Rated Recovery Points on front of GQ LWB

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 06:08
ThreadID: 20683 Views:1824 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Have read the archives on this topic and general concensus is that recovering via a snatch strap attached to the front of a vehicle is either done through the eyelets in some bullbars or the uprights using rated recovery hooks.

My problem is that I don't have a bullbar, and therefore would be interested to hear from anyone who has EXPERIENCE fitting rated recovery hooks to the front of a GQ.
1) I know there is already a hook on one side, which could prob be directly replaced with a rated hook.
2) Are there holes already pre-drilled on the opposite side ready to mount a hook?

3) If "no" to the above, then what are the options for fitting a hook eg - can the rail safely be drilled to allow fitting.

I'll beat some people to it and say that I don't want a bullbar (before someone suggests it)

thanks in advance,
Wayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 06:27

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 06:27
Wayne,

The hook that is already on the vehicle is fine to do recoveries from.

In fact there is a hook that will fit on the opposite side that is a Nissian part.

These hooks have been used for recovery and there is no need to change them. Drilling holes in the chassis rail will only weaken the chassis rail.

Wayne
AnswerID: 99623

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 10:04

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 10:04
Yea, I go along with that, that hook under the right front has recovered dozens of people over the yrs on mine.

Are you planning on buying a bar and winch at some point?
FollowupID: 357970

Follow Up By: Swine Hunter - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 18:40

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 18:40
Hi Truckster,

Will probably get a winch bar (steel) and a winch at some point this year, but prefer to share the load of a snatch between 2 rated points on the front, and use a bridle or A-frame to distribute the load. Last thing I want is to start bending or moving the right side rail by snatching from one side only.

I know snatching gently is the best way, and where I am snatching someone else out, I always use the minimum run up, but when someone else is getting you out you can't always control how quickly they take off, some think they are trying to fly, and give the car all it's got on the run up with a huge amount of slack on the strap.

Wondering if anyone has used the Nissan part (hook for left side) Wayne mentioned above?
FollowupID: 358046

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 21:23

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 21:23
I know they exist, but never seen anyone bother with an A frame....
if you use your brains, there will be no issue what so ever.
FollowupID: 358075

Sponsored Links