CRUISE BREAKS!!

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 21:51
ThreadID: 20289 Views:2295 Replies:7 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Ha you can log off now patrol men coz it still got us home!!
Was out at Mt Monger today bushbashing off the tracks where Nissans fear to tread when I smelt diff oil and on closer examination I had done 4 out of 6 axle studs. Like a true Cruiser we finished the job and headed home. I know this is not uncommon but why? The first most obvios answeris giving them a darn hard time but I would have thought that if 4 had broke then the last 2 should have.
I had problems with my camper breaking them but this was eventually traced to a bent axle. I have been told it happens if they come loose they can break or if the locating dowels come out (I thought they were just that-locating dowells) Or is it just something that happens. Oh btw it was a 75 seies not a 79 with the beefier studs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 21:56

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 21:56
What's that old song? "three wheels on my wagon and I'm still rolling along".

Your probably lucky the last two studs held, thye would have been taking a hell of a load.
AnswerID: 97558

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 21:58

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 21:58
yea surprised me too, but I am well versed in the limp home technique if they had gone
FollowupID: 356116

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 22:01

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 22:01
Well versed? Must be a tojo thing...limping home. LOL
FollowupID: 356118

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 12:56

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 12:56
Hey Patrolman Pat, Kenny Rogers sings song for that,,,, You picked a fine time to leave me 'Loose Wheel'.!!!!
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 356202

Reply By: Catchy snr - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 22:19

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 22:19
Hi Davoe I used to work for a mining company in the north of WA and at one stage we started to do the same as you on all of our inpitters (term used for the vechals used in a pitt) and we received an memo stating it was caused by putting the wrong spare tyres on the wrong utes , we were using cruisers and patrols yes I know that the rims fit but we were told there was a fraction of a differance in the stud holes and this was chewing the studs of . I am going to be quite interested in the replyes to this because there was a lot of conjector on whether this was a lot of bull or it came from someone who knew what they were talking about . Cheers Catchy snr
AnswerID: 97570

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 17:13

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 17:13
I am refering to the actual axle studs that hold the axle in not the wheel studs. Btw where was that? I have never come accrss a mining company that used Patrols as work vehicles Landrovers are more common (I have seen 2)
FollowupID: 356251

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 22:48

Wednesday, Feb 09, 2005 at 22:48
Hi Davoe, I have had this happen to me before & from experience I have found that the first indication you get that an axle housing stud is loose or broken is the tell tale sign of oil weeping around the axle flange gasket. The most common cause apart from overload is that the studs have not been tensioned to the correct torque (35Nm) when maintenace has been carried out. The cone washers are there to make sure there is no movement between the stud & the axle. I carry a spare set of studs plus a set of cone washers as well. Usually if you find one broken, there is a bit of it protruding out of where the cone washer sits & can easily removed by hand otherwise an 'Easyout' (broken stud remover) is required. As you mentioned the 78 & 79 series improved on this by putting in larger diameter studs, however you can modify your axle housing to the larger size studs by using the 100 series axle housings & getting your axle stud holes machined to suit the larger studs. I believe there is another modification on the market where extra dowell pins are fitted between the stud positions to alleviate the load on the studs. Cheers.
AnswerID: 97574

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 00:19

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 00:19
Couldnt be more spot on topcat! I popped 8 on my last 45 series before discovering the reason for the breakages. The benefit was I got damn quick at changing the hubs. Check the torque on them often, and use loctite stud lock on them when putting them in. One thing thats stumped me, where the hell in Kal are there 4wd tracks to bust hubs though?? This place is flat!! when going for the easy outs, dont go cheapies, they have a habit of snapping of in the already sheared stud, and high strenght steel is a pig to drill out. Get a decent set, and get the right handle for them. Don Kyatt perth (or the blue castle in Kal) sell em about $2.75 each or so for the stud, washer, cone and nut.
FollowupID: 356148

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 09:12

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 09:12
Ben that is what made me wonder what causes it. Besides a couple or 3 of washed out creek crossings I wasnt exactly giving it a hard time when it happened.
Topcat. My experiences have been a bit different to yours in that they usually bust off flush or in a bit. I f the mechanic has to drill out 2 or more they get a second hand hub coz it is cheaper than labour
FollowupID: 356175

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 11:32

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 11:32
Davoe-
If you ever feel like having a damn good laugh, go to toyota and ask the price of a genuine replacement!
As I recall I managed to do one coming out of a car park once- I put that down to too much play built up between the hub and the cone washers though. The mention by topcat that "there is a bit of it protruding out of where the cone washer sits & can easily removed by hand " gives credit to the studs loosening off, then the play causing the shearing. If you are putting the hubs back on and not a mechanic, get 2 of the nuts onto one end of a stud screwed into the hub, lock them together (tighten them into each other) and then put the 35Nm onto it so the stud is right into the hub, then do the same force on the stud nuts once the axle is on with the cones.
I found just hand-screwing in the studs into the hub then torquing the final assembly caused more breakages.
FollowupID: 356195

Reply By: Happy GU Owner - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 12:50

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 12:50
Davoe,

My experience with breakage of studs, and the continual breakage of studs on the rear diff of the mostly unstoppable cruiser, is that the rear wheel bearings will be stuffed.

We were continually breaking studs, we would check wheels, axles, studs, nuts, and even the bearings themselves, and all seemed ok. It is only when we replaced the bearings that the studs stopped breaking.

Mic
AnswerID: 97634

Reply By: Rod W - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 15:33

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 15:33
Davoe, you have used and I quote "Was out at Mt Monger today bushbashing off the tracks", well if this is true then you got your just deserts. "Bushbashing" and "off the tracks" gives us responsible 4wd owners a bad name and does nothing but continues to close us out of areas.
AnswerID: 97667

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 15:57

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 15:57
You are to quick to judge Rod. I was pegging rab drilling lines and flagging them in my work ute - there is no way I would be doing that in my vehicle just for the hell of it
FollowupID: 356238

Follow Up By: Rod W - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 16:09

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 16:09
Hey! You used the terminology.
FollowupID: 356241

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 16:13

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 16:13
yea thats coz thats exactly what i was doing but not for fun for cash, click on my rig pic and you will see the type of bush bashing that can be required for work at times. Not all 4wding is for recreation
FollowupID: 356245

Reply By: Catchy snr - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 19:21

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 19:21
Hi Davoe I used to work for Hamersley Iron in Tom Price started in 89 , they had quite a lot of Patrols utes and duel cabs , they were allright I suppose but they did have a lot of plastic in them and with all the rough treatment the grill would be the first thing you would see hanging out of them then other bits and pieces would crack or fall of them but they were as reliable as the tojos . Cheers Catchy snr
AnswerID: 97708

Reply By: govo - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 20:34

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 20:34
UUUUUMMMMM....this must be a common tojo problem hey..never herd of it happening to the bullet proof patrols.....and ah ROD W..stop being a do gooder..we all have fun out bush..( doing some bush bashing ) it's just a saying mate
AnswerID: 97724

Follow Up By: Rod W - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:11

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:11
Spose you're right... must give myself a good talking too.
FollowupID: 356368

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 18:33

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 18:33
bullet proof patrols? no one told the gu run by the surveying contracter sitting at the side of the pit with its steering rods lying on the ground
FollowupID: 356444

Sponsored Links