Battery tray for 80 series

Submitted: Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 09:36
ThreadID: 20332 Views:1955 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking to fit a second battery(AGM) in the rear rather than under bonnet of my landcruiser

Does anyone know of a suitable tray type fitting , that will bolt down in area where dickey seat striker bolt holder bracket (over back wheel) is situated, for housing the second battery .
In other words take out the striker bolt holder and replace with a tray fitting, using the bolts to attach tray to body of vehicle.
If there is not a commercial type fitting, any suggestions for making one?
Thanks

Pedro
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 09:51

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 09:51
Hi Pedro
I fitted a second battery behind the wheel arch in the back of my 60. You have a few extra problems to work out with this, as there is voltage drop from the extra long charge wire. Also it needs to be in a vented battery box or you will rust out the roof of your mouth let alone the roof of the truck.
If you dont have the second battery under the bonnet, Toyota make a tray identical to what you already have there but on the other side....i just removed mine to fit other things in that place :-) and installed my second battery between the passenger guard and the passenger shock tower under the bonnet, using a bought frame that i got on ebay...(have no idea what brand) It fits there like a glove!
Andrew
AnswerID: 97823

Follow Up By: TheUndertaker - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 11:13

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 11:13
Dozer ,AGM batts do not require venting ,are fully sealed ,could mount them upside down if needed.
FollowupID: 356373

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 13:39

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 13:39
Ok that sounds good...my old 60 didnt have a chrome part inside that didnt have rust on it....so the only problem will be getting it charged fully.
I suggest you run starter motor size cable through to the battery, and secure it like you dont want it to come loose.......if anything rubs through between the alt and the second battery, you will have a fire if not a melt down. It is quite ok to havre the battery in the back, but yeah...run the cable in a outer shielded hose or something and then clamp this to whatever it runs next to from front to back.
Andrew
FollowupID: 356392

Reply By: Pedro14 - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 16:17

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 16:17
Thanks Dozer,

I will have the cable fitted professionally, to eliminate the problem you suggested.

It is just a tray type fitting, to secure housing of battery in the back , that I am trying to find.

Thought there might be a commercial product that would suit but it looks like there is none, so will need to get one made up.

Thanks again for your interest

Pedro
AnswerID: 97874

Reply By: BenSpoon - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 17:40

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 17:40
An option i was looking into a little while back is a marine or agricultural battery box- they are pretty solid; they generally have battery clamps inside them and often a clip or ratchet strap down lid. I've seen them on plenty of tractors around the traps.

Maybe a few clamps underneath the box bolted around the striker bracket, and if you can tek screw the opposite side of the box to the wheel arch it seems like it would be a pretty sturdy setup.

AnswerID: 97897

Sponsored Links