Which oil for TD 100 series?

Submitted: Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 15:22
ThreadID: 20429 Views:3314 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

my neighbour has a TD 100series Cruiser and isn't sure what oil is best to use, without going stupid on price, hence he's stopped buying the genuine Toyota oil. Is the genuine Toyota oil a premium one, or simply a re-badged oil bumped up in price thanks to the word TOYOTA?

Have read on another thread about the importance of detergents for cleaning out dirty Jap. engines and that Castrol is no good in this regard and yet F U C H ' S is quite good. Went to the F U C H ' S site and they recommend Universal HD1540 for this model.

Does anyone have knowledge or experience on any of this? My neighbour would be most grateful and me very interested!

Cheers,

Mark.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dale147 - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 15:42

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 15:42
I only use Castrol RX Super in my MQ 3.3 Turbo diesel and have had no problems what so ever. Expect to pay $30 - $35 for 5 litres. I also run a MicronX oil filtration system and change filters every 5k kilometers.

Cheers
Dale
WA
AnswerID: 98311

Reply By: banjodog - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 17:36

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 17:36
Basically, any equivalent oil that meets or exceeds the specs in the Toyota owner’s manual should be satisfactory.

If any doubts go ask at the Toyota service desk, don’t ring, actually go in and ask – “What oil will you use if I bring my car in for a service”. Guarantee it won’t come out of a 200 litre drum with Toyota written on it – more than likely Castrol. Years ago most Toyota engines had stickers on the rocker cover stating – Use only Castrol oil. If there are any of the mechanics in sight - go ask them too.

But that’s going to the extreme. Decide on a good quality oil from either – Castrol, Shell, Valvoline, Penrite, BP, Mobil, etc from any auto outlet. Hell, even Repco sell their own brand of Diesel oil.

Just buy a well know brand so in the event you travel far and wide it can easily bought if the need arises.

For my old 2.4L Hilux I use the Valvoline Super Diesel. So if your neighbour can afford the 100 series don’t skimp on the quality of the oil – especially having a turbo bolted to it. It's cheaper than rings and bearings.

If he choses to change the oil / filter himself – saving again on the labour cost – put that towards buying the good stuff and he’ll be still way in front on the running costs.
AnswerID: 98332

Reply By: muzzimbidgie - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 18:11

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 18:11
Yes, trying to save a few pennies on motor oil for a 100 series turbo is questionable.

Old English saying......

"Only fools and rich men can afford to buy cheap rubbish"

Wise old Indian saying....

"Good thing no cheap - Cheap thing no good"
AnswerID: 98335

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 21:10

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 21:10
always a tough one this oil question coz you dont get any proof that the oil you are using is better or not. - Heck you could probably get a 100k or better out of the motor just using car oil but even when it failed prematurly you could always point the finger elsewhere. You say only fools buy cheap rubbish but I had no problems using valvoline 5l for the price of 4 in my pos nissan camper and would have wasted my money on fully synthetic racing oil.
Now that I have dribbled without actually saying anything. I use whatever name brand diesal oil is cheapest in my 2h and change it every 5k for around 40 - 50$ for 10l. Turbo diesal donk - might appreciate better care with the higher power output
FollowupID: 356836

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 18:52

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 18:52
Mark,
The Toyota dealers all use a multipurpose Mobil or Castrol CF grade oil (which is also used in the petrol vehicles). The Toyota diesel oil over the counter is 20W50, which I think is too thick.

I've used F U C H S oils for a few years, and can't say theres anything wrong with them. I used to use the Universal HD 15/40 CH-4 , but for a few dollars more, I now use the Ultra Lube 15/40 CI-4. Cost me about $70+ for 20 litre barrel last time from Adelaide Truck and 4wd spares which is a Don Kyatt outlet. I use it on many of our petrol vehicles at home too.

(No affiliation etc )

Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 98347

Reply By: Dazmit - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 20:59

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 20:59
Hi Mark

Castrol J-max or Shell Rimula X fit the specs required quite well & are 15/w40.

I can get either from QLD Diesel spares in Brisbane a lot cheaper than Supercheap, autobarn etc.

Phil is getting a good price on thebleep's.

Cheers

Darryl
AnswerID: 98370

Reply By: Geoff from OutbackStuff - Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 23:57

Monday, Feb 14, 2005 at 23:57
Hi Mark,

I run a 2003 TD 100 Series. I only use Valvoline Super Diesel 15-40. We use this grade as we operate the vehicle in the snow in winter and sometimes 45 degrees plus in summer (like Mungo National Park).

Dont skimp on price - they are a wonderful motor - they deserve the best.

Also we change over every 5000km, even if we are on a long trip, we take the oil and filter (along with spares) and change the oil at 5000km.

Cheers,

Geoff
www.outbackstuff.com.au
AnswerID: 98405

Reply By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 08:35

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 08:35
I've been using Castrol RX Super in my 100TD

Gaz
AnswerID: 98421

Reply By: Member - Craig M (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 09:26

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 09:26
Hasn't anyone had any experience with the Australian made oil Penrite?
They make specialty oils for everything from old cars to turbo powered.
Even have a recomendations page to see what type of oil your vehicle should be using.
Having a look here: Penrite

Cheers
AnswerID: 98435

Reply By: Markymark - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 21:18

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 21:18
Thankyou all for your replies,

well there's certainly a broad range of experiences here. I will show thy neighbour your responses and let him take it from there. It's certainly something worth looking into if you intend keeping the rig for a while, which he does, until years down the track when I get enough money up to haggle him into selling it! Yep, vested interest here...

Cheers,

Mark.
AnswerID: 98554

Sponsored Links