ARB smart solenoid

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:40
ThreadID: 20699 Views:5071 Replies:9 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hello again,

With the ARB dual battery system installed in the 80series it appears that I didn't get the smart solenoid as asked. It's a long story and doesn't really matter.

Is there another brand/type smart solenoid I can fit to the system? The system as I understand it at the moment connects both batteries when the ignition is on which means the cruiser starts off both batteries (not a great idea i reckon).

So the smart solenoid would seperate the two properly and when the cranking battery is fully charged it would divert all altenator power to the AGM deep cycle, thats my understanding anyway.

So the question - anyone else hooked up a 'smart solenoid' to an ARB kit? They are asking $200 for it... i think i read on another read a long time ago about REDARC?

Thanks for the input!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: howshouldibloodyknow - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:48

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:48
Dont suppose you bought it from Town & Country 4WD in Sthn Syd did you Marko??

I asked for ARB Smart Solenoid and same story.......fitted some other system from who knows where!!!
AnswerID: 99680

Follow Up By: Marko - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:55

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:55
No... Southern 4wd must be something with the Sthn stores though... ;-)
FollowupID: 358005

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:50

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 13:50
Marko

We have an OX which does the same thing. Only starts off main battery, unless you physically link the 2 by pressing the "link" pad.

Added benefit is when jump starting. Hook up slave to aux bat THEN link so no chance of spikes.

Cheers
AnswerID: 99681

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 14:02

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 14:02
I bought an Arrid Smart Solinoid. It cost $135.00 from the 12 volt shop.
It switches off the ignition, however it will not engage the aux battery until 1 minute after the ignition has been switched on,allowing time for your starter to recover and preventing the aux from being involved with any start load.
AnswerID: 99686

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 23:32

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 23:32
Jeff,
I'll second your comments, I got the Arrid Smart Solenoid and it's been faultless, even got it from the 12 Volt shop, great unit.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 358101

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 12:07

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 12:07
Martyn, did you catch my post on the Mod I did to my Arrid on the weekend?

PostID: 20642

Worth looking at if you have a need or want to extend your battery life while camping.
FollowupID: 358144

Reply By: paulpp - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 14:43

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 14:43
Marko

Providing the dual battery system is otherwise okay (wiring, charging etc) both batteries being used at start means that the second battery at least gets some regular excercise.

I had a proffesionally installed (auto electrician) dual system that did this and also had an ability to start from the second battery alone. The only cautionary note was not to leave the iginition in the on position for a lengthy period.

Never had any starter motor issues. The vehicle started first time everytime. I once removed the second battery and I did note that the starter motor turned a little slower.

It worked fine for the ten years I had the vehicle. The starter and second battery were five years old ( second lot, later model (better) batteries than the first ) when I sold the vehicle and they were both fine.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 99696

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 18:32

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 18:32
Marko,

I have a Redarc.

My understanding is that it starts the car from the crank battery and then puts charge back into the crank battery until it senses about 13.8 volts in the crank and then switches to charging the aux. If it senses less then 12.6 in the crank it swaps back to charging it. Its main function is to ensure a fully charged crank battery at all times.

In the event that your crank battery dies, you can override it manually to start from the aux. Cost around $120 from memory.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 99757

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 22:30

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 22:30
Jimbo,
the redarc does start from the Crank battery only, then connects the Auxiliary battery in parallel with the Crank battery via a solenoid.
FollowupID: 358090

Reply By: trolute - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 20:38

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 20:38
Marko,

I too have a REDARC.

they offer great support, replying to my email questions within hours.

Andrew
AnswerID: 99791

Reply By: brett - Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 22:33

Wednesday, Feb 23, 2005 at 22:33
Marko, even a dumb solenoid will do what you want, the solenoid needs power from somewhere to close the contacts, just make sure this power source is not on when the vehicle is cranking. Now with your 80 series this is very simple, there is a box over on the drivers side under the bonnet with some screw contacts, these are power connections for Ignition, Accessories and permanent, wire it up to the accessories and it will only power the solenoid with the ignition or accessories on and no power any other time including cranking.
AnswerID: 99815

Reply By: fourstall2000 - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 08:36

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 08:36
I had a Redarc on my GU Diesel,good unit but not waterproof.
After a hard trip the inside corroded up and shorted out,destroying the electronic board.
I then fitted a ARB smart solenoid,this protects from surge through the engine management by delaying the change over action.
It is totally sealed and works well,and although expensive is still cheaper than some systems.
regards
AnswerID: 99871

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 12:05

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 12:05
Yes I found the Arrid looked waterproof but when I was moding it on the weekend the cover clipped off accidently to my suprise. Not only did that mean it was not waterproof it also meant that it had no plastic casing around the internals risking shorts or even worse a fire if things were to go bad.

I put a large cable tie around the unit to prevent it clipping off again and then silconed all the edges that were not sealed.

Should have no problems now, and it probally a good idea for anyone useing a Redarc or Arrid relay.
FollowupID: 358143

Follow Up By: MrBitchi - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 09:37

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 09:37
Could have sworn my Redarc is completely potted....(sealed)

Must check on the weekend..

FollowupID: 358279

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:08

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:08
I havn't seen the redarc up close, but I do know that the Arrid looked sealed,it had this white glue epoxy looking stuff that madeit looked sealed but in reality the cover just clipped over with a bit of leaverage. Shocked the hell out of me. But she's all good now.
FollowupID: 358304

Reply By: TheUndertaker - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 10:38

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 10:38
Marco ,it would appear that you got dudded ,demand that they change your system to what you asked for, or even better to a Rotronics system which works ....Totally isolates main and aux until main batt is fully recharged after starting then charges aux, fully isolates main from aux at ignition shut down ....The Rotronics system is simple to install yourself and not that much dearer than " so called smart solenoids " inhouse branded.
AnswerID: 99891

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 05:20

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 05:20
Have to agree wholeheartedly with your post about the Rotronics system.

I started out 8 years ago with a Solenoid and changed within a year to a Piranha Electronic Isolator, which I have just changed for the Rotronics system, only because it works far more efficiently.

There is no real value in having an auxiliary battery that can only be charged to 80% from a Solenoid, when you can get 95% from a Rotronics system for only the price of a nite out with the girlfriend or better still 100% charge with the top of the tree model for just a bit extra.

But as in many things in life it comes down to justifying the expense, and if you only do short week or so trips it may not be justifiable to some, as he says ‘there is no free ride in life’ you only get what you pay for.
FollowupID: 358267

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:27

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:27
Mainey, I'm not having a go, I'm actually genuinlly intersted as to why the Rotronic would charge better than my Arrid? The arrid has no diodes to cause voltage drop it's a straight connection to the charge, does the Rotronics increase the voltage output or somthing? I'm getting 12.7-12.8v at rest on both my Wetcell bats which as far as I can figure is about 90% charge. The bats are both over a year old and have done some hard work so I think that's ok myself...
FollowupID: 358312

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 19:14

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 19:14
jeff,
I have gone the Rotronics system because they actually state a 95% charge rate, fact is I can't find another manufacturer to specify as to what rate their solenoid/isolator is capable of charging the auxiliary battery.
When you read all the charge specifications for Solenoids available on the web from the people actually qualified to make these statements they all quote a MAX of 80% to the auxiliary battery, some as low as 70%, that is not good enough for me when Rotronics will specify 95%, if my battery won't get to 95% then I have legal recall to get the problem looked at.

As to the actual reason why Rotronics charge better, I don't know, and as long as I'm aware it's at least 15% better than a Solenoid, then I have more 12v power available when required, that is the only reason I've changed, I'm happy.
FollowupID: 358713

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)