Carrying spare petrol.

Submitted: Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2071 Views:1855 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
My question is about carrying spare fuel (ie petrol) on a trip. If I carry cans on a roof rack, what are the best containers to use? Steel jerry cans are heavy and high so they raise the C of G higher. Plastic cans seem not to be strong enough and my present experience of working around the farm and using plastic containers is that they expand a worrying amount in the heat where I would be concerned they would pop from the heat and shaking they would get on a roof rack. I would not be doing enough out of the way travelling to warrent the expence of an additional fuel tank.
Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cam - Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00
Richard in my limited use of Jerrys they would be the best way to carry fuel apart from the aux tank method. I use steel ones & try to pack them so they are flat on the roof rack so as to have a lesser impact on the centre of gravity (COG) of the vehicle. Before using them this way be sure that the seals on the lids are OK for this & also purchase a set of extra seals in case one may give up the ghost. Also when packing them use some rubber to jam in between them to prevent them rubbing together. The main thing to remember is to empty each can into your fuel tank as you get the space & lessen the load up top.
AnswerID: 7063

Reply By: royce - Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Sep 30, 2002 at 00:00
I've always considered fuel in containers of any sort on the roof-rack as inappropriate. Only light stuff up there. Make up a couple of carriers for the back? For corrugations and rough driving you will need to pack them so they don't rub. Lifting them down is pretty difficult. I always imagine a leak running down the sides of the car, and if it's petrol..... very flammable. I like to put stuff like that in a trailer and have it well away from the vehicle. Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 7064

Reply By: Member - Willem- Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002 at 00:00
I have a long range tank in my truck and I have also always carried steel jerrycans inside the vehicle and have never had a problem. I have a false floor in my truck and carry two to four jerries under the floor as the need arises. On a special trip throught the Simpson we made up a special holder for 6 jerries inside the Suzuki and on the Canning I carried 8 jerries inside the LC.
Avoid putting full jerries on the roofrack as you would raise your C of G and can also pull a muscle getting them to or from the roof. I had a nasty experience with jerries on the roofrack....it is all a learning curve!! I have now turfed my roofrack. Have to come up with some ingeneous methods of carrying extra tyres etc. Avoid putting jerries on the bullbar like some of the old Landrovers had.
Carrying jerries inside the vehicle is safe unless ofcourse you are a smoker and there is a vapour leak. Should a jerry show signs of leaking then a new lid seal will do the trick. Jerries were designed to be so strong that they could be dropped from low flying aircraft without disintegrating on the ground. Think it out. Cheers, Willie
AnswerID: 7069

Reply By: Juddo - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002 at 00:00

I always carry petrol in the back of the Range Rover. I am not totally comfortable about doing it, but have little alternative. I use plastic containers and make sure that I empty them as soon as possible. I think that this is a better option than roof racks for the reasons stated above.

Cheers,
Matt.
AnswerID: 7077

Reply By: Bob - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002 at 00:00

Richard I agree with the comments about raising the centre of gravity and safety with fuel on the roof. I carry plastic and metal jerries in the trailer now. I don't think fuel should ever be carried in the cabin of the vehicle. Having said that about fuel on the roof I used to load up my ARB steel rack with several plastic containers (the black Rheem ones and the red Canadian ones) and never had a problem. The only incident was a fractured support on the roof rack. The containers are very strong. Provided they are pretty full, thermal expansion of fuel vapour will not cause a problem. As others have said, as soon as you have a 25 litre space in your main tank, transfer a jerry. The big advantage of carrying jerries is that you can easily move the weight around as needed. If you have 200 l in LR tanks it is there to stay. If you need to lighten the vehicle for any reason it can't be done (easily). You can also share jerries between vehicles. Also, a leak in a main tank can mean lots of fuel lost. A leak in a jerry means 25 L gone (provided the whole vehicle doesn't go up :-)
AnswerID: 7083

Reply By: Member - Richard- Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002 at 00:00

Thank you to all the members who posted information.
Richard
AnswerID: 7095

Reply By: Kim McFarland - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2002 at 00:00
Afternoon Richard,
We have been to the Outback on a number of occasions and carried fuel in black plastic containers when necessary. We put the containers in a plastic box so if there is a leek, the fuel is contained.
Last year, we had problems with expansion and had to regularly vent the fuel containers to ease the pressure build up. Other than that, they are fine.
AnswerID: 7113

Sponsored Links