outback tyre and rim choice

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2075 Views:3472 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm planning a trip to the Kimberleys/Simpson next year in my turbo diesel landcruiser ute and I'm stressing about the type of tyres and rims I should use. ATM I have 285/75r16 BFG MUDS on alloy rims but I have a set of split rims sitting in the garage, should I take the alloys off and put the spits on if so what tyres are best for the kimberleys/Simpson (dunlop road grippers, bfg a/t or cooper st's). I would like a smaller tyre then the 285/75r16's I have on atm.

many thanks
Duncan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002 at 00:00
Duncan, we currently travel with same size tyre as you and have obviously been up the Kimberley a few times. We have run vehicles with both your size tyre (80 series) and with split rims on a Troopy. It used to be that split rims were certainly more convenient in the bush but with a good set of tyrepliers changing a tubless is now far easier and quicker so there is no need to go the splits. In fact, we would recommend you concentrate on changing the alloy rims for steel and take the tyres you currently use (plus 1-2 spares). Unless your tyres are dangerously low on tread you shouldn't think about changing to a new set for a trip. No tyre will guarantee you a hassle free trip, but you can get your money's worth and look around for steel rims, which are significantly stronger over such stony country. Bent and cracked rims are a problem and can be the cause of flats. We actually cracked a steal rim in the Kimberley last year after hitting a "blind" boulder at some speed. The tyre went flat, but we could drive by using a tube inside the rim. If running tubless tyres it is always wise to carry tubes for this sort of emergency and is much lighter than additional rubber. Finding the rims is the issue - I found a full set second hand by chance at my local TyrePower, but they are apparently like Hens teeth to find so start looking now. Expect to pay $200 each, but check the price at Toyota new they're about $500 (my memory may not be 100% but I'm going back in the archives of my mind about 4mths on this fact).By the way, the wider tyres that are standard on the cruisers now are well suited to the outback, especially over sand like the Simpson where your big ballons will roll over the dunes like a steamroller - no worries!
AnswerID: 7081

Follow Up By: Extreme1 - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks Michelle
$200 each for steel rims is a bit to expensive for me but I do see your point, get rid of the flash alloys and go with steel.
FollowupID: 3224

Reply By: tim - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002 at 00:00

Go to your local car dealer as they often have steel rims stored away from when they put alloys on the showroom car etc. Trust me! bribery (the car talk for bribery is normally - beer) goes a long way!
AnswerID: 7084

Follow Up By: Mudgutz - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002 at 00:00

yeah i agree if its a 78 series try and get some 16 inch steel rims of a 100 series they will bolt straight on and they will have heaps of them floating about as all the limited addition 100,s are as has been said are fitted with alloys by the toy dealerships. if its a 75 the 6 bolt pattern might be a little harder to find as they went out in 99 and most troopy owners dont bolt on alloys...
FollowupID: 3218

Reply By: Bob Y. - Tuesday, Oct 01, 2002 at 00:00

Duncan, if you went with split rims, can recommend Wrangler TG's, in 8 ply. Regrettably they don't make 12 ply anymore. We get a good run out of them, and can tolerate some bitumen running. Runthem @ 40 psi most of time. See ya...
AnswerID: 7094

Reply By: EXTREME1 - Wednesday, Oct 02, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 02, 2002 at 00:00
I wish I owned a 78 series but no I own a 75 series, would the 16 x 8 gxl rims of a 80 series fit onto the 75 series I know they have the same stud pattern but the offset worries me.
AnswerID: 7101

Sponsored Links