cruiser breaks - the followup

Submitted: Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 18:45
ThreadID: 20352 Views:1523 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
got the work ute back. It actually had cracked one of the 2 remaining axle studs so it must have been close to going.
From asking around it seems the causes of the studs breaking may be the locating dowells flogging out their holes and allowing play or the studs becoming loose. Other causes can include bent axles (my experience) or someone suggested bearings. Another cause I have heard of is puttind 6.2l v8s in
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BenSpoon - Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 19:08

Friday, Feb 11, 2005 at 19:08
At least its reassuring the problem stops at a certain engine size:
I knew a bloke that gave up on his 6.8 turbo cruiser after he turned the prop shafts into bananas on the dyno. He at least stopped blokwing hubs- everything before them in the drive line was a different story though.
He kept the donk and flogged off the surrounding car remains and went to a patrol. Now i think he's too depressed to come back to yotas.

AnswerID: 97920

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 00:25

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 00:25
Ge some people are full of it lol
FollowupID: 356532

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 17:39

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 17:39
Davoe,

Sorry I missed the original thread. Most of the 6 stud Cruisers have had broken studs. I believed it to be due to lack of "anti sieze" compound on the stud threads, overtightening and jumping on the wrench etc. A smear of grease on the stud threads will do the job as well. Then you can tighten them up to the correct torque (about 115Nm I think).

Interesting with the 5 stud Cruisers, I haven't heard of studs breaking, but its still early days. The 5 stud Cruisers have 14mm studs instead of the 12mm so maybe thats the difference. But they need to be tightened to about 150Nm.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 98022

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 00:28

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 00:28
I think you are refering to wheel studs. The original post was about axle studs. i have never actually seen wheel studs break except for on a ute that had the studs about to fall off from being to loose. When tightening them I do use my leg but only to the pressure i would be able to by hand (buggered if I know whan nm that is)
FollowupID: 356613

Sponsored Links