Black Widow Fridge Slide

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 15:58
ThreadID: 20245 Views:6208 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I was about to order a Black Widow twin drawer system for my 2003 GU Patrol when the dealer asked me whether I wanted the fridge slide on the left hand side or the right hand side. As I have no experience in matters such as this, I'm wondering whether anyone can enlighten me on the pros and cons of which side to mount the fridge. I'm not going to order until I get some feedback from someone out there who's been there and done it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 16:48

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 16:48
Hi eejay,

What side are the power outlets on?
If you have a spare wheel mounted on the rear door or on a carrier, I would place the fridge on the opposite side.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Glenn
AnswerID: 97268

Follow Up By: eejay - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 17:34

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 17:34
Hi GLenn,

I'll put the power outlets in when I decide where the fridge goes.

eejay
FollowupID: 355889

Reply By: Member - Johnno - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 17:00

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 17:00
G'Day eejay

I have an Outback drawer system with fridge slide on driver's side . This was dictated by the fact that my 'Everkool" fridge has it's controls at it's right hand end (as you look at it face on). Obviously, fridge controls are best facing rear/or at rear of vehicle if on top, for ease of adjustment as even when slide is out, part of the fridge remains inside vehicle and controls would be difficult to adjust.

johnno
AnswerID: 97269

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 17:13

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 17:13
G'day eejay,

I have a Patrol with a "half" drawer system on the passenger's side only (I wanted to be able to put one of the small 3rd row seats in beside it but never have). I now have the Engel on a slide on the floor on driver's side (where seat would have been bolted in). I originally had the fridge on top of the single drawer but even though I am over 6 foot, it became a pain in the rrrrze to see what was in there and try to get stuff out from lower down; especially for my wife. It effectively meant that she had to get up onto the back step to use the fridge effectively.

Having said that, I still wish I had a second drawer, but if so, I think I would prefer to have a "double bunk" type and still have fridge on the floor level.

As for which side, with the Patrol, I'd suggest the passenger's side would be best if you think you might end up putting a drop down table on the inside of the larger rear door. I have a home made one which drops down, but once it's down I can't pull the fridge out on it's slide to get stuff out.............so there you are making lunch on the "tailgate" and you've got stuff all over the place and somebody comes up and says they need "x" out of the fridge......take everything off the bench, close it and pull fridge out etc etc...a pain.
Also, with fridge on passenger's side, you *may* be able to access the contents of the fridge without opening the larger rear door, (but I doubt it).

There, that should have thoroughly confused you......sorry.....hahaha
AnswerID: 97271

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 17:24

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 17:24
Prefered choice really,
mine is on drivers side, I find this better when raining or very windy..reason...at least u can close the small read door while u need to get stuff out of fridge in windy or wet conditions, as fitting slide on passengers side will still mean you have to have both doors open to slide it out.

Roachie, dunno who or how your rear table was made but mine was home job built by original owner and when its down (in use) i can still open slide draw all the way without having to lift the table back up against the door. It works a treat really, such a simple idea and comes in sooo handy on trips, as you well know matey.
Cheers Ange
FollowupID: 355888

Reply By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 18:07

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 18:07
Hi eejay,

Couple of things to my mind is that you've gotta have your fridge enclosed in a hutch - otherwise there's not much point having it on a slide - pull it out, something slips down behind it, and can't close it.. a bit pointless.

Pretty much gotta put your fridge on the deck - not on top of a drawer - unless you're married to an amazon, or the back of your car is low to the ground - ie, you probably aren't going to lift it... Make sure you simulate having your fridge at the height it will be - and opening it - and you are happy with that.

We went with Offroad Systems:

- fridge on the deck
- three _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx next to it
- modular - can remove one side and use the seat
- modular - can put two _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx side by side if I want
- can move from car to car with different wings
- cheap - $1800
- half the weight of comparable systems

see http://www.lcool.org/technical/90_series/ivans_prado/ivan.html

Agree with Roachie about the table - best thing ever...

I can have table down, and open the top two _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx all the way - bottom drawer a little bit - and pull the fridge all the way out... ;-)

Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 97279

Reply By: Glenno - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 19:37

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 19:37
I put mine on the left hand side. It balances out the fat bastard driving (me). Otherwise its a fat bastard and a heavy fridge on one side, and some camping gear on the other.

Cheers,

Glenn.
AnswerID: 97303

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 20:55

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 20:55
With mine it depended on what side the fridge lid opened... in our case the lid opens up and back toward the drivers side, in which case it's not much point in putting the fridge on the passengers side then is there???
AnswerID: 97323

Reply By: GazzaS (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 21:20

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 21:20
Hi eejay

we have a Prado and fridge on passenger side - really no choice as the door (one big one) hinges on drivers side. Found out over xmas that the thing that gets used the most is the fridge. Seemed to be constantly going to it to get something out or put something away again.

Have you got your fridge yet? if so sit it in the back of the vehicle then spend time over the next 2 -3 hours going to the fridge, opening the back doors, opening the fridge, checking the temperature, closing it, closing the doors etc. Also try and sit it up on the approx height of the _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx you want and see if you (and the rest of the family) can reach in etc.

If you haven't got the fridge yet then try it with a cardboard box or whatever.

We were lucky / had good advice about the location of ours but I would stronly recommend some simulations as once it is in very hard to change!

good luck
AnswerID: 97328

Sponsored Links