4x4 Awnings

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 20:37
ThreadID: 20287 Views:17172 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Need to place an vehicle roof rack mounted awning out over the back of a 100 series off a Rhino rack.

aware of Gunyah and Camp Out

Looking at whats available with contact details

Also whats good and bad points from your experiences and recommendations

Thanks

Harrow
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jim - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 20:53

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 20:53
Harrow,

I use a Howling Moon awning on the side of my roof rack on my 100 series, because I back up to our RV3 Oztent which has an awning as well. Galley etc are in _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx in the back of the cruiser. Advantage of the side awning is that you can use the car as a wind break and get a large covered area to use when you stop during the day.

Have fun with it.

Jim
Jim
VKS 737
Call Sign Mobile 2737

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 97543

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 20:56

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 20:56
Hi Harrow,

I have a Campout vinyl awning on one side of the roof rack, and a Kaymar canvas awning on the other. Both are great, easy to set up, easy to put away. I bought an extra holder from Campout and mounted the Kaymar awning on that as the Kaymar supplied one didn't suit my needs. The Campout is larger length ways, and was also cheaper than the Kaymar. The Campout is long enough to roll the swag out underneath, which is great if it is raining.

Campout

Kaymar

Cheers

Glenn

AnswerID: 97544

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 22:59

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 22:59
This is the sort of project that should be tackled by yourself.

This is what I have done.

On BOTH sides of my roof-rack basket, I have a length of 12.7 mm. square tube bolted, and on each of these, I have welded some 6.0 mm. wire hooks I rolled up myself. Now, before anyone starts with.."don't have a welder..", doesn't matter, just use open eye bolts or something. These line up exactly with the eyelets on a poly tarp.

On the other end of the poly tarp, it rolls up on a 32 mm. diameter aluminium tube, which is fastened to the other eyelets, and then packs away into a 100 mm. storm-water pipe, with a screwed end cap.

Now, when I get to camp, I pull out 2 weapon pegs I have made. These are simply 12 mm. diameter rods at 450 mm. long. Each one has a chain link welded to it. Pace out 10 paces from my car, and belt one bugger in, back to the car, walk the width of the proposed shade, then out again 10 paces, and repeat the belting thing.

I then have permanently attached to these pegs 300 mm. of heavy chain, to which 2 of those tensioner springs are attached.... in PARALLEL. I then hook a motorcycle tie down strap to each spring, and leave the on the ground.

Roll out the tarp, which I attach to the bar on my basket, roll it out, insert a collapsable aluminium pole, hook a strap over the top, and pull firm. Repeat for the other end.

The tarp never touches the ground, and it is a one man operation. I went overkill on pegs, springs & tie-downs, and I have had this thing up in I reckon 80 km winds..... not a worry.

To put away, just reverse the process.... the chain welded to the peg makes it REAL easy to get the buggers out of the ground.

Like I said, it's all a bit over kill, but it works, and works well, and will last.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 97575

Follow Up By: phil - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 13:28

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 13:28
I have something similar with square tube attached on the side. However I have a length of smaller square tube that slides inside the bolted down section, both front and back, and these extend the tarp out the front and back giving a much larger covered area. When not in use they are inside the permanent section.

Phil I
FollowupID: 356206

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 23:26

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 23:26
Primus make one ... got nfi how much it is.
AnswerID: 97578

Reply By: peterK - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 00:37

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 00:37
I have a side one from Bob Burrage - Australian Outback Bush Gear - from Wollongong,It was about $240

I know he also makes rear awnings as well

You can see some pictures and my installation info
in my blog

AnswerID: 97589

Reply By: fozzy - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 07:30

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 07:30
harrow
nice cheap and easy way is to find a tarp size u want
attatch to back of rack using cable ties(may only get 2 eyelts which should be enough ad roll poles/pegs rope up in tarp an use strap or ocky strap to tie to rack
can put old socks on ends if wind is making noise on ends
onother way is attatch same as above but say for 10 foot tarp attatch 5 feet to rack and the other five feet folds out over side of vehicle as well giving coverage on back and one side-simply fold back over and roll up as before.
all nice and simple and if u want more/less tarp coverage then buy another tarp.
a lot of people have tarps so just borrow a few til u get sixe u want and where eylets are and go and buy one
works pretty good and nice and easy to use
if want to take of car simply cut the cable ties
cheers
fozzy
AnswerID: 97599

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 08:14

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 08:14
Fozzy.

"onother way is attatch same as above but say for 10 foot tarp attatch 5 feet to rack and the other five feet folds out over side of vehicle as well giving coverage on back and one side-simply fold back over and roll up as before. "

I am about to make another unit, for my other vehicle, and I am so much going to do this folding thingy!!

Cheers

Wolfie
FollowupID: 356170

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 10:50

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 10:50
Where abouts are you?

theres a good place in Mansfield right next door to teh BP called Snowy River Rug Company that do GREAT awnings that roll out and you can pack away..
AnswerID: 97629

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 14:26

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 14:26
I made my own for the surf as most awnings a) did not go over the back but to the side.
b) were bloody outragously expensive!

Have a look at my rig photo's (especially down the bottom) to see how mine works. The way I designed it was NO BLOODY ROPES! It's free standing and takes about 2min to put up and take down. It works well. And because it's fitted to the Rhino Basket when the basket is off, so are the poles.

The tent poles are fixed to the basket and are telescopic so when you pull up you just under the wing nut and extend them out. The other two tent pole are inside the car along the floor permantally. Pull them out, put them together on the ground and extend them up to meet the eylets of the top poles. Then put the tarp over and put the 4 pegs in. ( the top poles have holes drilled into them so the tarp just clips in). Great for shade, it doesn't look big but if you park the car facing accross the sun it projects a good amount of shade. Keeps your try too!
AnswerID: 97648

Follow Up By: Casnat - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 15:58

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 15:58
Hi Jeff,

had seen the photo before and wondered how it stood up with no ropes.

How stable is it in a reasonable wind? Could you leave it up overnight in foul weather and throw the swag down underneath?

Trevor
FollowupID: 356239

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 16:07

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 16:07
I always leave it up overnight. It stops the dew settling on all my chairs etc. I just chuck everything under there before I go to bed. It also help when packing up in the rain as it's the last thing to come down and only takes a few seconds to do.
I havn't had it errected in REALLY windy situations yet but it handles a swift seabreaze on the beach ok when big sandpegs are used. I find using a couple of ocky straps between the pegs and the bottom of the tarp help absorb those gusts of wind.
Because it's all held together by pressure it's pretty tough, the only way it's going to come apart is if one of those galv poles actually bend or break or if the mounts on the roof rack where to give way. It would have to take a pretty strong wind to do that.
If you look at the picture carefully you can see you I put a lot of strain on it all by pushing the height up so far as to actually bend the poles up a little, the makes it really snug and tightens everything up as well as making it slant a little to allow rain run off down the back.
I reckon it's brilliant, I spent months playing around with tarps, PVC pipe, all sorts of weird and wonderful ideas and that one was SO simple and is what I've stuck with, works well for me.
FollowupID: 356240

Sponsored Links