Patrol GU Sub tank in a GQ?

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 20:45
ThreadID: 20485 Views:5174 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone know if its possible to put the sub tank from the GU into a GQ?
(Posted on behalf of my Brother-in-law who has a 4.2 diesel manual GQ and wants to increase range of his vehicle).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 21:21

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 21:21
The sub tank of a GU is in the back, behind the axel where the main tank of the GQ is located.

The sub tank of the GQ is in front of the main tank, between the crossmember that holds the gearbox and another cross member.

The sub tank is only 30lt, it would be better to carry a jerry can than muck around fitting the GU sub tank.

Wayne
AnswerID: 98555

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 22:45

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 22:45
My GU has the main 90ltr tank behind the rear axle and the sub tank an after market job of 85ltr in front of the rear axle on the Drivers side.
And yes the 30ltr sub tank is not worth the trouble of installation.better to go for an after market job a bit more exy but holding a lot more fuel.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 356995

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 22:59

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 22:59
G'day Wayne....Dodger's right....the GU's sub-tank is in front of the rear axle, basically it's underneath the passenger's bum on the driver's side. The main tank in both GQ & GU is 95 litres and both are located behind the rear axle (where the spare goes on the 80 and 100 series.

G'day Dodger, Do you think the 80+ litre sub-tank on your GU is okay? I already have a long range main tank (145 litre) but would like the 80+ sub as well.....been a bit worried that it would hang down lower than the chassis rails and be vulnerable to being "taken out".... Your thoughts would be appreciated. Just been looking at your rig pic and must say the sub tank does not appear to be hanging down.

Thanks,
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 356998

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 08:27

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 08:27
Hi Roachie,
No the sub tank does not hang down below the chasis rails
and has given me 800ks towing and up to 1200ks when unladen depending on the right foot, these are highway distances. Funnily enough when on the gravel it usually is a bit more , because I never exceed 80ks ph on gravel when towing and 100ks when unladen actually its more like 60 to 70 and 80 to 90.
If you go ahead with the bigger sub tank make sure that you put an in line filter, one of those cheap $5 jobs before the pump in the pick up line and earth the tank out with a strap also. This will save a lot of trouble with the pump and the fuel computer/sensor arrangement.
The tank I have is from outback assessorys and is of solid construction IE stones etc will not dent it. Had a bit of trouble with a split weld on the Gibb R road but that was fixed at Derby.
Remember that this will add another 60kg to your weight.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 357019

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 12:04

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 12:04
Thanks for that Dodger....My rig already weighs over 3,200kg (before loading for a trip), so I guess another 60kg will be okay. Good advice about the extra filter too and the earth strap.
Cheers mate

Roachie
FollowupID: 357049

Sponsored Links