3.0 Patrol TD and Dtronic

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 18:42
ThreadID: 20378 Views:2356 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Had a dtronic unit fitted to the Patrol this week. After the first couple of trips around town am wrapped in the power improvement. Am a little concerned about extra pressures placed on the motor by the unit -surely it must be working harder to get the power increase.

Just looking for any feedback as to anything I should be checking or doing to make sure the engines lifespan is not reduced by the unit.

I did need to sign a disclaimer before the unit was fitted absolving Safari from any liability for damage caused to the vehicle by the units installation.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 19:19

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 19:19
Andrew

I've been watching these various posts with interest.

The disclaimer does sound a tad scary though. If you blow the arse out of the donk or screw the gearbox/diff, they're saying .... don't call me.

Hmmmm
AnswerID: 98036

Reply By: Member - muzzgit - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 01:46

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 01:46
And the other thing is, if it does go KABANG, will nissan want to know you when you rock up on the back of a tow truck ?

Probably not !!!

I asked for info from any forumites that had blown donks in 3.0 GU's, and received about half a dozen responses. I dont remember if any of them had the dtronic fitted.

One guy said nissan wasn't going to replace the engine and they told him it was gonna be near on twenty grand !!!!!!!

In the end they did come to the party with a brand new donk, but who can afford that kind of money for a new 3.0 turbo motor.

You could get a V8 chevy diesel fitted for that kind of money, with change left over for a damn good holiday while it's being done.
AnswerID: 98086

Reply By: Member - Glenn P (SA) - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 02:22

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 02:22
Surely you would have thought about the risks before parting with the foldy stuff. Basically my understanding of any of these chips, which i must add are being fitted to everything from 2 ltr buzz boxes, V8 performance rigs and many diesel motors also, the only problem they can create is extra temps if set to highest power input, in the diesel donks. I know the old ones were adjustable, not sure about the new ones. Not that I would even contemplate doing this, but if your nissan donk eats its lunch with the unit fitted, before you took it to nissan the dtronic could surely fall off, if you get my drift.
AnswerID: 98089

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 09:02

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 09:02
Disclaimer is all standard stuff, for those who can make an informed decision, as for extra engine load, I think you will find the dtronic tune resets the engine specs to meet Aus smog laws, instead of the euro 3 laws the engine is made to, where the euro 3 makes for a lean running engine below 2500rpm, where the spec says they must be clean, they then run rich over the 2500rpm, to make up for the lean down low.

The dtronic fixes this, and you will probably find better economy with the dtronic, and the engine oil will be cleaner at each change than without the dtronic.

I have to say its the best money spent on an acc for the vehcile, as you get to use it every time you drive the vehicle.

some interesting reading here
diesel tuning
AnswerID: 98100

Reply By: Puddin & Gumnut (Sydney) - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 17:44

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 17:44
I have one & love it. When the motor died last year I took it off, pluged nissan back in & not a problem. Dealer new it had been fitted but said nothing as the chip did'nt cause the failure poor design of engine did.
AnswerID: 98154

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 19:45

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 19:45
Andrew,
I've fitted a Dtronic chip to my 3.0 TD and I find it is better, seems to pull better than it did before with the camper trailer on board, I've actually found that the fuel consumption has got sighly worse, not a lot but a little bit. If anything happens I'll be doing what has been mentioned before, one 10 mm bolt everything is as it should be. My motor has done 143k now and everything seems to be fine. I'm running a synthetic oil in the engine for this 5000k's to see if that makes any difference, and yes I did ceck with Nissan first, they seem to be quite happy as long as it meets the Nissan spec in the hand book.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 98174

Reply By: Shep - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 21:35

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 21:35
Andrew ,
As the others have said the unit just remaps computerto better utilise the fuel/timing ratio we have here in Aust.
Stress? people are very illinformed about the 3.0 with continous comments about a little 3.0 in a big truck, the fact is that Nissan has designed the 3.0 to fire after top dead centre therefore removing the "stress" this motor has a compression ratio of 17.9:1 compare that to his big brother 4.2lt 22.7:1 now thats stress!
However if in the event you do have engine probs I'd take the advice of others and remove the chip before visiting Nissan. Hope this handy trivia helps.
Regards
Shep
AnswerID: 98376

Sponsored Links