turbo hose blown-off

Submitted: Monday, Sep 23, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2029 Views:1362 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
In a recent trip in my 3l turbo diesel GU Patrol I had the top rubber hose connectng the intercooler to the turbo blow off its mounting onto the actual alloy intercooler intake. This occurred twice under fairly high revs (in the order of 3.5K to 4K). After the second time I've been reticent to push the revs over 3K until it's been check out by the Nissan dealer. Luckily I was back on the black top and on my way home!
The vehicle was bought in July 2000 and has done 35,000 kms. Prior to taking it back I was wondering if any other forum reader has had a similar experience.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew O - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2002 at 00:00
Just ... I tighten the hose clamps every time I change the oil - I've travelled through some pretty bad roads and not had this happen, but the clamps do need tightening at the end of a trip. Don't rely on a Nissan service to do this - I doubt very much if they take the plastic engine cover off. I'm also wondering why you need to rev it past 3K - max torque is at 2K, so I drive in the range 1700 - 2700 (except on fwy where 110kph = 3K rpm)
AnswerID: 6864

Reply By: Craig - Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Sep 26, 2002 at 00:00
I had exactly the same thing happen to me (GUII - 80K km). I called the NRMA road side care before inspecting more closely. When I called the NRMA again to cancel the call out he informed me that he has seen that happen "quite a few times to that motor". I've tried to fix the problem with a second hose clamp.
AnswerID: 6968

Sponsored Links