safety

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 15:49
ThreadID: 20244 Views:1991 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there everyone.
I have just been reading an old post of Wolfies where everyone was discussing
the dangers of various places because of - - locals (or travellers i guess) etc...
The thing is that myself and a friend (both women) are going to be travelling
from late march for about 12 weeks or so. No real plans except that we will be
coming across from Vic - X the nullabor sticking to coastal Sth WA to start then
heading north - maybe to the Cape just north of Broome ?? We are just looking forward to the fishing, relaxing in some gorgeous country
My question (at last) : Is there anywhere we should stay well clear of or any
other suggestions to keep out of arms way? Hoping to meet a lot of people during our travels but the more friendly ones are the plan : >

Thanks Kate
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 16:15

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 16:15
Kate, a good question. I've travelled by myself for years and never had any trouble. Just take the usual precautions in town and if bush camping either camp with several groups or somewhere thats not easy to spot. As a whole the WA mob are a friendly lot. I can understand that you just don't want them to be too friendly :))
Actually you'd be surprised at how many women are doing just what you are going to do, and perhaps how many women work and live in remote areas. Electoral officers, nurses etc are just a few of the many ladies that I have met around the backblocks. Have a great trip :))
AnswerID: 97261

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 16:55

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 16:55
yep and you would be surprised how many get harrassed in the communities. I travel alone always and the only problem I have had is to scare of some people looking for a place to sleep (my van) at derby. I have met 2 chicks travelling along the grr seemed happy enough. Advantage is if you get stuck or even just a flat it can cause fist fights with the amount of people trying to help - once you get out of Perth there is a desperate shortage of Women in WA with towns comprising of 60 - 75% Blokes (australian beureu of statistics)
FollowupID: 355883

Reply By: Gajm (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 17:26

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 17:26
Gday Kate, when you say you and a friend, do you mean in 2 cars or just the 1?... if it's in 2 cars then the only thing I'd add is keep some information to yourselves when talking on the UHF.

When I go with a mate we usualy talk about where we might camp via handheld UHF's on low power. Occasionaly you get someone who hears your coversation on the UHF and is just a little too interested in where your cars full of gear will be parked for the night.

If you don't have low power handhelds, then talk about finding a good spot to camp, get drunk, and sight in the rifles, should be enough to keep people away.
AnswerID: 97272

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 19:39

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 19:39
Those are good points. Reminds me of "loose lips sink ships" :)) As for women getting hassled in some of the communities, I suspect that they are inhabitants, in which case the women often give as much as they get. One night in a campground some of the locals were carrying on so badly that I was afraid for safety of the woman involved. Talked to the park manager who explained a few things to me about local relationships and why he wasn't going to worry the police. I can tell many stories about that aspect of travelling, not all of them bad but we all come to different understandings in this area I guess.
FollowupID: 355911

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 20:38

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 20:38
nuh inhabitants getting hasseled is a nightly occurence and doesnt make the news unless someone is killed teachers and Nurses do make the news when hasseled and stalked which is fairly often. Nurses at Warmin were recently evacuated from quarters and now travel back and forward. But that is at the communities which are closed to whities anyway. I would be more worried about some of the freaks and weirdos you get in some of the mining towns
FollowupID: 355923

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 08:05

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 08:05
Not much different to some white communities. Was talking to an ambo who was stabbed by a heroin addict, and a nurse who was bashed in an a@e ward. But it seems that as per the original post, there are some places to be wary of going. Dunno about mining towns, my son works in mines over there and he'd yet to have any probs. I should talk, this place(Gold Coast) attracts every devo and con man in Oz. Doesn't seem to bother most of our million tourists. I guess when travelling you have to trust your gut instinct and use your common sense.
FollowupID: 355992

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 19:33

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 19:33
Hey Kate, how you doing?

When I go away, I quite often find myself bush camping in remote spots, along with other solo women travellers. I always make a point of keeping to myself around camp, and respecting everyones privacy, but say at a washing up area, or another communal area, well, I'm just a camp tart!

Tracy reckons I would talk underwater! Nearly ALL of the solo female travellers had been swagging it for many weeks straight, and had never come upon any problems. We have talked for hours, and they just seem to get on with where they are going, and nothing seems to deter them.

My post you were referring to relates to info which was gleaned from a 4 x 4 mag, and may have been a little biased.

I wish you all the best in your travels, and may see you on the road one day.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 97300

Reply By: Member - Kate N (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 10:11

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 10:11
hey everyone Thanks for the feed back
Good to hear there are lots of women getting out there and
enjoying the country.
Wolfie, Footloose glad you (and lots of others it seems) have had
good times out-there
Daveo - gee thanks mate for the info - Chicks getting hassled
'cause there in short supply huh... Good lord - makes me glad
we tend to stay away from pubs etc (eye roll)
Okay then - use our brains - listen to our guts - have a good time
- we can do that : > Lets go fishin - see ya's out there : >

AnswerID: 97411

Sponsored Links