Storing Lead Acid Batteries

Submitted: Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 20:13
ThreadID: 20645 Views:1816 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can any one advise me:

I have a battery I want to store can I drain the acid (carefully) and store the battery dry so I don't have to keep it on trickle charge or throw it out though lack of use?

Regards
Russell
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 21:47

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 21:47
In a word, No.

Have a look here for more info about battery storage.

You don't need to trickle charge, if you can partially discharge the battery every 4-6 months (with a 12V work light for example) then fully recharge. Worked for me anyway - I had a tractor battery in storage for 3 years, now used as second battery in 4by.

Cheers
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 99386

Reply By: David Au - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:05

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 07:05
Russell B you do not say what type of battery or how long you want to store it.
You are best contacting the battery manufacturer how to store the battery. Modern batteries generally do not take kindly to storage.
If possible you are better selling the battery and buying a new one when you need it again.
AnswerID: 99435

Reply By: desert - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 09:22

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 09:22
Batteries don't like long periods of inactivity. It is better to discharge and recharge them, cyclicly. Once they have had acid in them, you cannot dry them properly.
Do not store it on a concrete floor as this will discharge it and ruin it for good.Keep it on a wooden or rubber lined shelf, off the ground.
AnswerID: 99461

Follow Up By: pjchris - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 11:54

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 11:54
The concrete floor story is an urban myth.
The theory is that the battery is warmer at the top and cold at the bottom and the temperature gradient convection currents which causes the batteries to die/discharge etc. Or that the batery discharges through the floor....

See
Myths about Batteries 1
Myths about Batteries 2
Myths about Batteries 3
Myths about Batteries 4

I could go on. Basically the concrete floor myth is just that. A Myth. modern batteries just don't care what they sit on.

Peter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 357787

Sponsored Links