24 Volt 4WD

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 19:42
ThreadID: 20285 Views:3480 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

I imported a Nissan Safari (GQ Patrol) recently. I am pretty happy with it - although it does have one main downside - It is 24 volt. It has two 12v batteries. I do not know wether to buy a reducer to 12 volt (30amp) or to but a device that allows you to draw 12 volts from one of the batteries then evens out the batteries (not sure whats its called).

I am in the process of getting it ready for a big trip with the chescold in the back and a camper trailer (with fridge).

Any suggestions?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 19:46

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 19:46
Get a Waeco or Engal fridge that will run of 24VDC. It'll be heaps more efficiant.
Buy 24 - 12v power supplies from Jaycar for the other equipment.
AnswerID: 97526

Follow Up By: BamBam - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 20:04

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 20:04
Cheers Jeff
I like the Engels yes they do draw much less - but ideaaly I would keep the Chescold a) because I alreay have it and b) I quite like the option of running it on gas when in one place for a long time.

Up to date I haven't minded taking it out as part of my camping set up and hooking it to a 3l litre gas bottle (which last two weeks).

I'll check out Jaycar - Thanks
FollowupID: 356095

Reply By: Peter 2 - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 20:23

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 20:23
My Humvee is 24v (after having 6 12v toyota's) and I reckon 24v is heaps better especially starting, half the current flow too.
What you need is a Redarc charge equaliser, as you stated it equalises the chareg level of the batteries. You can draw 12v from either or both and it will float both batteries at the same potential (voltage/charge level).
I've had one on the Humvee since I got the truck (now nearly 3 years) with absolutely zero probs. My Autofridge is 12 or 24v (most late model frig's using Danfoss compressors are) and I run it on 24v, it pulls just over one amp.
all the other accessories run from 12v, currently they are: Barrett HF, GPS, Stereo, CB x 2, air compressor, camping lights x 2, AA battery charger, 300 watt inverter, CDMA phone and anything else that can be plugged in walkmans etc.
Wouldn't advise using a12v winch though ;-))
I've changed the camper taillight globes to 24v.
If you need 12v in the camper run a seperate feed via an Andersen plug or similar.
24 to 12v transformers are very inefficient and are old hat these days.
AnswerID: 97533

Reply By: theshadows - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 21:49

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 21:49
check your ACC circult it should be 12 volt.
the lighting, main , power are 24 but your ACC should be 12 check it with a multimeter. the jap GQ are nearly the same as the AUS MQ wireing.

as for blaised when drawing from a battery with an 12 volt circult dont worry about it as the batteries automaticly re balance them selves when the ignition is turned on.

if the jap inverter is to small for the load and truck supplier can fit a larger one for about $80 .

AnswerID: 97554

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 22:16

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 22:16
It is very easy to change the heating element in the fridge to 24volt. if chescold can not supply an element any heating element manifacturer can make one to your sample. Eric.
AnswerID: 97569

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 07:37

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 07:37
Hi Bambam
I had a 24v patrol, you will find a 12v circuit in the accersories, I branched everything from that curcuit. I also ran a seperate curcuit from 1 battery for the fridge. Dont let one battery go down a little cause the partol will need the full 24v to start.

good luck mate

AnswerID: 97600

Follow Up By: BamBam - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 19:45

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 19:45
To everyone who replied

Thank you so much for your invaluable feed - back. I now know what to do.


FollowupID: 356820

Sponsored Links