LC80's front axle flanges

Submitted: Friday, Feb 18, 2005 at 19:25
ThreadID: 20568 Views:1994 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone no if you can get replacement axle hub flanges removed my old ones to do the front cv joints and there is almost no spline left on them. So is there any advantage to putting on manual hubs instead.

Tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: locallaw - Friday, Feb 18, 2005 at 20:01

Friday, Feb 18, 2005 at 20:01
Gidday,I have just replaced the cv joints,and hub flanges.Any good aftermarket shop should be able to get them.I think I paid approx $60.00 for the hub flanges and approx $130.00 for the cv joints.If you are going to do the cv joints etc remove the diff and check the settings also check the axle splines both ends that is where the axle goes into the diff and where it goes into the cv joint.I was lucky and did not have to replace the axle's.If your flanges were as worn as you said I think you will have a big job on your hands .Do it properly the first time and you will have no problems.Yes you can fit manual hubs but I think it is a bit expensive.
Hope this helps.
Seeya Locallaw
AnswerID: 99015

Reply By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Friday, Feb 18, 2005 at 23:33

Friday, Feb 18, 2005 at 23:33
Hi Tim
I replaced mine for about $80 each from Toyota including freight.
Cheers
John
Oodnadatta
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 99031

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 08:10

Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 08:10
Gday Tim
Toyota sell the flanges for 80 odd dollars each....if you have no spline on it, the c/v will be almost as bad aswell.
I have some spare flanges from doing my part time conversion if you are interested...yes you too can put free wheeling hubs in there....AVM's can be got for $240 a pair, or a wrecker will sell you a pair of a 60 series or hilux solid diff model, and they will fit aswell....However, the constant 4wd c/v is 4mm longer than the dx c/v that uses the free wheeling hubs, so u need to put an extra circlip behind the one that retains the spline in the drive if you run the toyota FW hubs...or if you buy new c/v joints, get dx ones and then everything is sweet to run a free wheeling hub.
The question i have is why do u want to do that?? if the transfer is still constant, you gain nothing....Marks 4wd sell a whole kit that includes hubs for 500 odd dollars...only if you do the part time, do u gain something, and then it is up to the individual as to whether it was worth it...better economy marginably, less wear on front end, but remember, you now have to get out to lock those suckers in, and on the gravel...if you move off the middle of the road, your pulled into the soft stuff like you may remember on your last 4wd....and of course, the cruiser doesnt perform as sure footed anymore on wet roads.....
Sooooo, its up to you, whilst you can get $100 c/v's, dont expect them to be in one piece if you like using your 4wd 100%....a friend has had 3 snap on him, but thats just his driving style....(Bull at a gate)
Andrew
AnswerID: 99042

Sponsored Links