Terrano Duel cooling fan swap

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 13:17
ThreadID: 20535 Views:4103 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
This info I am after is linked to thread 19984. For those Terrano R3M owners that have been following, I have been set back, by my fuel system, so the cooling system has been put on the back burner for the moment. I will post the specs and details of the re-core radiator asap.
Secondly
I am looking at finding an electric duel fan setup to replace the clutch fan currently installed. (Local Wreckers not that bright) I want to go second hand, but don't know what vehicle i can transplant it out of. The mesurements for the total allowable gap are as follows, 430 H, 670 L, 100 D. Does anyone know what setup out of a 4X4 will fit.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Oskar (Bris) - Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 21:12

Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 21:12
Will you just remove the fan and leave the fan clutch or what?
Oskar
AnswerID: 98870

Follow Up By: SantaAus - Friday, Feb 18, 2005 at 11:17

Friday, Feb 18, 2005 at 11:17
Oscar, I will be removing the fan and clutch (Mine is no good anymore, doesn't lock-up). What radiator did you put into your rig? Are you still using your original fan setup? And What is she like now with the larger radiator?
Shaker, The original fan does move a lot of air, but i was hoping to find a electric fan that could keep up.
FollowupID: 357349

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Feb 18, 2005 at 13:47

Friday, Feb 18, 2005 at 13:47
Why not just put an over-ride switch to your air cond fan, so you can run it with the a/c off.

I don't think it is possible to stop these T2s from overheating during very hard work.
I have new water pump, new fan thermo viscous coupling, radiator reco, high flow thermostat, snorkel (thought cooler intake air may help). I have even opened up the dummy diamond shaped openings in the centre grille panel with a die grinder.
Personally, I think we need to get the air to flow out from under the bonnet more efficiently, either by way of rear bonnet vents, or vents on the guards.
Remember, with the top mounted intercooler we have hot air flowing over the motor, which may be interfering with the fresh air trying to flow in from the front!
FollowupID: 357369

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 23:31

Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 23:31
I was told that the engine fan moves heaps more air than electric fans!
AnswerID: 98898

Follow Up By: Brian B (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 23:10

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 23:10
Hey Shaker,

The manual that you mention, does it cover the RM3 Terrano as my son has one and he has not been able to grab a manual. His is a 2.7 litre turbo diesel.

Could you please email me at ryjoe@ozemail.com.au when you get a chance as I would love to organise a copy if it is the right one.

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 357587

Reply By: Member - Oskar (Bris) - Friday, Feb 18, 2005 at 15:00

Friday, Feb 18, 2005 at 15:00
I suppose you know that the fan clutch is an integral part of the water pump assembly and is not removeable without some severe (and non-reversable) surgery.
Oskar
AnswerID: 98977

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Feb 18, 2005 at 23:39

Friday, Feb 18, 2005 at 23:39
Yes I realise that ... but I am not sure if they are serviceable to enable Toyota fluid to be used.
BTW ... I have the Terrano 2 workshop manual on CD if anyone needs a copy.
FollowupID: 357414

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar (Bris) - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 07:24

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 07:24
I think the original post is regarding the import Terrano (non-intercooled) not the Terrano 2.
I have a friend with the T2 and his gets very hot climbing steep hills etc. even with the aluminium radiator.
You have to be a bit careful with the T2 over rocky sections as serious bouncing can cause the fan to contact the radiator shroud/cowling. This caused damage to the cowling in my mates T2 and the bit of plastic that came off then went into the radiator, resulting in a tow home.
Ended the trip for the day.

The overheating is a constant annoyance isn't it.

My '92 import model still gets hot but not to the extent it did before I fitted the bigger radiator.
Cheers
Oskar
FollowupID: 357470

Reply By: Member - Oskar (Bris) - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 07:38

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 07:38
SantaAus
Sorry, I didn't get back to your original questions.
I replaced the 2 row stock radiator with a 3 row one ($500) and repacked the fan clutch with Toyota silicone oil ($14). I replaced the thermostat with about 3 different types and fitted a 3" dump pipe and a 2.5" sports exhaust system. I also fitted an external cooler for the auto. trans.
It doesn't get quite so hot now but I suspect there is a design flaw somewhere there that cannot be fixed.
I also suspect that Shaker may be on the mark about fitting a bonnet vent to evacuate the heat from the engine bay as both of my batteries get pretty warm on a run.
I run 31x10.5x15 AT tyres on 7" terrano II rims (got sick of hitting rocks with the rear diff that my mates would clear) but that has dopped my top gear performance and fuel economy in a hole.
It's a nice car to drive but getting a bit old now I suppose. Not that I really care about that.

Regarding your electric fan proposal ... I am not sure that you will be able to remove the fan clutch to fit a leccy one as the fan clutch shaft will still protrude a long way forward.

What were your fuel problems?

Cheers
Oskar
AnswerID: 99132

Follow Up By: SantaAus - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 19:13

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 19:13
Oskar,
My fuel problems were the injector pump/injectors, i had them re-done. The fuel problem has progessed into no compression in number 3 piston, which means i will be strpping it down and re-building it before i get back to the cooling saga.
The larger oil coller on the auto trans is a good idea, it is a design flaw in the auto's (this is explained a lot on the usa site www.4x4parts.com)

SantaAus
FollowupID: 358188

Reply By: Member - Oskar (Bris) - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 23:07

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 23:07
I know about the auto box ... I had to have mine rebuilt when it failed at 100,000K's.
Apparently the Jap boxes don't have the same internal oilways as the Aussie boxes and they get too hot. I had mine upgraded to Aussie specs when it was rebuilt ($2500) the week before we were heading to Fraser for our regular September visit.
If you need any engine specs for your rebuild, I have the TD27 engine manual.
Cheers
Oskar
AnswerID: 100021

Sponsored Links