Gee, I'm glad Wolfie asked this...

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 18:59
ThreadID: 20381 Views:2201 Replies:6 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
... 'cause even though I didn't know, I didn't want to appear dumb!

Yep, the time has come, to witness the most dumbest question EVER posted on this forum, and you can take part in this memorable event, by trying to answer, or taking the plss, either way, join in.

Question......

At a lot of National Park campsites, and Forestry ones at that, this is the scenario:

Tracks in & out of the main site, bordered by Perma Pine posts, sometimes with horizontal logs on top. Now, a lot of the time, there is no doubt as to where you are to pitch your tent, but at others, it's a little grey.

I have camped at a few, on the road side of the fence, right next to my vehicle, hoping someone doesn't run me over in my swag.

So, here it is...... do we camp ( sleep), on the OTHER side of the little fences?

Seems an innocent enough question, and I am certain, that I'm not the only one who has pondered this.

At these camps, I have seen both, people setting up on the vehicle side of the fence, and others who cross the fence, and camp behind the safety of the bollards.

Not all campsites have this peculiarity, but I have been to enough that do, which raises the question.

Cheers

Wolfie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Moggs - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 19:12

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 19:12
I have always thought that the fence is to keep your vehicle off the grass - and you camp where you want. LOL, now I'm not so sure.....hang on...yes I am...I ambleepmyself with this image of you setting up camp in the carpark while a nice campsite is just on the other side of the bollards LOL. (no offence intended)
AnswerID: 98033

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 19:18

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 19:18
Cheers Moggs.

The reason I sometimes camp on the road side, is because my tarp is attached to my car, and I sleep under it sometimes.

I have seen some sites along the Glenelg River in Vic., whereby you have to park your car about 30 metres away from the site, sucks, I reckon.

Wolfie
FollowupID: 356574

Follow Up By: glenno(bris) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 21:01

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 21:01
Why would you sleep under your car ?
FollowupID: 356586

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 21:44

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 21:44
LOL!! Wish I could.

My guts only JUST allows me to get under the Delica, and that's before breakfast!

Wolfie
FollowupID: 356595

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 00:27

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 00:27
Under the vehicle is a great place if it rains. I can't be the only one who does that.
FollowupID: 356612

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 17:20

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 17:20
Why would you sleep under the vehicle in the rain when with just a little bit of effort you could be sleeping in it?????? :-))

Seriously.... just outta curiousity??
FollowupID: 356652

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 17:55

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 17:55
I used to sleep in the Pajero I had as the seats folded down into a bed but I never found it very comfortable, too many bumps. My Rodeo, well I slept on the tray a number of times but had to have the tailgate down as the tray was just too short for me to stretch out, ditto my present hilux and if it decides to rain during the night I end up with wet feet if I haven't erected the tarp. I've got a centre pole tent as another option but as with the tarp they take up good drinking time to erect. The Lux has plently of room underneath so it's the quickest option for me. I can set up camp anywhere in a few minutes. As for sleeping inside the Lux in comfort, well I have no idea.
FollowupID: 356661

Reply By: Wok - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 19:19

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 19:19
Wolfie,

This is indeed a very deep question.......one that transcends the question of the chicken & egg.

I will consult the ouji board tonight and post the dilemma on your behalf.

On second thought.......Battlestar has priority.................luuuv the Cylon[ess]

cheers
AnswerID: 98038

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 19:24

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 19:24
Yo!! Cheers Wok.

Tracy's got the Telly all booked up tonight, watching the second installment.

This question may end up being adopted as a Buddhist Koan!

Wolfie
FollowupID: 356575

Reply By: Member - Hans H (WA) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 19:38

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 19:38
Wolfie

I find the bollards a real pain to get my camper trailer over! I wish they would make them lower, or wider apart.
AnswerID: 98040

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 19:43

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 19:43
So..............

Another who sleeps on the road side of the Bollards!!

This is the reason I am writing this, because a lot of our camping is now very vehicle based, instead of walk in. The bollards are sometimes a hinderance.

Wolfie
FollowupID: 356578

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 20:17

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 20:17
Wolfie ,

My Trak Shak was designed just for this situation . I back up to the fence and it is always low enough to go under the back of the trailer .

Then I just set up the tent area as if the fence did not exist . It worked a treat at Mimosa NP a couple of months ago .

The camp sites are definitely on the other side of the fences which are there only to stop you parking on the grass .

Cheers ,

Willie .
AnswerID: 98045

Reply By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 23:55

Saturday, Feb 12, 2005 at 23:55
Hi Wolfie,

Had to do some reading to try and come up with an answer on this one and my "4WD Weekends" book talks a lot about campsite in NP's where you park and then camp on the OTHER side of the bollards. The campsites do not allow cars in.

Here's a quote: "The Lake Creek camping area is on the Wadbilliga Road alongside the river. This camping area is fenced with posts limiting vehicle access to the road and making it unsuitable for camper trailers."

So I'd say you're sleeping on the road mate. Better put some of that reflective tape on your swag so you don't turn into a speed hump.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 98077

Follow Up By: Chaba - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 01:39

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 01:39
Ditto Smocky,

Wolfie, leave your park lights on!!!

Chaba.
FollowupID: 356620

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 09:01

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 09:01
Well, there we go trendsetters...........

Looks like I've been doing it wrong. We are supposed to camp on the other side of the fence.

What with the increasing popularity of camper Trailers, and fixed asset vehicle camping, as well as security, I believe the authorities may have to incorporate a slightly different approach to their designing of camping sites.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 98099

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 09:41

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 09:41
To add to your ponder....

What if you have been sleeping on the right side but you drove in the wrong way...
FollowupID: 356627

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 13:11

Sunday, Feb 13, 2005 at 13:11
Ah Ha Grasshopper.

For if I go to sleep facing west, and the centrifugal and centripetal forces of the spinning earth act upon me, then inside my bladder, the tide would be out..... like up near my head. This allows one to sleep in longer, unless we are under the influence of a new moon, then you will have to check the tide times.

Upon arising, the coriolis effect, then comes into play, and depending as to wether we are in the northern hemisphere, or the southern hemisphere, this will give our draining the correct corkscrew effect, which improves aim greatly, whilst trying for the fence post!

And while I'm just being plain silly, have you ever travelled behind a car, or even better... a van, in the city, through stop / start traffic, and it has had a bike on the back, or inside.....

Every time the vehicle takes off, you see the front wheel start to rotate, in one direction only. This has nothing to do with wind, as the bike inside the van will attest.

It's all to do with precession. Now, it you go to bed on the road side of the fence, and you've had to much to drink, and your head is spinning, what if you turn around during the night, so it can spin back the other way?

I'd better go now..........

Dr. Carl Wolfie!!
FollowupID: 356639

Sponsored Links