Turbo timer fitment to '04 Prado

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 23:01
ThreadID: 20526 Views:2171 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Folks,

I have recently purchased a current model Prado and I already own a Turbo timer from a previous vehicle. I would like to fit it to the vehicle (I know, can be illegal in some states, can sit in car and wait etc etc)
Problem is these damn latest immobilisers sense when the key is pulled from the ignition and shut down the ECU.

Has anyone had any experience here and know how to get around it?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 23:14

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 23:14
Hmm, sounds like doozy. Have you tried it at all, when I hooked mine up I put an extra relay on so I could lock the doors and still arm the imobilser and alarm however I don't have one of those new fan-dangle keys like the new yotas have. I drive an Echo for work and I know the type your talking about, I just wonder if it does shut it down or if you can hold it open with a relay. Might have to talk to an auto electrictian that knows how they work, he might be able to point you to the direction of power for the ECU from the factory imobiliser.
AnswerID: 98763

Follow Up By: B0XER - Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 00:06

Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 00:06
Nah havent tried it as yet - just experimented with the removal of the key and following the circuit in the steering colmun - it definatley throws a relay.
If its anything like my previous car - it can be gotten around with a relay - but to know where to put it is the question;)

FollowupID: 357161

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 23:47

Wednesday, Feb 16, 2005 at 23:47
Wating your time, no need what so ever for the turbo timer.
AnswerID: 98773

Follow Up By: B0XER - Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 00:02

Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 00:02
Hi GO_OFFROAD

I was expectiong some replies with this sentiment - I'd still liike to fit it as I do some towing and my experience with turbo vehicles beforehand is that if the turbo has been working quite a bit that the charger itself will get incredibly hot - shutting down straight away allows coking of the oil in the bearing due to the ceasation of oil flow starts to happen. The TD is on boost almost all the time and the fact that it delivers 0.7bar boost means the rpm of the unit would be high = lotsa heat :))

Interested to know why you believe them to be a total waste of time seeing as I have the timer already?
FollowupID: 357160

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 00:16

Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 00:16
Hi Boxer

I also think that the advantages of the timer would be outweighed by the disadvantages of trying to beat the immobiliser as well as possibly breaking the law by leaving running vehicle unattended.

I have the same vehicle. Toyota only recommend a one minute cool down time and only after towing or high speed running. In the 25,000km that I have had the vehicle I find that it is very easy to comply with this requirement.

At the end of high speed running like highway work you are usually back into an urban environment where the vehicle is doing low speed work or idling for a couple of minutes at least. The worst situation is where you pull into a servo on a highway and I find it is no hassle at all to give it 60 seconds cool down time. There is usually a few things to organise in the cab while preparing to get out (sunnies, wallet etc).

Another consideration for me is that it possibly gives the insurer an out if the vehicle is stolen. They could claim that the extra circuitry assisted the thieves to overide the immobilser and get the motor started. That could be real expensive.

Just my thoughts

Muddy
FollowupID: 357162

Sponsored Links