WHAT SORT OF MOBILE PHONE ANT.

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 21:18
ThreadID: 20487 Views:1712 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking into getting a decent digital MOBILE PHONE Ant. to help reception where available.
Has anyone got any goodies or baddies? I cant find too much in the archives.

Best place to buy and mount them?

Cheers

Ozman
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike Harding - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 22:22

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 22:22
The speed of this server is _very_ noticeably poorer around this time (10.15pm Melb) each day.

You will not receive GSM signals more than ~34km from the base station - full stop.
(If they use two time slots - quite rare) you may make it to ~70km. The speed of light ensures GSM will not do better than that. Why it was _ever_ chosen for Oz escapes me!

Forget GSM for bush use - CDMA will work to line-of-sight and is much better for bush use.

Mike (Danger!) Harding
AnswerID: 98577

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 22:33

Tuesday, Feb 15, 2005 at 22:33
For this reason, id recommend a dual band antenna, I have not come across any bad side effects and we have them running through all our work cars. Being dual band will make sure you dont have to lose your $100 aerial if you switch GSM to CDMA for better bush coverage.
One note- if you are getting an antenna with a spring base, TEST IT. alot of the spring based antennas phone shops will be happy to sell you will bend at the spring... then not return straight. bend the spring in the store and make sure it serves its purpose.
I'd recommend sticking with a brand whose business is in RF aerials - RF Industries, ZCG Scalar etc for reliability.
Look into getting a gain level that suits you and the terrain you will be in. this should help
FollowupID: 356992

Reply By: JR - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 11:45

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 11:45
Ozman,
yeah I back up the call on RF industries dual band GSM/CDMA ant. Black, 15mm diameter around 1m high.
I use it and mainly GSM all through west NSW and QLD for work no probs, but I have both type of phones with me.
GSM and CDMA in NSW both work OK but in different spots. You will always have plenty of black spots away from towns whichever phone you have
JR
AnswerID: 98644

Sponsored Links