Waeco Fridge Modification (power draw)

Submitted: Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 22:40
ThreadID: 20656 Views:21076 Replies:3 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Below is a paste from the Waeco Website, has anyone carried out this mod and if so what were the results. Can anyone describe where the 2 pins are on CF50.
Regards
Graham

"Waeco delivers all refrigerators with the variable speed Danfoss compressor set to high performance mode (3.5 - 3.9 amps) for freezing in very hot weather. We delivered them this way because we expect that’s what you really need. A freezer that can work in even the hottest Australian conditions. For battery critical applications you can set the Danfoss compressor speed to it’s lowest position where it will draw only 2.2 – 2.5 amps and still give really good performance. This change only requires a wire link to be inserted between two pins on the microcomputer control box. It is a very simple operation however accessibility to this point varies between models."
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Paul - Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 23:59

Monday, Feb 21, 2005 at 23:59
Graham,

www.danfoss.com "did" have all the technical info on how to vary the RPM, I believe its how the Evakool fridges get their "turbo" mode.

Only problem is I cannot locate it at this time....I do recall having touble finding it last time. (if I fnd the docs I'll post where to find them)

I printed out all the docs perviously but they have since been used as scrap paper for the kids drawings. I'll keep looking and advise........Ah ha....

Now this is from the Danfoss document and how my fridge (Deluxe Reefer) is wired....(can't say for the Wacoe)

From the thermostat there are two wires that go off to the compressor, one goes to pin T, the other to pin C.

If you place the following resitior values in series with the wire that goes to the C pin you will get the following RPM

0 ohms 2000 rpm
227 ohms 2500 rpm
692 ohms 3000 rpm
1523 ohms 3500 rpm

This also effects current consumption and efficency of the compressor, I've been told and also by looking at the specs they are most efficent at the 2000rpm

Now you can also vary the Battery protection values (cut in cut out voltage values ) bu placing specific values between pins C & P of the compressor, but i'm not going into that as i'm happy with the default values of 10.4 cut out and 11.7 cut in

Paul

AnswerID: 99416

Follow Up By: Member - aussichef (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 10:02

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 10:02
Dear Graham
I asked similar question @ Tiddy Widdy beach on saterday
I was speaking to Pesty over a beverage or two. what was the resoning & function for the switch under the fans marked econemy,normal & high Pesty told me that the function of the switch under the fans on the waeco 80 & 110 is now i hope i get this right lol
econemy 2500rpm
normal 3000rpm
High 3500rpm
which is another power consumpion saving switch
now i will wait to get shot down here lol
warren

FollowupID: 357769

Follow Up By: TheUndertaker - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 10:35

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 10:35
Aussichef ,I have the Waeco 80/110 handbook in front of me as I write this,,
compressor cooling power: This is a 3 position switch to select the maximum power available for your compressor.
For normal Australian summer conditions [20/35 degrees in daytime] you would use the central/normal position. This is a good compromise between low battery use and high performance. For cooler days or when battery power is limited as with solar panel operation you can select Economy and this will limit the power that your fridge can draw from the battery but will still give quite good performance.
In very hot conditions[ above 35 degrees] you may need to select the High position so that the fridge can draw as much power as needed to maintain freezing in very hot weather.

end of quote .....so Warren no getting " shot down " lol.
FollowupID: 357772

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 12:20

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 12:20
People skills not your forte hey David Au??

Paul,

I think he meant to say. --

Thanks for your comments, but I wouldn't recommend anyone following them until you can verify they are correct. Could you please post the link to the relevent .pdf file so we can be sure we have the correct information. I wouldn't want anyone to damage their fridge.

:-)

FollowupID: 357791

Follow Up By: peevs - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 12:30

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 12:30
Hi All,

Ausschief,Undertaker, I have the CF50 which does not have the switch you are referring to, but thanks for your reply.
David Au I think David O sums it up.
Regards
Graham
FollowupID: 357793

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 13:04

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 13:04
peevs. a good sparkie (and so too a good autoelec) could build you the right sort of switch to get the varying speed increases...but remember, the faster the compressor runs the more power it pulls....reason they do this is to increase the amount of refrigeration capacity to cover the increased heat gains via lid opening and insulation in the higher ambient conditions

I think David Au had one too many agro pills this morning hahaha
FollowupID: 357797

Follow Up By: Member - aussichef (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 17:20

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 17:20
Paul
you might have been right but its the way you come across
now i get along with everybody which most who know me on here will be able to tell you
But man you need an attitude adjustment
& copying from a manual isnt the only way to be right
If the man is asking a question like this then like me maybe you might be better off not answering in such a smart *ss way & simplyfing yr answer along with the attitude
So the less technical people amoung us can understand
or is that the only way you can feel superior
have a nice day

warren
FollowupID: 357835

Follow Up By: Paul - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 17:38

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 17:38
Warren,

point taken, I too like to feel I get on with most people too but

1: I don't believe I have an attitude,
2: I am LONNNGGGG way from being superior to anyone else on this forum
3: I'm stating things from my own experiecnes
4: I don't think my answer was a smart*ss one and wasn't intended to be that way.

Some people want to hear about it, some don't, that why its an open forum
FollowupID: 357839

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 17:50

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 17:50
aussichef, i cant see anything wrong with Paul's reply
could you explain where he has answered in a smart ass way?
FollowupID: 357842

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 17:54

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 17:54
OK ... I also don't think Paul had an attitude or was flippant in his reply.
I though it was quite obvious he was quoting from his reference text. In fact he clearly stated that fact.
I read his post as that he didn't have the info at his fingertips, but then located it, then clearly & concisely provided the information.

My advice ... if you don't like the replies try using Google & do your own research!
FollowupID: 357843

Follow Up By: Member - aussichef (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 18:22

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 18:22
Yes shaker
it is a open forum & thats why as also a member
i put my opinion across thats if i have yr permission & dont have to check my opinion on google first
warren
FollowupID: 357854

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 19:13

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 19:13
again i ask...why do you have this opinion...i am buggered how you can reach this opinion from his initial reply "( but its the way you come across)"

well???

FollowupID: 357862

Reply By: Paul - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 00:15

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 00:15
Graham,

I'll quote a Danfoss doc here

"The thermostat is connected between terminals C & T.
Without any resistor in the circuit the compressor with electronic unit
101N0210 (for BD35) or 101N0220 (for BD50, i believe) will run at a fixed speed of 2000RPM when the thermostat is switched on. Other fixed comressor speeds can be obtained when a resistor is installed to adjust the current (mA) of the control circuit."

See previous post

Paul

AnswerID: 99420

Reply By: Paul - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 01:29

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 01:29
Graham,

Took some time but finally refound it, follow below to get all the details on Danfoss BD35F , BD50F & BD80F compressors......

goto

http://www.danfoss.com
(sorry don't know how to insert links properly)

Products - Catergories - Compressors
Click on Direct Current Compressors
Click on the first label (BD50F)
Then click on the picture of the compressor
Click on Literature and download the required PDF's

Paul
AnswerID: 99425

Follow Up By: peevs - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 12:22

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 12:22
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your info, I will read the Danfoss info. The Waeco Model I have is the CF50 it uses the BD35 Compressor. If possible I will fit an external switch like the 80 and 110 litre.

Thanks Again
Graham
FollowupID: 357792

Follow Up By: David Au - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 18:09

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 18:09
Peevs what makes you think you need to speed up the compressor. I just love all the uninformed dumb things that get posted about and done on this forum. It is fascinating and amusing but at the same time tragic.
What is more, you are totally and completely ignorant of what you are about to do and have no idea or reason to do it. UNBELIEVABLE
Please oh please prove me wrong.
FollowupID: 357848

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 19:20

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 19:20
David Au
what are you on ....well, at least let us know what your problem is so we can adjust and discard what your saying as shiet.....stirring
FollowupID: 357863

Follow Up By: peevs - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 19:28

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 19:28
David,

I am trying to SLOW the Compressor down and as such lower its power consumption. The reasons are obvious Cooler winter temps with less Usable Solar hours make this mod ideal. Put in the link to run it at lower rpm preferably with a switch so it can be run in the normal mode as wellin summer. I simply asked if any others had done this.

Read again my Original Post and the paste from the Waeco Site, here is the Article AGAIN:

" Waeco delivers all refrigerators with the variable speed Danfoss compressor set to high performance mode (3.5 - 3.9 amps) for freezing in very hot weather. We delivered them this way because we expect that’s what you really need. A freezer that can work in even the hottest Australian conditions. For battery critical applications you can set the Danfoss compressor speed to it’s lowest position where it will draw only 2.2 – 2.5 amps and still give really good performance. This change only requires a wire link to be inserted between two pins on the microcomputer control box. It is a very simple operation however accessibility to this point varies between models. We do not recommend that the customer does this themselves but any service agent could do it very easily. In many ways it does not make sense to reduce the speed of the compressor simply to get a low power draw because, as we have said, you do not get cooling performance for nothing. What happens is that the refrigerator will simply run longer in hot conditions if the power of the compressor is reduced. This of course applies to any refrigerator not just Waeco. A low power setting only makes sense in conditions up to around 30º. In such conditions there could be some benefits if for example you are using solar panels. Waeco is not interested in playing tricks with numbers. We sell the most powerful and most efficient fridges on the market dollar for dollar and that’s a fact the others just can’t get around."

NOW Please oh Please prove to me you are not the Arrogrant Prick I currently think you are. I often read a lot of your replies regards Solar etc, while I may not like your style you often give what appears to be correct answers.This was my first post here, but I have been reading this forum for awhile now.

A simple sorry will suffice or do you wish to add me to the Long list of Readers who think you are a &*^%$.

Regards
Graham
FollowupID: 357865

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 19:33

Tuesday, Feb 22, 2005 at 19:33
can i add again graham? or do you think he has taken it all in and pondering his next smart ass reply?
FollowupID: 357867

Sponsored Links