Winch horror story, true or not??

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 13:25
ThreadID: 20577 Views:2908 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everybody,
A while ago, I heard a true 4x4 horror story involving a winch. It goes something like this...
A lowlife scumbag releases the clutch on your winch, passes the cable up, over and under your 4x4 back to a strong recovery point on the front. They then use a couple of wires to activate the field and rotor coils in the winch remote control socket.
You can imagine the rest as your 10000 lb winch proceeds to cut your 4x4 in half.
Another variation is that they pick a 4x4 with an expensive car IN FRONT of it and do the same thing but on another car...
Can someone verify this as true or not, and if true, can someone recommend a nice heavy duty winch disconnect switch??
Regards,
Michael.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 13:30

Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 13:30
Could be true, but I think folklore.

Lotsa people put an isolator switch in under the bonnet.
AnswerID: 99071

Reply By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 13:35

Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 13:35
Has happened ... I saw the result of one "attack" just out of Cairns a few years ago. Seems there was a spate of such happenings at the time.

What I have heard as being the best remedy is to remove the control box (or whatever it is called) from the winch and locate it under the bonnet. I *think* a couple of the guys in my 4WD club have done this.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 99072

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 14:11

Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 14:11
Michael,

No need for a big switch. On the late model Warn Winches there is a small black wire that goes to earth. It is only short and thin about 1mm in dia.

Connect this short lengthof wire to a longer length of wire the same size and run it to the dash inside the cabin. Using a toggle switch connect the wire from the winch control box to one side of the switch and on the other side of the switch connect a length of wire to a good earth.

This wire is the earth for the solenoids and if the switch is not turned on then the winck does not work, and having the switch in the cabin means you must have access to the vehicle and know what where the switch is before the winch can be used.

Placing the control under the bonnet is also good as it also keeps the solenoids dry and less prone to failure.

Wayne
AnswerID: 99074

Reply By: Michael Carey - Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 16:24

Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 16:24
Thanks for the replies guys. I had a look with 'Google' to try and find out some more about this, especially what the aftermath looks like, but to no avail.
I think I will work on the disconnection of the GND to the solenoids in the control box to stop this happening to me. I can't really move the control box, my under bonnet real estate is cramped enough as it is (Hilux TD).
I would hate to come back to my 4x4 to find that someones nice new BMW 5 series has become my new 'hood ornament'!!
AnswerID: 99081

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 17:14

Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 17:14
Mike,

Have a look on the Overlander Forum, go to Technical, look for a thread "What does everyone think abiut the new Pathfinder" and scroll down through the replies. There is a photo of a car that has been cabled. Very ugly indeed.

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 357438

Follow Up By: Moggs - Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 17:35

Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 17:35
Hi Jim,

Not too sure that is a cable job depiced over on the OL thread on the new Pathy. The cut in the bonnet would be at a more acute angle (the dent in the bonnet seems very rounded) if it was I reckon. It also doesn't look like there is a winch or bullbar on the Jeep. I reckon something has fallen (like a telegraph pole) down the length of the vehicle.
FollowupID: 357440

Follow Up By: Moggs - Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 17:36

Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 17:36
...... or maybe even a rollover into a telegraph pole (end on end). There seems to be a lot of front right end damage.....

FollowupID: 357441

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 19:21

Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 19:21
Nah... the Jeep pic on OL???? I reckon it was a tree that did the deed on it!!!!!
AnswerID: 99096

Follow Up By: Member - Peter D M - Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 21:12

Saturday, Feb 19, 2005 at 21:12
brian is on to this one. this will be an urban myth until a real photo comes along. when my sons old falcon packs it in i'll hook my winch up and take some pictures.
regards peter
FollowupID: 357451

Reply By: Peter 2 - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 08:25

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 08:25
I've seen the aftermath of a patrol that had a slight variation done, the winch cable was run out sideways to a concrete pillar in a carpark, patrol hung a hard left and proceeded to crush the cars between it and the pillar.
Fortunately the carpark attendant had a 4wd himself and at risk to himself climbed onto the patrol and pulled the paperclip out of the socket.
That is why later warn winches have 5 connectors in the socket rather than three, you need to cross two connections rather than one.
I don't have a remote socket on the winch, it only works from inside via an springloaded aerial switch.
AnswerID: 99134

Sponsored Links