you fix it up next service.

Annyone else had this problem.....it is a '99 ute?????
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 14:22

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 14:22
Hell no.....with the big aluminium jobbie there ain't no room for a standard shroud at all, so I just gotta 2nd fan in front driver's side the blow air through that bit and the air-con fan does the other side. The big radiator does have the lugs built in to take the shroud, but there was no way I could squeeze it in.
I did cut the top of the shroud off and bolt it to the top of the radiator just to protect my cute little pinkies from getting mangled by the fan (it would only have been a matter of time b4 I stuffed up).
AnswerID: 97241

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 14:32

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 14:32
something in this for everyone re rubbing on radiator. I had power steering pipes running near my bottom tank that bumped and rubbed until it developed a hole near Arltunga A 5c cable tie fixed the pipe
AnswerID: 97246

Reply By: sevo - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 14:58

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 14:58
Truckster,
this concern effected 4.2t and 4.5l petrol engined patrols up until 01 models.
cheers sevo
AnswerID: 97252

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:04

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:04
And James' (our club trip man) 3.0 GU.
FollowupID: 355932

Follow Up By: sevo - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 08:02

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 08:02
Differant radiator + Differant shroud = Differant problem
FollowupID: 355991

Reply By: Casnat - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 19:11

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 19:11
Just 20 mins ago finished refitting the radiator in my 98 GU (4.5 Petrol). Would you believe someone at some stage has lost a ratchet wrench and extension bar down into the engine bay and it must have laid resting (read rubbing!) on the radiator for who knows how long. It isn't one of mine so probably from the previous owner. Bouncing around last week on the top half of the Border Track must have been the last straw ..... pool of coolant on driveway next morning. Lucky it lasted I guess.

Being aluminium it can't be welded, so the choice was a newie at about $800 or $38 to bog it with STIC-TITE. Guess which I chose. Anybody had experience with that stuff? Only a tiny hole.

Anyway ... had the radiator out and no signs of rubbing from anywhere else.

Trev
AnswerID: 97295

Follow Up By: brian - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 07:36

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 07:36
hello casnat,aluminium can easily be welded without inert gas cover set ups,there are specific welding rods available that will weld alloy with a simple gas/butane torch .i have used one to repair an aluminium tube carrying power steering fluid on my gu,the rods are made up of a mix of approx 13 different elements and work like soldering,for example you can join diecast and aluminium.
i usually buy them for a few dollars at 4wd/camping shows
FollowupID: 355987

Follow Up By: Casnat - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 08:28

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 08:28
I obviously didn't go to a very good radiator repair place! I also suggested to them that they could blank off the affected pipe but got some story about why that was too hard also. Clearly there is more money in selling customers a new radiator.
FollowupID: 355995

Reply By: GUPatrol - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 11:41

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 11:41
Truckster,
I pull my radiator (4.TD but they are all the same except perhaps the 4.8 and the new 4.2 with the narrow radiator) out each early summer and clean it up (flush it and change coolant) and I identified the offending lug as a possible problem early on, I went to clark rubber and glued the rubber (1 inch square) to the section of radiator so that the lug doesn't rub anymore.
Just poor design in my opinion, but something everyone should be aware off and everyone should check.
The only way to see it is by removing the shroud, you will see a shiny spot on the rad fins, which by the time the fins wear a little starts rubbing on the rad tube.

Will
AnswerID: 97423

Reply By: warthog - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 17:14

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 17:14
Truckster,
Our TD42T 2000 had the problem you mention, plastic shroud rubs on radiator in two places where it joins in the middle. Our car has spent a bit of time on dirt roads previous owner lived near Arltunga had approx 50k's dirt before bitumen when heading to town. Local radiator repairer stated was common fault and brazed holes closed, looked a bit ugly but did the job. Put 2 large circular bits of sicaflex over the repairs to stop further rubbing and no probs 12 mths later. About to put 3 core adrad radiator in and glad you reminded me of the fault.
Thanks Chris.
AnswerID: 97679

Sponsored Links