3l GU Patrol Engine Fault Light

Submitted: Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2068 Views:2302 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
The engine warning light (I think its referred to as the ECM indicator but don't have the manual with me at the time of writing) on the dash intermittently comes on. According to the manual it's an indication of a builtup of waterin the fuel filter. However, drianing of the filter does not show any presence of water. Has anyone with the 3l patrol experienced the same problem and has Nissan been able to fix it? Thanks in anticipation for your recponses.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave - Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Just,

Yes I have had the same problem. This light has probably also accompanied a slight loss in power. In my situation (and it has happened twice) the problem was a dirty fuel filter. This was because I had picked up a couple of loads of dirty fuel. Once the fuel filter is replaced and the dirty fuel has either been drained or works it way through the system then you should not have any more problems.

Regards,

Dave
AnswerID: 7047

Follow Up By: Just - Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks Dave.
One question - did the light come on and stay on until you changed the filter, or did it come on and go off intermittantly as mine is doing? Cheers.
FollowupID: 3190

Reply By: Dave - Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00

I found that when I stopped and then restarted after about 30seconds it would go out. After another ~50km it would come back on again.
AnswerID: 7048

Reply By: Crowie - Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00
Dave

A few months ago I had the light come on after refuelling when my tank was getting down to a quarter. I had put fuel in from a Jerry Can as I was outback so thought it may have been contaminated fuel. I bled the filter, the light went out and I carried on. When the tank was nearly empty the light came on again and I bled the fuel filter again. I was able to fill the tank after which the light did not reappear until once again the tank was below half full. A Nissan agent checked the ECU with their computer and identified my problem as a fuel problem as the light can also indicate there is a problem with the ECU or the motor. I travelled further and the problem contined. I continued to turn the tap and drain the fuel filter. I never did find any water. Eventually the light just stopped coming on. I never did arrive at a satisfactory answer. I now think that it was water initially. After that I was probably not tightening the drain tap / priming enough and air was getting in.

I recommend that you do as I did and fit a sinple water trap with a clear bowl between the tank and the fuel filter. Open the bonnet look at the colour in the bowl. It gives me peace of mind - I never trust electronics completly. As you know water in a diesel fuel pump and motor is a no no and with the Bosch 3.0ltr fuel pump worth $6000+ spending $150 to buy and instal the water trap is worth every dollar.

AnswerID: 7136

Follow Up By: Just - Friday, Oct 04, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 04, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks guys.
As an update I replaced the fuel filter and noticed an distinct improvement in power. However, here's the !@#$, the light has come back on after about 60kms!
Crowie, like you I regularly drained the filter when the light first started coming on, but I never did see any evidence of any fuel problem. I guess I'll have to go down the same track and see the dealer. However I don't hold out much hope from them they seem to be as much in the dark with these so call high tech engines as other diesel mechanics! Cheers.
FollowupID: 3260

Reply By: gbarby - Friday, Oct 04, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 04, 2002 at 00:00
I had the same problem with our 3.0 litre patrol and the switch was diagnosed as faulty and replaced under warranty
AnswerID: 7165

Reply By: Phill Cooper - Sunday, Oct 13, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 13, 2002 at 00:00
Had the same problem with my 3.0l Patrol. It turned out to be oil on the air flow sensor from the finer filter I was running at the time. I had the sensor cleaned and replaced it with the original Nissan air filter and it's been running well so far.
AnswerID: 7367

Follow Up By: Just - Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00
Phill,
thanks for your reply. One question - do you know where to sensor is situated, Befor or after the turbo? I ask this question because the turbo hose continues to blow off from the mounting onto the intake of the intercooler and while reconnecting it I have noticed a layer of oil on the inside of the pipes.
FollowupID: 3383

Reply By: Phill - Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 14, 2002 at 00:00
The sensor is located before the turbo in the hose just above the air filter. It has a cable plugged into the air hose. If you take off the top of the air filter container and undo the hose clip just beyond that you'll see the sensor inside that part of the hose. Apparently the sensor is sensitive so you need to take care. I was advised to clean it with carby cleaner spray and compressed air.
AnswerID: 7408

Sponsored Links