Schraeder Spark Plug Tyre Pump,

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 15:15
ThreadID: 20241 Views:2263 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Who was looking for the old spark plug tyre pumps a few weeks ago?

Schraeder Pump

Geoff
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Casnat - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 18:32

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 18:32
Hi Geoff

I posted the original question. It was actually because there was one on ebay at the time. Everyones comments re potential damage to the computer etc put me off.

Funny thing was, mentioned it to my old man the next day and he fished one out of the boot of his new Commodore. (never used and I suspect he now might be too scared to try it to).

Cheers

Trevor
AnswerID: 97283

Follow Up By: Ray Bates - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 20:11

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 20:11
I wouldn't want one. I have anFZJ Toyota. The plugs are hard enough to get out at the best of times
FollowupID: 355918

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:20

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:20
Trevor,
I'd like to think the computer, electronics etc is better designed than that.
All you are doing is artificially creating a faulty spark plug or plug lead. If the computer, coil or electronics went belly up in either of those scenario's you'd be entitled to ask some very pointed questions.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 355939

Follow Up By: Casnat - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:55

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:55
As I mentioned, the old man has one which I may throw in the back for an absolute emergency but given the responses to my initial post (#19682) it sort of comes down to "why take the risk". The responses were inconclusive but raised enough doubts for me.

I now have a reasonable 12v compressor. I was interested in these things as a backup but I will probably now rather use my Michelin foot pump as emergency backup if the compressor fails. Wouldn't want to have to resort to such manual labour but better than being stuck will deflated tyres and no other option.

I will reconsider of course if anyone with a late model vehicle can verify to their usefulness from actual experience.

Thanks anyway for pointing out the ebay posting

Cheers
Trev
FollowupID: 355950

Follow Up By: MrBitchi - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 09:00

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 09:00
Trev,
I used one on my NH Pajero (1992 model) with no ill effects. Admittedly the computers are a bit more advanced these days but it still shouldn't cause any problems. Plugs on the NM are too hard to get at so it's been consigned to the shed.
Worked absolutely brilliantly. Pumped up a tyre in no time. PITA to get plugs out when engine hot though.
Great thing to carry as a backup. If your plugs are easy to get at then it'd be my preference over a cheap 12V compressor.

Cheers, John

FollowupID: 356003

Sponsored Links