Land Cruiser 100 TD IFS

Submitted: Friday, Sep 27, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2063 Views:4116 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I am picking up a LC 100 TD IFS next week and have a question regarding suspension and tyres.

I will be fitting a bull bar & 10000lb winch as well as a kaymar twin rear wheel carrier so expect to upgrade suspension immediately.

I have bee told by ARB that OME can provide a front lift of up to 70mm on the TD IFS. This is opposite from what other 3rd party suspension companies are saying. Has anyone got experience in fitting aftermarket suspension to 100 series TD IFS? If so recommendations. I have read that the TJM Blisteins are pretty good.

I am also thinking of driving straight to a tyre shop and swapping over to a more aggressive tread pattern than standard issue. Do tyre retailers offer discounts on swaps with new tyres? What tyres would you recommend I change too - Cooper ST's, BFG MT ? And should I keep standard size?

Thanks,

Richard.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mudgutz - Friday, Sep 27, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Sep 27, 2002 at 00:00
i gather you mean independant front suspension due to the fact that the
turbo diesel 100 comes out on the same chassis as the V8
well i have seen plenti of these lill suckers and the ifs is totally bleep house on a 100......they have no clearance poor travel and sag very quickly
dont know about the 70mm lift but youll need that much to bring it
level with the back..if youve seen one youll know that they sit right down at the front and usually lean to the left badly when viewed from the back
the first time i saw one i asked if there was anything wrong with the truck...this rather upset the owner as it only had 9k on the truck
but after talking to a mate at toyota and having seen a few more of them i found that to be standard.
you poor sod i dont half feel for you trying to get decent clearance for off road use....they are good for towing.as for tyres well thats a personal chioce really muddies for mud at's for the road depends where it gets most of its use..my bfg at,s are not a bad tyre
you probably should have bought a 100 diesel gxl and had a turbo fitted ......much better truck chassis set up similar to an 80.......the 100's have suspect transfer cases i have heard that there are many fixed on warranty...from the same mate.....but you wont hear that from toyota so be nice to it if you want reliability
AnswerID: 7002

Follow Up By: Lc100td - Saturday, Sep 28, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Sep 28, 2002 at 00:00
Mudgutz,

Thanks for your comments but....

Before you start ranting and raving, maybe you should do some "personal" investigations and not just take the word of your mates. I'm guessing your reply isn't based on first hand experience.

Yes I also had my misgivings regarding the LC 100 TD IFS, but for me, I am now happy with my choice. I read every industry article I could get my hands on. I test drove the competition and the live axle 100 - no comparison, the IFS is a godsend onroad. My wife also test drove all vehicles and the bottom line from her was if I wanted a new fourbie it had to be the 100 TD IFS. Can't argue with the wife now can I.

Offroad, throw in a air locker up back (and front now if you want - arb have just released a front air locker for the IFS LC), a set of muddies and some good recovery gear and I think I will be confident to take the LC anywhere my traded heavily kitted Disco TD5 had gone. I am not into extreme stuff anymore - I have learnt that it is not a good thing to smash up a $50k truck every couple of weeks.

Richard
FollowupID: 3170

Follow Up By: Stephenf - Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00
Richard, you've done the research, looked at the facts and made a decision. Ignore the rumours and second-hand hearsay. If there was anything seriously wrong with the TD100 IFS you (and the rest of the world) would have heard about it before now.
FollowupID: 3185

Reply By: dave - Saturday, Sep 28, 2002 at 00:00

can't speak for the suspension, but i think that you are a lucky sod. You've bought yourself a great engine on a proven chassis, it's just the front end that needs some tweaking, I have no doubt that someone, somewhere, sometime will have a shmick aftermarket option for the front end, until then you may just have to take it farily easy. As for tyres why not look at the Bridgestone range, I had a set of ATs that gave me 50000 kms before i traded them in on MTs which have now done 55000kms and still have at least 30-40 left in them. There is much said on this board about coopers (perhaps rightly so as i have not heard a negative comment yet) and BFG (and not all the comments are good), but in my town every second cruiser, patrol, jack etc..... is on Bridgestone.

Dave
AnswerID: 7006

Dave,

Do the MT's stick well to the bitumen in the wet. I had Cooper ST's on my Disco and was happy with those except a more agressive tyre pattern would of come in useful when things got really slippery. I will be fitting a rear air locker on the LC. On road, even on wet bitumen the ST's felt solid. I only want to use one set of tyres so am trying to get best compromise. Thanks, Richard

FollowupID: 3171

Follow Up By: Dave - Saturday, Sep 28, 2002 at 00:00

In the wet, in a straight line they are great. I have a lockrights front and rear and i do have to be careful in the wet that i don't lose the back end a little, I believe that is more the fault of the diff lock than the tyres. Besides if tread depth is worth anything Muddies have it covered, BTW mine are 33x12.5 so there is far more rubber on the road than with a "standard" tyre anyway.

Dave
FollowupID: 3172

Reply By: Bob - Saturday, Sep 28, 2002 at 00:00

LC100TD, I think this setup might be the pick of the whole Toyota/Lexus line up. I'll be interested to hear what your fuel consumption is like. The petrol V8 can be pretty thirsty and after 110,000km I am looking to change over. The original front end (in the LX470 at least) has coped well with dirt road, dune (desert) and towing work. It is not a great handling vehicle compared with the TD5, but is an effortless highway cruiser. You are right about the tyres. The originals had chopped out after 20,000km. I think they are designed to protect the lino in the showroom from rim damage! Why rush into tarting up the suspension? Give the original a chance and then make a decision based on your needs.
AnswerID: 7009

Follow Up By: Kevin - Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00

Hi bob
i have clocked up 7000 ks in my td 100 very very happy as far as the fuel goes
we travel about 600 to 800 ks a week so far the best fuel consumption has been around the 10l to the 100 ks and that is loaded up .
around town we are getting 13 to 14 l to the 100ks
as far as springs and things i am going 35mm lift and using dobinsons gear, as i have a friend in the business.

hope this helps
kevin
ps we also tow an offroad trailer fuel consumption is still much the same .
FollowupID: 3187

Follow Up By: Bob - Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00

Kevin, thanks for that.
FollowupID: 3200

Follow Up By: Kevin - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002 at 00:00
hi bob
if you dont mind me asking what is your fuel consumption like with the v8.
thanks kevin

i have just worked out the fuel for this last weekend -- 433 ks all up, 230 ks hiway with not so good head winds towing the campertrailer and small boat on roof .100 ks of up and down and back roads. and the rest well 4x4 high and low range, about 10 ks of low range up some very steep motor bike tracks we found ,and about 5ks reversing no room to turn around when we got to the top . my neck has still got a kink in it .and the lower part of the car has some not so bad scratches in it ,also a few ks of that was driving around town .
All up we used 68l of fuel I think thats works out to around about 15.7
l to the 100 and around $59 for the weekend . and the scratches well a bit of cut and pol will get rid of that, well thats what i told the wife

kevin:-)
FollowupID: 3220

Follow Up By: Bob - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002 at 00:00

Kevin, I can't say I've been as careful as you in calculating it but my wife gets about 20 L/100km running in and out of town. We live about 20km ou of Canberra, so most of it is at 80 to 100 kmh but in moderate traffic. Out on the hwy it gets about 16L/100km, but goes up dramatically if you sink the slipper in.
FollowupID: 3221

Reply By: Cashy - Saturday, Sep 28, 2002 at 00:00

LC100TD,

As you want to change the tyres why not get the dealership to do it before you take delievery. They will do it generally for around $500, but some have been known to do it for free with a little negotiation. It will be cheaper then doing it afterwards. I would recommend going to 285/75/16 in either the BFG MT or Coopers ST's, another option would be Goodyear MTR's. You will find the MT's are more of a comprimise then AT tyres on road, especially in the wet.

As regards susension I would be surprised if they can get 70mm above standard out of the IFS with out effevting your downward travel significantly. Most IFS setups usually only go to 40mm so as to maintain downward travel. I would recommend King springs for the back and Bilstien shocks all round. You will also prodably need new torsion bars for the front to get over 40mm with the bar and winch.

Hope this helps

Cashy
AnswerID: 7019

Hi Cashy, Thanks for the reply. I too thought the 70mm lift seemed a little exaggerated and I would not want to lift this much anyway. I have read an article on the Bilstiens in a 4x4 mag and they got a great write up when coupled with TJM springs and torsion bar. I have also heard good things about King springs. Regarding the tyres I have posted another topic on the 285/75/16 and whether these are legal. Can you shed any light? Also how effected is the speedo and gearing when running the larger diameter wheels with an auto box. Richard.
FollowupID: 3176

Reply By: kezza - Sunday, Sep 29, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Sep 29, 2002 at 00:00
The new BFG M/Ts KM series worth a look at especially the 32" version - not sure of the 16" spec but check the website. the reason I mention them - the rubber compound is softer, deeper (16mm) but more durable and wet bitumen performance better than a lot of harder compound ATs Seem to be getting 60 - 80,000ks out of them - lots of debate on tyres so do a search but you need to work out what you are using them for.
kezza
AnswerID: 7029

Reply By: Joe - Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00

Richard,

Check out the September issue of 4X4 Magazine as it has a write up on suspension for the IFS Cruiser.

Apart from a recommendation for the TJM torsion bars and Bilstein shocks they also produced a well-worded and effective argument for going for the 30% stiffer bars if you add bar work and a winch to the Cruiser. Seemed to make sense to me.

Enjoy the new truck – Wish I had one to play with !
AnswerID: 7053

Reply By: LC100TD - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks everyone for your replies. Most helpful. Richard
AnswerID: 7067

Sponsored Links