lifting the courier

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 07:23
ThreadID: 20685 Views:8634 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
hi all i was wondering if any one has raised a ford courier/mazda bravo.
i have a 2000 model,torsion bar front end and am thinking about winding the bars up and getting the rears reset to suit. has anyone done this on a courier/bravo or a torsion front hilux?? any ramifications?
cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DukeAtty - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 07:57

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 07:57
My mate wound his up on the front and put raising blocks in the rear and gained 50mm easily but made for a very rough ride......(Mazda Bravo) 1996....But he is fine with that....
AnswerID: 99631

Follow Up By: db courier - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 08:03

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 08:03
tah mate, mine is all soft and mushy in the front so stiffening it wouldnt be a bad thing......might actually get a respopnse when u try to pitch it into a corner!!
FollowupID: 357940

Reply By: Timbobaroobob - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 08:38

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 08:38
you can screw the adjuster up but, if it effectively winding the tension up on the rod, it is the same as heating a coil spring up so that it sags ie. lowers, but has no travel as the gap between the coils closes up. you can do it but the ride quality will be as if it is on the bump stops, ie no travel. this make sense mate? you can get the torsion bars reset aswell but at a cost of course.
AnswerID: 99633

Follow Up By: db courier - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 11:50

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 11:50
yeh makes sense thx for that, i might give it a try cause its pretty soft in the front anyway, if its no good ill try to find someone who resets them.
FollowupID: 357986

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 12:36

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 12:36
Course you can do it and Im sure you will be very pleased with the results.

Just dont go too far!!
If you wind them up too much you eliminate the 'droop' of your front suspension and this creates a terrible ride and poor articulation.
Idealy in the middle of bump and droop is best, but I prefer a tad higher than middle. Gives slighlty better clearance and still good artiiculation.
If you want an easy rear lift to compliment your front (we are only talking small lift) try a set of air shocks or extended shackles.

I did this on my Mu (rodeo suspension) about 5 years ago and it worked a treat. The truck was bottoming out on the bumpstops all the time( couldnt afford new torsion bars and springs) , wound up the front and threw the air shocks on the rear. The shocks dont exactly 'lift' the rear, but by taking an amount of load of the springs, the rear does then ride slightly higher (level with front).
You then have the added bonus of load leveling with the air and the forced articulation that linked air shocked give you when off road.

Goodluck with it.
Matt.
AnswerID: 99667

Follow Up By: db courier - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 08:39

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 08:39
after talking to alot of wheel alignment and 4wd suspension places the go seems to be to wind up the bars. new bars wont give any more lift because you are limited by the bump stops. only major sugery ie modifying bar mounts, modifying bump stop mounts etc will let me get more lift. it seems to have sagged about 20mm from standard so i should be able to get 40-50mm without causing any problems
cheers all and thx for the info!!
db
FollowupID: 358273

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)