Battery Charger

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 16:19
ThreadID: 20539 Views:4870 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I have recently purchased aa AC Delco Deep Cycle battery for my Cruiser as a dual battery to run the Engel off. I have an older model Honda generator that I plan to run a battery charger off to keep the battery topped up while camping. I have read many articles on the internet on the requirements of Deep Cyle batteries, but am getting more and more confused...... Has anyone got any suggestions? I dont want to go silly with the price of one, but I want a charger that will work and not give any problems... Models / prices / etc would be of a great help!!
Thanks
Drew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 16:49

Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 16:49
Drew,

Check out ebay right now......type in "battery charger" and the 1st item shown at present is "BUY NOW" for $70-. Item number is 4526975710.

It claims to be a 12volt, 12amp output, 240v input and multi-stage.

I paid $300- for my 3 stage charger (15amp) from hybralec (www.hybralec.com.au), but that might be getting a bit higher than what you want to pay.

Good luck.

Roachie
AnswerID: 98845

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 18:21

Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 18:21
Sold.........purchased by this sucker lol.
FollowupID: 357259

Reply By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 16:49

Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 16:49
I use a Ctek 7A smart charger multistage. Cost about $350.00. Gets my 85AH DC to about 80% in 8 hours but takes about another 48 hours before it switches to the maitenance mode.
Don't know if it's OK to use with a generator. I understand some chargers aren't!

Baibridge Technologies are the importer. Check:

http://www.baintech.com.au/
AnswerID: 98846

Reply By: Alan S (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 17:05

Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 17:05
I might be way off track here but can't you put the 12v output from your honda generator across the battery that you want to charge and do it that way.

I think I may have just answered my question: I'm assuming that your genny has a 12v DC output!
AnswerID: 98847

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 17:14

Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 17:14
Alan,
I've just been all through this myself. I have a new Yamaha Inverter gennie which has a 12volt outlet for battery charging. However, I would NOT use that method. One reason is that with all these sorts of gennies you should not use the 12v and 240v outlets at the same time (not sure why, but that seems to be the concensus....so, given that most people want to run fridges etc off the 240volt output, it makes sense to add a charger into the equation. Second reason is, as I understand it, the 12volt output from a gennie is pretty weak and not well regulated. The 'smart" chargers are able to determine whether a battery needs a "bulk charge" or, once it has reached a certain level, they can switch to one or more lesser rates of charge and really deeply penetrate the battery.....this is especially desirable in a deep cycle battery.

I'm no expert, this is just what i've learnt from other people on here, whose opinions I respect.
FollowupID: 357240

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 17:36

Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 17:36
Alan

Roachie's more or less on the money.

The main reason is simply that you're not charging through a regulator.
Hence when the battery is fully charged, instead of switching off, the genny will keep pumping 8A or whatever into the battery.

Net result .. one stuffed battery.

Cheers
FollowupID: 357243

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 17:44

Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 17:44
I use a 25amp power supply that can be bought at Dick Smiths for $299. It is regulated, and the voltage is variable from 3-15 volts, so I use it for lots of other tinkering type stuff.

I set the voltage to about 14.2 Volts and just leave it turned on. The ammeter shows how many amps the battery is taking. When the amps is down to about 1 amp, the battery is charged and can be disconnected. You may find that a wet cell deep cycle battery needs a higher voltage.

I use the same system to recharge gel cells. The recharge specs are usually written on the side of the battery, so just follow their recommendations for the recharge voltage.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 98850

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 18:21

Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 18:21
Drew,

What I omitted to say is also that if you want to charge a deepcycle battery off a generator, you need a charger with balls, so that it can recharge a battery in a short time. So your cheapie 4A charger would be next to useless. And I also gather that the 12V output of your generator may not supply much more.

Thats why the Christies 12V generator works so well - a 55amp alternator mounted onto a Honda motor can recharge a car battery very quickly.

I haven't tried my power supply on a generator, but I can't see why not.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 357258

Reply By: Ray Bates - Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 22:31

Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 22:31
I have a 120AH DSB on my caravan. I also have a Yamaha gennie and a battery charger. The charge has an output of 20amps and during the day when the gennie is operating I connect the charger up to charge the DSB but as a typical DSB i can only charge to 80% (as per a hydrometer) but this is enough to run all my lights, an engle fridge and our television (television on till 10pm if there is a transmission available) all night. I find that this arrangment works quite well. I believe that I paid about $150 from CAP. The charger also has a 75amp outlet which will start an engine if required or give boost (short boost) to the DCB
AnswerID: 98881

Reply By: Mainey (WA) - Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 23:50

Thursday, Feb 17, 2005 at 23:50
Drew,
I use and can't fault the Projecta 10 Amp manual battery charger attached to a 10 Amp, Automatic Charger Control, about $170 complete.
Is your battery the M27MF, as this system will be more than adequate to recharge it from any condition, as a Deep Cycle battery needs to be charged correctly to maintain it at full capacity.
AnswerID: 98899

Reply By: Member - Brian H (WA) - Friday, Feb 18, 2005 at 01:19

Friday, Feb 18, 2005 at 01:19
Go to the AC Delco site and see what is recommended for that battery, then go looking for something specific. I don't use a deep cycle battery, just a heavy duty Century that is topped up from the car. There are a lot of options when it comes to batteries and their applications. The century in the camper is 2 year old and has never given me any trouble. I carry a small, cheap 4 amp charger that I use on those rare occassions when we spend a couple of days at a park.

It's a personal thing but I don't like generators, although there are a couple in the group we travel with.
AnswerID: 98916

Reply By: JCAI - Friday, Feb 18, 2005 at 10:31

Friday, Feb 18, 2005 at 10:31
GOOD MORNING FOLKS - J.C. HERE - BORING OLD BOEING AIRPLANE ENGINEER - BUT WE HAVE SOLD AIRCRAFT BATTERIES FOR A VERY LONG TIME - BOTH MAIN VENTED AND SEAL AUX. NI CAD AND SEALED LEAD ACID TYPES - DONT READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU ARE EASILY BORED !
THE SEALED LEAD ACID BATT WE SELL IS THE HAWKER ENERGY ODYSSEY - IT IS NOT A GEL BATT AS SOME GUYS WILL TRY TO TELL YOU - IT IS A RECOMBINATION TYPE BATT. I JUST BOUGHT 67 MUSTANG AND IT HAS A DECLO SEALED LEAD ACID BATT - IT IS IS ALSO NOT A GELL BATT ! IT IS A CALCIUM LOW MAINTENANCE TYPE - AND IS PROBABLY A VERY GOOD BATT. I WILL CHECK THAT LATER BUT I AM SURE THAT IS CORRECT . THE GUY IS RIGHT - YOU NEED TO ALWAYS ASK THE BATT. MANUFACTURER - NOT THE GUY DOWN THE ROAD WHO SOLD YOU THE BATT YOU HAVE . AS AN EXAMPLE - HAWKER SAY IN THEIR MANUAL THAT IS SUPPLIED WITH EVERY ODYSSEY - CHARGE AT 13.8 TO 14.2 V - AMPERAGE IS NOT CRITICAL - THE ODYSSEY WILL ACEPT A 100 A. CONSTANT VOLTAGE CHARGER - I HAVE DONE THAT MANY TIMES - YES IT SURE COMES UP TO FULL CAPACITY FAST - BUT THAT CHARGER WAS A U.S. BUILT CHRISTIE QRC-2 = $ 2000 - A WELL CONTROLLED VOLTAGE TYPE WITH SMOOTH CURRENT REDUCTION TAPER CHARACTERISTICS . THE POINT IS THAT THE GUYS WHO ARE COMMENTING ARE NOT DIFFERENTIATING BETWEEN CONSTANT VOLTAGE CHARGERS - WHICH IS WHAT YR VEHICLE ALTERNATOR IS - AND THE MORE COMMON WORKSHOP TYPE THAT THE PERSON BOUGHT IN DICK SMITHs - WHICH IS A CONSTANT CURRENT TYPE OR ADJUSTABLE D.C. POWER SUPPLY -WHICH IS FINE IF YOU KNOW HOW TO DRIVE IT TO HANDLE BATT CHARGING - A BIG DIFFERENCE FOLKS .
WE SELL SPECIFIC CHARGERS DESIGNED FOR THE ODYSSEY S.L.A.B.s
THEY CAN ALSO BE USED ON VENTED TYPE BATTs ALSO -THESE FORUMS ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR ADVERTISING - SO I DONT WANT TO PUSH ANY PARTICULAR TYPE OF BATT OR CHARGER - ITS THE OUTPUT THAT MATTERS - NOT THE NAME ON IT . AGAIN ASK THE MANUFACTURER OF THE CHARGER IS IT SUITABLE FOR S.L.A.B. . I ALSO RUN JEEP CHEROKEE LTD - TRUST THAT HELPS - J.C.
AnswerID: 98946

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 15:31

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 15:31
Well I'm not sure I understand what happened here, there were eleven posts on the 17th, and only then two early on the 18th, and the thread just died..... why, as it was just getting interesting ?

Maybe; "DONT READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU ARE EASILY BORED" did it :-)
FollowupID: 357655

Sponsored Links