Free to good home - Reversing Buzzer

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 10:33
ThreadID: 20596 Views:5309 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Our 4wd club is encouraging all member vehicles to fit reversing buzzers to their vehicles in an effort to improve child safety around camp and at home, along with actively teaching the kids what to do when they hear a buzzer ie. stop, look and move out of the way.

I hope that other clubs can take our lead and also do something similar - remembering that a big bug-bear of the anti-4wd brigade is the lack of 4wd visibility whilst reversing.

Anyway, I did the research on the best method of achieving the above on a Pathfinder and purchased Narva part No. 72572BL for $28. Details can be found here: http://www.narva.com.au/Switches_30.html. Unfortunately it didn't fit and now is offrerred free to whoverer can make use of it - hopefully a pick up in Melbourne cause I don't want to have to line up at the post office :)

BTW, for those thinking of fitting a reversing buzzer and cannot fit the replacement globe as per above Jaycar do a good buzzer which works well for the Pathfinder. It has volume adjustment and is just tapped into the reverse light wiring and sits in nice and tight behind the light cluster. It can also be switched via the dash so you can decide when to have it on and off. Cost - $9.95 - details here: http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AB3464&CATID=&keywords=buzzer&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrick - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 11:47

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 11:47
What a simple idea to improve safety around a 4WD. I will mention this to my club with the view to doing the same as the Pathfinders, well done.

I'll check Jaycars to see what they can do with my Patrol.

Cheers,

Patrick (nee Irish)
AnswerID: 99146

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 17:13

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 17:13
Moggs, I can just hear it now at next years Wandin field days as 1000 4bys back out of the car park. BEEP BEEP BEEP...........................The kids wont know which way to run ;-)
Wouldn't a switch to turn the buzzer off defeat the purpose?
If you can't see behind you how would you know it was safe to turn off?
As for the percieved lack of vision from a 4x4, many actually have better vision due to their high upright seat position & large glass area so perpetuating this myth does nothing for our cause. I personally see taking responsibility for where my kids are & what they are doing is far more important than putting the onus on someone else by suggesting we all fit reversing buzzers. Just another view.
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 99165

Follow Up By: Moggs - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 18:13

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 18:13
Different views are what make a forum! :)

Just a couple of points though.....

You could turn it off if you wanted when not in a public place or when you are sure no-one is around. I wouldn't bother, but some would

Agree, take responsibility for your own kids and know where they are - but I would suggest unless you have a leash on them it is impossible to do 100% of the time. What about other people's kids??? Accidents happen whether you are 'responsible' or not. Also, what if some other driver reverses a bit more recklessly than you when your kids are around??? If your kids are playing at camp, just out of eyesight, but close by, and you hear someone elses reversing buzzer go off - wouldn't it 1. alert the kids and 2 (more importantly) bring your attention to the fact that someone is reversing and you can then 'take responsibility for your kids?

Sorry, but I personally cannot see a down side to a reversing buzzer. I actually wish that they were mandatory along with cargo barriers.

...nevertheless, I am not suggesting everyone should rush out and fit them, I am just noting that our club believes it has merit and I hope other clubs follow.

BTW, I was not perpetuating the reversing myth, just noting that it is one of the anti-4wd lobby's biggest whinges. I do believe however that my Pathy has really bad vision out the back and I would assume most others do as well, especially when packed to the roofline.

Anyway, I am not here to preach the reversing buzzer - I am here to give one away if someone wants it, however I think as a safety device it has merit. It is a low cost item that just might save a kid from being reversed over. By no means does it take the onus off the driver being aware of what is behind, just gives those in the path an audible warning.
FollowupID: 357501

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 20:56

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 20:56
Craig,
I have an extremely loud reversing alarm (I got it from a supplier of equipment to the heavy-earthmoving industry). I've rigged up a switch on top of my dash board with a bright red flashing LED which comes on when I have the beeper turned off.

I turn it off if I've gotta reverse out of my driveway at 03.00 to go on a camping trip or when reversing back towards a trailer and being guided by my wife (doesn't happen very often!) etc. Quite often around the camp site on a club (or EO members) gathering I'll start to back up and let the beeper go off for about 3 beeps to get everyone's attention and then I'll switch it off so I don't annoy the livin' shyte out of everybody!!

However, as much as I like my own beeper, I don't believe you can insist on them being fitted to all club members' vehicles (and I do realise that the origianl post didn't say it was going to be mandatory). I too would 'encourage' others to fit a beeper as a matter of safety.....I can't begin to imagine how I would ever live with myself if I ran over a kiddie, whether it was one of mine or somebody elses......it would be unbearable....

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 357531

Follow Up By: Lyds - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 22:25

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 22:25
I can't switch mine off and its a nuisance when reversing with bikes on the back or towing.

It also doesn't seem to like the rain, a water drop is enough to set it off.

FollowupID: 357572

Follow Up By: Moggs - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 07:01

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 07:01
Lyds, where have you got the buzzer mounted?? Is it concealed behind the light cluster???. Mine is facing down so water cannot pool in it and all terminals and wire taps have heat shrink on them. Sounds like you need to re-wire it. As for switching it, not hard to do - just run a switch to the dash.
FollowupID: 357596

Follow Up By: Lyds - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 07:34

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 07:34
they're mounted underneath the step on the rear bumper, and is somewhat protected by the tow bar.

I keep meaning to do something about the switch... maybe tomorrow :-)
FollowupID: 357598

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 14:35

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 14:35
I fitted a reversing beeper ($20) from supercheap. And Yes I put a switch on it.
WHY?

Because when I'm backing up after dropping my kids at school I like the idea of having the beeper ON. I also like it backing out the Driveway especially as visibilty is poor and it's a budy street with a footpath.

When I'm at my mates place and am backing up the drive past all the other units at 12'o clock at night the last thing I want is BEEP BEEP BEEP. So I can isolate it.

It's very simple.

Don't you think a childs life is worth $20? Even if it's only got a 5% chance of working it's still worth $20!!
FollowupID: 357647

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 19:14

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 19:14
Moggs,

I work in a Childrens Hospital, and having children run over by their own parents or by anyone else while reversing is devastating. My kids are grown up, but its other peoples kids that I worry about. I always reverse slowly as well.

I fitted a buzzer that I got from Opposite lock in Adelaide for $7. I also saw them at Repco for $16. Its a very compact replacement globe that does the job very well.

Rearward visibility on all the 4wds I've had has been poor (as it is in lots of 2wds too).

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 99190

Reply By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 02:21

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 02:21
Hey Moggs, that's a great idea.

I'm off to hunt one down. I've got a VDO nav system in the Rodeo too and have been thinking about getting the reversing camera for it, but the beeper is a tops idea.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 99270

Reply By: Bazza - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 09:24

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 09:24
Guys,
I think their a great idea. I have two of them, one on the back and one on the front of my Prado, both wired through a three way switch. I live directly oporsite a primary school, with my steep driveway only a couple of metres from the school crossing. I've lost count of the number of times I've surprised a couple of kids in the middle of the drive. They are so easerly distracted and live in a world of their own, as is normal at their age. I would hate to think of posibilities of what could happen if you was'nt alert or they did'nt hear me coming.
Bazza.
AnswerID: 99282

Reply By: Member - Camper (SA) - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 14:34

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 14:34
-Got one on the ute and in a busy supermarket car park you can see shoppers looking for the big truck which is going to run over them as soon as I hit reverse! Not that I have it for that reason but rather to revrse out of my drive across the footpath where vis is really limited.
Camper
AnswerID: 99323

Sponsored Links