Jackaroo 99 se Diesel Starting Problems

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 13:28
ThreadID: 20602 Views:2584 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Recently I purchased a 99 Se JAckaroo Turbo Diesel after checking that the injector seals had been replaced (1000kms) before purchase. After putting it into a the local Holden Dealer for its 150,000km service its started playing up but not starting, erratic idling, stalling and sometimes starting but just idling even when you depress the accelrator. So I rang the dealer to make sure they have used the right oil etc. He informs me that it does this everytime after a service.(Sounds a little suspicious to me). They used visco 5000 5w/40 which when I checked the Perite bulletin is one oil listed that can be used. The dealer has ordered some different oil(which is taking a long time to get here) as he is convinced that is what it is but I'm not so sure.
At times it will start well then at other times it will not start at all it will just keep turning over. Or it will start and just idle even when you push the accelerator.
Has anybody else had this sort of problem with there Jackaroo
Could it be the oil pressure sendermalfunctuncuncting and telling the computer there is no oil pressure to start or would it more more likely the injector seals that this dealership just replaced but maybe haven't done a good job.

Thanks for your help.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 13:58

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 13:58
Yes same symptoms...I have a 2002 Jack... fixed it by screaming literaly at dealer who told me all sorts of stories but it was the oil that had been used. I now use Castrol softec... but if someone does put the incorrect oil in then the system has to be flushed until the old oil is completely removed...They had the nerve to want me to pay $200 toward the cost of replacing the oil even though it was them who put the wrong oil in....Problem is yours would be out of warranty and your Holden dealer wont care how much he charges.....I would suggest that if they can't identify the problem pronto that you contact holden customer assistance at: customer.assistance@holden.com.au
The response that they all do this after they have been serviced is absolutley untrue....I suspect that they put in whatever oil they had and now having been caught out don't want to have to admit that they made a mistake... the engine is quite high tech and demands a top shelf oil. If you can try and check the viscosity by seeing how it drips off the dipstick... It will be very thin if it is the correct grade if not it will hang ong like ordinary engine oil. Just my thoughts... i don't have a high regard to my local dealer as service people with Jacks...

AnswerID: 99155

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 18:51

Sunday, Feb 20, 2005 at 18:51
Amen to Rick's comments Spud - the oil is very important and you need a good battery. I have my TD SE Jack since new (5 years now / 95k) - has always run well, but I do fuss over it. I've always been on Castrol 10w-40 .... either Dynamax synthetic or the current Magnatec. With an overlander battery (note 700 CCA) its currently a winner. If I was to use the vehicle in any freezing type weather, I'd have to drop the viscosity down lower I know. They are a fussy motor, but great when treated properly....... Re dealers........ I try to do the bulk of my servicing - my original dealer's service counter staff were simply lying cheats - on one occasion, plain fraudulent (can I be clearer ?). The next dealer I had a sniff at was up front on how he intended to take every dollar he could off me with inflated pricing on hour every item used. With not a dollar spent there, the third dealer I moved to now seems reasonable , in that he only charges a bloody lot ..... I'll have to settle for that. Mind you...... I only go anywhere near a dealer if I can't do it, and my mechanic in the suburbs (he's good) doesn't know the routine. Er..... re your main problem.....mine has never run anything other than perfectly, after a service.... be suspicious of their motives.... you'll be much closer to the truth. BOL.
AnswerID: 99187

Reply By: D-Jack - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 17:52

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 17:52
Spud

Same vehicle as you. Once s mrchsnic put in valvoline diesel 15W40 - wrong grade and viscosity. Vehicle still went ok though - just a little sluggish when cold at lower revs until turbo kicked in. Yours should be no different. Definitely not just the oil. They have balsed up. They should give a 12mth warranty on their work, so sock it to them.
AnswerID: 99346

Follow Up By: spud09 - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 13:20

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 13:20
Thanks everyone for all your assitance. I took the vechile to a diesel injector specilist in town yesterday and although he couldn't help (he said the car was too new) he suggested that it may be either the fuel primer pump or the injector seals as they were easy to incorrectly install.
So I took the car back to Holden who were much more helpful (Maybe he was having a bad day or his concious got the better of him) and he had a look at the fuel primer pump and agreed that that might be the problem.
The mechanic (who looked around 16) replaced the fuel primer pump and fuel filte.
No charge yet, so I will try this for the week and see how it goes. Hopefully this was the problem.

Cheers
FollowupID: 357800

Reply By: spud09 - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 14:23

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 14:23
All was going well untill a couple of days ago. Got in to start the Jackaroo in the morning. Started but nothing when I pressed the accelerator. Turnded it off and on and once again the Jackaroo would idle but nothing would happen when I pressed the accelerator. Turned it off and on a few more times untill it would not start anymore.
Called the dealership and they thought it might the the trottle sensor send a mechanic out (looked about 16 years old) who plugged in the computer. Apparently no error codes were coming up, oil pressure was good but the car wouldn't start.
They ended up towing it away, they had no idea why it wouldn't start and said they were gooing to ring Holden.
As yet they can't figure out why it won't start.
Anyone have any ideas?

Regards Spud
AnswerID: 100252

Sponsored Links