nissan patrol+check engine

Submitted: Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 11:58
ThreadID: 20769 Views:4783 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 3.0 di patrol( lefthanddrive) with a dtronic, I have been having problems with the air mass sensor, when I drive in high altitudes with the dtronic the check engine appears and the engine goes to protection mode(this causes the engine not to deliver as much power as it should) sometimes it doesnt do it. I drive at about 2000 meters and there are sudden changes in altitude when I go downhill, mostly the check engine appears when I push the gas downhill and uphill at about 4000-4500 rpms) maybe its the sudden change in the air because in altitudes the air is thinner.and when you go down the density is higher.
ALso once in high altitudes the house that goes from the turbo to the intercooler popped out of place( the car had only 3000 kms) its that normal.

other than that I m pleased with the dtronic, what other things can I do to get better performance, here in my country HONDURAS they dont sell anything, I red in some forums here that addind a 3 inch mandrel straight down will increase the performance noticeably, also I have purchased a k&n filter charger for the patrol will this work with the dtronic and will it increase performance?

If the 3 "mandrel exhaust increases the power noticeably can anybody tell me where can I purchase it over the internet or the phone,

ALso Has anybody had problems with the intercooler having an oil leak , mine supposively has one and its under gurantee, will the dtronic cause this?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Michael- Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:38

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 12:38
Jorge
The Dtronic chip wont cause that. Check your fuel filter, soundlike there may be a blockage or a restriction of fuel. The oil leaks around your intercooler are coming from where the flexible rubber hoses connect to the metal tubing, you will have to separate the two and thoroughly clean and dry the inside of the rubber hose and outside of metal tube, you have make sure that they are both clean and dry before rejoining and clamping, any traces of oil will allow a capilliary action and the oil will seep through instead of going into engine as it should. I had the same problem with mine and after cleaning I wiped both surfaces with methylated spirits and alowed to dry before reassembly.
Hope this helps
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 100110

Follow Up By: jorgejhandal - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 02:46

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 02:46
michael
so I should I replace the fuel filter?
this has to do with the air mass error? What I have noticed is that in december when the temperature is cooler it doesnt give me the error, maybe because of the air density at lower temperatures.
I dont know really, but everytime I go to the capital, I have to be worring if the check engine turs on or not.
Im going to try to replace the fuel filter.

THanks for the advice Michael !!!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 358397

Follow Up By: Member - Michael- Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 09:41

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 09:41
Jorge
Something else you could try.
Do you have a mate with a similar model Patrol?, if so swap over his Air Flow Monitor and see if there are any changes. I also find that in dusty conditions I change my filter cartridge every 5000km. The AFM are self cleaning, which takes place on initial startup
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 358405

Follow Up By: jorgejhandal - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 13:00

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 13:00
Yes I mostly change it at 5 but sometimes at 10.
the nissan dealer changed the sensor because supposively it was damaged but it still gives problems. As I said sometimes it does it mostly when I go downhill about 3/4 of the way of the trip, its 300 kms in high altitudes.

what is the afm? its that a filter?

I will try swaping the sensor,
when the dealer changed the sensor they painted the bolt on the ecu to see if I was modifiying something, and here if you change the bulb of the car with one that its not original they say that the gurantee wont cover the electrical damage it may cause( probably not but they can use this as a reason not to cover the gurantee if you have problems with the electrical system, also you cant put halogen lamps on the car because they say I will loose the guarantee on the electrical system, I just put xenon lights on my patrol and they told me that if I have any problems with the electrical system it wont cover.
FollowupID: 358414

Follow Up By: jorgejhandal - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 15:25

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 15:25
I know sorry for not expressing my self correctly, when the nissan dealer replaced my airflowsensor, they blamed it on something that was making the car function incorrectly, so they thought that by painting the screw of the ecu, they could see that I had placed something (the dtronic) in the ecu.
when I went to the dealer again with the same problem they justified themselfs and they did not change the sensor again because they said I had put something in the ecu.
FollowupID: 358431

Reply By: Leroy - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 13:44

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 13:44
I wouldn't recommend using the K&N filter. If it's one of those washable oil filters, excess oil has been know to cause problems with the air flow meter. Nissan recommend using their oiled paper filter. There is a non oiled paper filter that they also sell but apparently it doesn't work as well and lets small partcles through that sand blast the air flow meter.

Leroy
AnswerID: 100120

Follow Up By: jorgejhandal - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 02:53

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 02:53
I have already purchased it but if you say it gives trouble I will probably not use it, I have been using the nissans oiled, the only thing is that it doesnt last much?
here we have very dusty conditions I try to replace the filter a the most every 10000 in special cases, after 10000 the engine looses power because of the air restriction.

does the oil of the kn ruin the air flow meter?

What about the uni filter is it better, I had decided to put the kn because it gives twice as much airflow of the standard air filter.

thanks for your advice I apreciate it leroy!!!!
FollowupID: 358398

Reply By: desertrat - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 03:11

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 03:11
Don't use the k&n. The oil interferes with the sensor. Paticles of oil coat it and get 'baked' on. You can't clean it ;)
AnswerID: 100215

Reply By: Member - Michael- Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 14:52

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 14:52
Jorge
The AFM or Air Flow Monitor is the same as Air Flow Sensor, and it is situated in the the side of the ducting that comes off the top of the air cleaner and is held in by two screws , there is no need to go near the ECU unit

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 100255

Reply By: Member - muzzgit - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 17:18

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 17:18
Running this engine at 4000 to 4500 RPM is a good way to stuff it up.

I thought this was the purpose of the dtronic, to allow greater power in the lower revs, which in turn lowers stress and damage to the engine.

If you want real grunt and performance, get rid of the 3.0 and drop in a V8.
AnswerID: 100269

Follow Up By: jorgejhandal - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 02:10

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 02:10
I know , I still think he 3.0 is a good car, I have had nissan patrol all my life, I learned to drive in one , and the first car I owned was a 4.2 2 door patrol and traded it in 10 years aftewith 200000kms for a 3.0 which I think is a really good car the only thing is the power at low revs but with the dtronic it helps the3.0 is a good engine and fast ,
I dont know if the engine is as reliable as the old 4.2 but I think its fasterand a patrol(well a nissan has never left me stranded in the road and less a patrol). I would of bought the 4.2 turbo but its not sold here, I would rather see a new 4.8 di turbo intercooled with about 200kw or more , here the fuel is expensive, so I wouldnt get a v8, I have another v8 4.4x5 bmw And I wouldnt change it for my patrol, I have had too many problems with it . and it only has 50000 .

thanks for your advice I will try not to get up more in the revs 4000
FollowupID: 358508

Follow Up By: Member - muzzgit - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 02:15

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 02:15
Also, yes, running any type of oiled air filter WILL cause problems with the air flow meter. I know, it's happened to me, and it's a pain in the neck.

Stick with the Nissan one, which isn't oiled, but silicone coated.

Also, turbo's do spit out a bit of oil every now and then. If your intercooler is leaking oil, then it's also leaking air !!! This is common with the 3.0 patrols, the intercoolers are known to crack.

And blowing off the rubber pipe from the turbo, yep, I've done that too.

And as I said earlier, pushing these little motors is a good way to stuff them. Here in Australia, there is a growing number of people who have had the motor self destruct, completely.

Pushing them hard, and pushing them hot, seems to be a common denominator. I don't think they were intended to be used in this way.
FollowupID: 358511

Follow Up By: jorgejhandal - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 05:39

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 05:39
Thanks for the advice I apreciate it alot ,
have you had problems,or in australia with the 3.0 engine, here a model of the 3.0 had to be changed because there where manufacturing problems, with the engine from a certain month and nissan changed the engine in some patrols the earlier versions because there was a lubricating problem, none of them failed but they did this to ensure that they wouldnt .
they even upgraded their patrols by changing the front grille , stoplights ,and front beams to the new models patrols, and they gave them a vehicle meanwhile the vehicle was being serviced
FollowupID: 358513

Reply By: jorgejhandal - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 03:12

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 03:12
Thanks for the advice I apreciate it alot ,
have you had problems,or in australia with the 3.0 engine, here a model of the 3.0 had to be changed because there where manufacturing problems, with the engine from a certain month and nissan changed the engine in some patrols the earlier versions because there was a lubricating problem, none of them failed but they did this to ensure that they wouldnt .
they even upgraded their patrols by changing the front grille , stoplights ,and front beams to the new models patrols, and they gave them a vehicle meanwhile the vehicle was being serviced
AnswerID: 100336

Sponsored Links