PDA & CompactFlash GPS

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 22:34
ThreadID: 20321 Views:2269 Replies:8 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
With the amoung of knowlage on this forum
I have just bought a Ipaq hx2750 PDA
Could some one please advice me of their opinion of how well the CF cards work on these as a GPS
Also how well does the CE version of of Oziexplorer work on a PDA
And just one more
Can you attatch a etrax GPS in some way to a PDA
warren

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 22:41

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 22:41
Just a side issue,

I've always liked to have a separate GPS, so that if the laptop or PDA stuffs up, I can always use just the GPS.

All the cable options are listed at www.gpsoz.com.au
www.gpsoz.com.au
Depends on your model of PDA.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 97759

Follow Up By: Member - aussichef (SA) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 22:46

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 22:46
the PDA was only releised just before xmas
& i still have the extrax if i need it
warren
FollowupID: 356321

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 22:56

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 22:56
Warren,

Attaching your PDA to the Etrex is routine. You can either get a data only cable for about $39 or a power/data cable for more money.

If you want to go this way, just email Brian Sommerville at gpsoz. He is very knowledgeable and helpful and will mail the bits you require.

If you want some help locally, Electric Bug on Torrens Rd are very good.

Oh, and Ozi CE works well - main issue I've noticed is that you need a decent size memory card to store all the maps you need and some will need to have their format changed.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 356325

Reply By: Member - aussichef (SA) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 23:02

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 23:02
yes i know Electric Bug
Gerry French who works there is a friend of a friend of mine
Gerry was on a trip with us 2 years ago where we cruised down the murray river from Renmark to Morgan over 11 days 257 river Klm in our yatchs mine 21 foot a 20 fotter & a 24 foots without our masts what a great trip & by the way Gerry is a very knowlagble man
thanks for yr info though i didnt even think of electric bug
AnswerID: 97763

Reply By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 23:22

Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 23:22
G'day AC,

don't know if you already know this but DEFINATELY get a good CF card. The speeds vary considerably and many of the cheaper cards are very slow and too slow for navigation. Invest in a decent one. The guys at GPSOZ will point you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Smocky.
AnswerID: 97768

Reply By: Member - David 0- Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 04:16

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 04:16
I am no expert on CF card GPS but I use an iPaq 5450 and an eTrex. I believe most iPaqs use an SD slot and card for memory. Not possible to interface a CF GPS to such a slot. I wold use normal GPS with GPS to iPaq cable, but shop around online for cables they can be expensive.
AnswerID: 97795

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:52

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:52
The Ipaq hx2750 has a Compact Flash and SD card slot ...so its well suited for use with GPS mapping programs utilising one slot for GPS (CF or SD) and one slot (CF or SD) for memory card with map images. I would recommend CF GPS over SD as SD are more fragile, being smaller and thinner.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 356370

Reply By: Member - David C (QLD) - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 08:07

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 08:07
Your best bet is to connect your GPS via cable and then get a large memory card to store your maps. I run a Garmin GPS76 through a cable to my O2 XDA II where I have OziExplorerCE installed. I also have a 1 Gig SD card with almost the entire east coast of Australia in Auslig maps loaded. A 64 Mb card will hold around 7-8 Auslig maps.

By using a GPS which interfaces via SDIO or compact flash, you limit yourself with memory options. Also think about bluetooth GPS as this is another option.

I would just spend a few bucks and make or buy a cable to interface with your GPS with you iPAQ.

Regards
David
AnswerID: 97803

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:02

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:02
I have to agree. I just bought an SD card for mine
FollowupID: 356364

Follow Up By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:54

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:54
Yep, need SD slot for storing maps. Would advise against bluetooth though. Not sure what everyone else's experience is, but I have been trialling a Leadtek bluetooth one at the moment with no luck.

Bluetooth serial stacks are also known to have many problems. So good in theory, but can be difficult to get working. I'm sure there are plenty of people that are working happily with bluetooth, but they are difficult and if you ask experts, they will generally steer you to cabled GPS receivers.

Cheers,
FollowupID: 356371

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 11:00

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 11:00
Hello - as mentioned the Ipaq hx2750 has a CF and SD card slot so you are not limted in anyway when using a CF GPS with this unit. Having a stand alone GPS equiped PDA unit (ie without wires to a handheld GPS) is a far better option in my opinion, for obvious reasons. Having the capability to connect to the handheld is of course handy as well - good for tranferring and storing data to Pocket PC.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 356372

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:09

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:09
Warren,

I would stick to separate GPS. I run a Garmin Etrex Vista with Ipaq 3870. Power cord for both GPS and PDA purchased from GPSOZ which Phil G mentioned. Also purchased a RAM suction mount from GPSOZ to attach PDA to windscreen. No vibration there as opposed to mounting on dash. Can easily be moved if I have a navigator on board. My PDA had a SD slot but I bought an expansion pack with a CF slot as well. I have a 1gig SD and 512K CF and pretty well get all the Raster maps and Hema desert plus many more running through Oziexplorer CE. If you have any problems then Goercke(yorke Pen) could probably help you out as he has his sorted out or I may be heading your way in the next month or so.

AnswerID: 97824

Follow Up By: Dog (NT) - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 22:03

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 22:03
I'm thinking of buying a wind screen mount, but I can't help but feel that they will fall off after a while.

How does it go? I'm thinking of buying one of the powered/amplified sound units from GpsOz.
FollowupID: 356501

Reply By: sav - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 12:28

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 12:28
I run a bluetooth GPS into a Dell x50v PDA (vga screen).
Works very well (using the standard bluetooth support provided by 2003SE).
The bluetooth receiver cost $200 - not much more than a compact flash GPS card.
The receiver I purchased even works when inside the vehicle between the front seats - much better than I expected.
Battery life on my receiver is about 16 hours - plenty of time for a full days driving, and recharge from the 12v overnight.
The PDA doesn't last as long and needs a recharge during the day - its normally plugged in while driving anyway.

With a PDA you get the best of both worlds - software like Destinator that can guide you using maps and audio directions, plus the ability to use scanned or purchased maps under Oziexplorer.

I also sometimes carry around an old laptop (bigger screen) - but it's to large to use while driving.
The best part is you can spend about $25 and get a bluetooth USB plug - and use the same GPS receiver and maps - laptop screen is much better for doing any route planning.

Sav.

AnswerID: 97839

Follow Up By: malleefowl - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 15:56

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 15:56
Hi Sav,
I have a ipaq3870 connected to a garmin emap.Interested in getting some voice guide software for finding my way around the cities.Where can one aquire Destinator and what does it cost?
Thanks ,Malleefowl
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 356401

Follow Up By: Ronnie - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 20:58

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 20:58
Hi Malleefowl
Destinator is about $600.00. How can I contact you ?
Regards Ronnie
FollowupID: 356480

Follow Up By: malleefowl - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 15:36

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 15:36
Hi Ronnie,
You can contact me via email
malleefowl at iinet dot net dot au
Cheers malleefowl
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 356649

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Juliana - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 13:45

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 13:45
Hi Aussichef,

We sell many GPS units and all the associated equipment, software and features you need. Have you thought about using a PDA cradle with a built in GPS receiver? This particular one is reasonably new out. Your model of Ipaq isn't listed, but I am about to get a full list of the compatable models from Holux so if you are interested I can check the full list.

If there is something you are after that is not shown we have access to over 400 units & accessories so just drop me an email (Juliana@ExplorOz.com) or give me a call on 08 9403 3737. I am continually adding new products and accessories, so just because I am not showing it, doesn't mean I am not selling it.

Happy deciding,
Regards,
Juliana.
AnswerID: 97854

Sponsored Links