Defender 99 TD5 - CB installation help

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 22, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2026 Views:2877 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I'm about to wire a Uniden 090 (AM+FM) unit into my defender and I'm wondering has anybody any advice on the following:

1) Where's the best place to mount the CB unit
2) What's the best route for the coax reception cables
3) Where is it best to wire into the power and what route should I use for the wires.

I'd prefer not to drill any holes in the body panels to route the cables if possible. However, if a neat solution is via drilled panels then so be it!

Hope you can help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Darryn - Monday, Sep 23, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 23, 2002 at 00:00
Mike Defenders are like most newer 4WD's these days in that there is no where to put extra radios. I seen a Defender last week end with a UHF mounted on the dash right in front of the passenger on the left. You could check around someone could have an overhead console or dash pod for a Defender. As you will need 2 antennas (UHF + 27mhz) for this set mount them on the bullbar as far appart as you can get them and as high on the bullbar as possible. Run the coax cables down to the chassis rails and under the front panels then through the engine bay to the firewall where you should find grommets with the other vehicle wiring going through and thread them through these. Try and keep the coax for the 27mhz antenna away from the vehicle wiring as much as possible. Run your power direct from the battery with heavier wire than comes with the set. When you have finished see if you can find someone with an SWR meter who knows how to use it to check the 27mhz antenna.
Regd's Darryn
AnswerID: 6835

Reply By: ALEX - Monday, Sep 23, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 23, 2002 at 00:00
G'day,
I mounted my 2-ways on the centre console - the uhf on one side, the CB on the other and the HF on the back. If you've got the centre console this is a pretty neat way to go. I fed the co-axial down into the battery box under the passenger seat and then thru holes already there to the chassis rails, under the floor, up the firewall and along inside the wing to the bullbar. Power cables came out of the battery box the same way - I used 10 amp or 4mm I can't remember which. Hope this helps. Cheers, Alex
AnswerID: 6838

Sponsored Links