Trading from GQ to GU, looking for input

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 19:41
ThreadID: 20252 Views:2919 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm currently living in Darwin, and drive a '90 GQ 4.2 petrol, I've spent a bit on it over the years (LR Tank, compressor, OME, Coopers etc).

Its a good car, although cosmetically leaves a bit to be desired. Now, I'm planning on driving to Broome around easter and doing some side trips on the way (Gibb River Road, Mitchel Plat etc) Whilst my car is reasonably well kitted out, this would be the longest trip I've done, and I would need to spend a bit of money on replacing my 'spares' (hoses etc, I need to buy a 2nd spare tyre and wheel), also the car is due a wheel alignment, service etc.

I'm in a position where I can easily upgrade to a current model GU using salary sacrafice, and am very tempted. I plan on getting a 05 GU ST-L with factory fitted snorkel, cargo barrier, winch, driving lights etc. 3.0 Diesel.

Now, my pros and cons. Do I wait until after the trip, and therefore not really worry about body damage etc, but have the higher risk of mechanical break down (older car) as well as fuel costs (petrol car) and costs I won't recover (spares etc).

Or do I get the new car, get enough K's on it to get its first service, buy spares for it (I plan on keeping the car for at least 5 years), but then risk body damage etc to a new car.

Now, I have always espoused the phillosophy that a 4wd is meant to get scratched up and shouldn't look pretty.....but its a different matter to actually driving a new car out the show room floor and within a couple of weeks be on a two week trip...

Appreciate you input,

Cheers
Dog.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: member-Diamond(vic) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 20:00

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 20:00
bernie vic once told me when i seen all the scratches and dents in his new prado.
every one of theese scratches/dents has a story behind it.
whats the diference between scratching it in the first week or the first year just go out and enjoy your self
AnswerID: 97310

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 21:53

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 21:53
G'day Dog,
Welcome to the forum.....
I'm with Diamond here......your new car ain't gunna be new forever; the first scratch is the hardest. However, just because you're gunna be goin' over some rough roads is no reason why it should finish the trip with a shyte-load of scratches and dents......My 2000 GU has been to the Cape twice, central oz about 4 times, around the top road (gulf of carpentaria), SA/Vic Border Track and numerous other "lesser" trips. I have no real scratches to speak of and no dents either.

Geez, I'm starting to think that maybe I'm being TOO careful.

If you do it now, grab the new jobbie and enjoy it....tomorrow may be too late (but I hope it's not). Only thing I'd add is that my "personal preference" (as most regulars on here know only too-well) would be to go for the 4.2T/D.
AnswerID: 97333

Follow Up By: Dog (NT) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:32

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:32
Hi Roachie,

Thanks for the input. I'm getting consistent advice, so I think tomorrow I might order myself a new car.

Funny thing is, I've always laughed at people who were overly proud of the appearance of their 4wd, but suddenly when I'm looking at a shiny new one of my own its a bit different....

Can you tell me why you prefer the 4.2? I know there was problems with the earlier 3.0's but I understand its considered to be 'bug free' now.

What are people's thoughts with going for the Nissan fitted winch and snorkel? My inital reaction was to go for them because its easier for the salary packaging and easier to just collect it from the dealer fitted out (and then drop in to ARB to get the compressor, turbo timer and dual battery fitted)

Cheers
Dog
FollowupID: 355941

Follow Up By: Paul - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:57

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:57
Roachie,

I like the 4.2 too simply for the better bottom end response , flatter power curve, but its $6g more that the 3l which just takes it out of my price range so I have to settle for the 3L.

Sure i could forgo the luxuries in the 3L ST-S and get a 4.2DX for 2g more.

But if I'm going to be sacficie some salary to get it....i'll take the luxuries.....plus the Boss is sick of the vinyl in the DX !!!

Paul
FollowupID: 355951

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 10:08

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 10:08
Dog,
Let's assume the engine problems on the 3L have been cured, and I have no reason to believe otherwise. I still like the 4.2 because of it's old technology....if anything goes wrong in the bush either I or somebody else has a better than average chance of fixing it and getting home. With the 3L however, I have heard too many stories of the dash board lighting up all pretty with red and orange lights......it's a tow-away job at that stage. There's air flow sensors, black boxes that don't like moisture, electronic "fly-by-wire" throttle control....etc etc.
What I DO like about the 3L is (ironically) it's ability to have another "black box" snapped into place (like DTronic or Unichip etc) and hey presto you've got 20% power increase.
The other thing is (and I'm a bit old fashioned) I just can't come to terms with a 3T truck being pushed along by a 4 cylinder motor.
FollowupID: 356018

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 21:58

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 21:58
If your worried about damage, dont ever get a new car. First trip to shopping center you will be bleep tered...

But then again, what would you get for the GQ, petrols with gear are only pullin $8-10k now :( It would be worth more than that.
AnswerID: 97338

Follow Up By: Dog (NT) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:36

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:36
If I got 8k for it I'd be happy. Its a good car, and reasonably well fitted out , but cosmetically challenged.

If I sell privately to someone who sees the value in the snorkel, LR tank, OME shocks, dual battery system etc, then I might get a decent price, but a dealer would just see the scratches and damaged flares etc (a legacy of dense forrests around the Brindabella's!)

Although I guess in Darwin there are more people who are looking for a 4wd than down south, so I may give it a crack selling it myself.
FollowupID: 355944

Reply By: Paul - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:48

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 22:48
Hey Dog,

I'm in a similar prediciment at the moment.

Currently own a 3L DX 2000 which I looking at offloading, to replace it, i'm looking at a new 3L ST-S as a salary sac / novated lease.

If your doing a novated lease you'll need to do the k's to minimse your FBT. It depends on your job and whether you'll struggle to do the 25,000k (11% FBT) or 40,000k's (7% FBT) per year.

I agree with the comments above the first scratch is the most painful, I feel its more painful when you don't do it, cause if you do it at least you should be having fun.

My DX has a couple of brusies which were done within a week of each other. First one at Stockton where I got stuck in some ruts and I ventured too close to a sand bar, low down passanger door, I was having fun.

Second one, was having a disagrement with the boss about toilets of all things .... as I was reversing I backed into one of those foot high treated pine logs the National Parks love to place around all the picnic areas (Thanks NSWPWS).......THAT ONE WAS NOT SO MUCH FUN AS ABOUT 10 PEOPLE WERE WATCHING !!!

If your worried about breaking down.....that could happen at any time be it in your GQ or the new GU (now theres an opening for a bunch of people to throw 2 bob in), at least if your in the GU and you suffer a mechnical problem your covered by the factory warranty

Paul
AnswerID: 97354

Follow Up By: Dog (NT) - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 23:11

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 23:11
Hi Paul,

Are you happy with the novated lease? I drive about 50k a day to/from work, so I reckon I can crack around 25K minimum.

Thats why I am keen to go to a 3L diesel, the fuel costs here in the NT are huge, and doing it through salary sacrafice will save on money.

You are right about breakdowns, although a new car *should* be less prone to breakdown than a 1990 model!
FollowupID: 355956

Follow Up By: Paul - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 23:59

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 23:59
Dog,

Have not done it yet, have my final quote, just waiting for Payroll to tell me how much it effects my take home salary. They its pen to paper. I live 11km from work,

There is a guy in the office who live 6km from work and he does it too.

They way I looked at it was this.......

A New Patrol ST-S with Alloy bar, Driving Lights, Snokle, Bars with Alloy tray , Extended Drive warranty, Tow Pack, Window Tint, Air Guide is going to cost me approx $1032 per month post tax (this includes ALL running expenses) Residual after 5 years is $14,000, if I don't get that somethings wrong.

I then compare this to my 2nd hand DX that I paid for out of my house loan (which we have not paid a cent off)
When you factor in repairs I have had done (out of house loan again)
I'm paying approx $250 interest per month
Then theres the running cost, if I then say after 5 years I want to have the same residual amount owing on it as I do a New ST-S it boils down to the DX will cost me $1173 per month

So it cheaper for me to sell the DX and get a novated lease on a brand new patrol.

The other way I look at it is it'll make me get off my arse and travel this great country we live in with my Camper and family more often.

Paul
FollowupID: 355967

Reply By: angler - Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 23:54

Tuesday, Feb 08, 2005 at 23:54
Don't know how to put a file on here however if you go to the patrol forum there is a file there about running costs of most 4WD's in the file area.

hope this helps, I love my 3 litre auto, only 30K so far and can't complain about anything. It loved those open roads in the NT when I was there last year.

AnswerID: 97369

Reply By: Member - muzzgit - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 00:36

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 00:36
Hi Dog, the only input I can offer is to look at leasing, as you are, but look at getting a second hander.

I have done this. As long as the vehicle is no more than 3 years old you can lease in exactly the same way. You may be able to get a patrol with some of these extra's already on it, and you can still get the dealer to add more stuff to it, costing you less in the long run. My repayments are much lower, and I got the car I wanted (3.0 GU ST auto) with a few extra's already on it (barwork,tinting,towbar) so all I had to add was better springs the rear, spotties, dual battery setup and new BFG AT's.

Saved me heaps of money !

Cheers,

Muzz
AnswerID: 97373

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 14:39

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 14:39
I prefer the 4.2ltr however as for price and economy the 3ltr beats the bigger engine hands down. If you are going to tow more than 2tonn then the 3ltr manual is the go for aforesaid economy.
The so called bugs have been removed but you never know wiht car co's they are always changing the internals and one never knows.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 97461

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 16:35

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 16:35
Mate if I was buying a new MEGA TOY like that I couldn't think of anything better than taking it out and giving it a good ol' christining! I reckon you'd be mad to take the old bugger out when you could be driving the new one!

LOL - I can just imagine a bloke driving out the nissan yard throwing his hat out the window yelling "YEEEEHAAA!" and going straight to the bush! :-)

If you don't take it you'll end up needing to go on another trip to try it out anyway!

AnswerID: 97487

Follow Up By: Dog (NT) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 20:20

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 20:20
Jeff,

Damm, you are right! Driving out of the dealer and straight onto the Gibb River Road sounds great (although practically, I probably need to get it to its first service first, which I assume is 1000k)

Just got all the quote off the leasing agent today, and they are quoting me a very attractive price, so I think I'll bit the bullet tomorrow and put in an order...just hope they can deliver before easter!!!
FollowupID: 356097

Sponsored Links