GU PATROL 4.2TD

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 24, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2041 Views:2509 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
HAS ANYONE ELSE ENCOUNTERED THE PROBLEM WHERE THE AIRCONDITIONER SHUTS DOWN WHEN THE OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE GETS TOO HOT. ANYONE KNOW OF ANY OTHER FIXES. I HAVE AN ECB BULLBAR THAT HAS THE VENT HOLES OPENED UP. I HAVE HAD THE RADIATOR TEMP SWITCH REPLACED AND THE GAS PRESSURE REDUCED. I LIVE IN THE PILBARA SO THE AC RUNS NEARLY ALL YEAR!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: johnsy - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2002 at 00:00
geoff ive had the same problem when it was 50c air temp near cooper pedy and the only way was to slow down to 90k's go back to 4th turn the air con off and let everything cool down after 20 minutes allreset and away you go .its a engine protection thing ive been told so next time you go to the big smoke maybe see a air con mechanic and see if he can change the cutout switch temp.check your radiator cores to see if their not full of insects and grass seeds.let us know how you go please.cya johnsy
AnswerID: 6878

Reply By: Derek - Tuesday, Sep 24, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Sep 24, 2002 at 00:00
Geoff. This is a problem caused by peak under-bonnet temperatures and usually aflicts cars that have had an after market turbo fitted (in GU's it can also cause battery troubles). My understanding is that a high pressure switch has been incorporated into the a/c system to prevent a blowout. As the working temp' of the system rises, so too does the pressure until the switch open cicuits and shuts the system down. You may need to look elsewhere for a fix, as to bypass the switch is courting trouble
AnswerID: 6880

Follow Up By: Will - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00
Derek,
That is not the case in the GU Patrol...
The GU patrol has two sensors on the bottom rad tank, one is set to a certain temp for the electric fan to cut in regardless of A/C, the other cuts the compressor out if the temperature has risen more than the threshold.
This switch can be bypassed but it is not recommended, the problem is the viscous coupling fan not cutting in early enough and there is a fix for it, change the fluid in it. We did some tests and even some brand new ones don't cut in early enough.
Will
FollowupID: 3100

Follow Up By: Geoff - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00

Will, can you elaborate on the fluid change a bit more for me. Thanks
FollowupID: 3107

Follow Up By: Will - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00

Geoff,
The viscous coupling fan has a viscous fluid in it, troubleshooting an overheating problem on a friend's GQ he bough a used coupling as well as a new one (to suit a GU) which is a bit bigger, we found that the new coupling was not engaging the same as mine (GU 4.2 without overheating problems and my cut out protection only cutout once up on the mountains after prolonged steep claiming).
What we found was that those viscous units are serviceable and that on dissasemble it needed more fluid to reach the capacity. His now cuts in earlier than mine... Also adding an oil cooler helps heaps...
Will
FollowupID: 3108

Reply By: CLIVEB - Wednesday, Sep 25, 2002 at 00:00

Geoff,
My GQ diesel had an aftermarket system fitted and the air supply would suddenly warm up after many kilometres on a hot day.(usually when slowing down)
Turning off the a/c for five minutes and all would return to normal.
The problem was that the evaporator was icing up,this preventing effcient heat transfer.
The problem is easily identified,as when a/c was restarted the air was getting cooler and cooler as the ice melted. The fix was to replace the t/stat which was inserted in the evap coil, meant to stop the compressor if ice build up occured.
If your compressor is cutting out on the h/p switch (high head pressure)
It could be 1.air in system 2.blocked or inneficient condensor3.if fitted ,condenser fan faults 4.lack of sufficient air flow over condenser.
The head pressure is determined by the heat rejection of the condensor,which varies depending on ambient temperature.
The only way to determine if the correct pressures exist is by connecting a gauge set. See fridge mechanic if you cannot find fault,he can determine if head pressures are correct and system free of air.
AnswerID: 6901

Sponsored Links