Fixing an Exhaust

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 10:03
ThreadID: 20733 Views:1514 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Fellow Formites,
Not being able to weld and not knowing anyone who can weld, is there a way of joining two pieces of 2 ¼’ Exhaust together when I say 2 pieces I mean one is slightly larger Diameter than the 2 ¼ so they slip into each other I just want some form of heat resistant sealant/putty to stop them from rattling. Any help would be apprectated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: banjodog - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 10:51

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 10:51
Depends where the pipe is and how much heat and vibration on it. You can hacksaw slots, maybe 4 down about 30mm from the end, into the larger one, smear on any silastic sealant, like Selleys All Clear, onto the smaller one and slide the 2 together, then use a good exhaust clamp to lock it up.

Any exhaust / auto parts shop will have the right size clamp to go around the bigger one.

You can also drill and insert a self tapping screw(s), drill and use a stainless steel pop rivet(s) but any sealant will do the job adequately. It won’t last forever but it will seal.
AnswerID: 99892

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 12:14

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 12:14
Banjodog is spot on, slot it and thow the right sized clamp on it, thats how it was done for many many years!! Should never be a problem. Most exhaust outlets just use selastic on their exhaust flanges for some extra sealing, but you can also get an exhaust goo that solidifys and seals when heated from the exhaust.

Matt.
AnswerID: 99905

Reply By: Matt (W.A.) - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 15:20

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 15:20
Cheers Gents,
That's given me some ideas.

Matt
AnswerID: 99933

Reply By: iMusty - Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 23:10

Thursday, Feb 24, 2005 at 23:10
Matt

If you havn't sawn it just yet don't get to excited when cutting.

Cut it bit by bit.

Iv'e nearly been caught out by over zealous sawing.

Just take your time, cause if you cut the slots toooooo deep you'll make the job harder to repair than what you had to start with.

AnswerID: 100023

Sponsored Links