Fire extinguisher under drivers seat in GU

Submitted: Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 17:16
ThreadID: 20780 Views:2126 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Got a fire extinguisher to put in the GU and the obvious place for quickest possible access in an emergency is under the drivers seat. More specifically we were thinking of attaching the bracket to the floor hump just at the front under the seat. Now before we go drilling any holes there does anyone know what is actually behind/below that hump? Can't tell from underneath the vehicle. Otherwise, has anyone got any idea's about how to secure (but still enabling quick release) the extinguisher, either in or out of the bracket, if we were to place it right under the seat?

:o) Melissa
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 17:40

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 17:40
G'day Miff

See your'e back a bit here..........nice work

Behind, or rather at the rear of that 'hump', is the plastic vent that distributes air to rear seat passenegers at floor pan level. That is, the vents are in the front of the hollow under the seat. I took our out ages ago to provide more storage area. We store air hose, 2 x snatchems , 10 ply jack plate & shackles etc under the two front seats. Very Handy & accessable, but out of the way.

We have the fire extingusiher in the front drivers door pocket. Easy to get, releases OK in a hurry.

best regards

rick

PS am reading "A Short history of nearly everything " by Bill Bryson. Excellent book; fascinating, and mildly humorous.
AnswerID: 100149

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 18:08

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 18:08
Hi Rick,

How'se it going? Did consider the map pocket idea and haven't totally ruled it out as an option. Thanks for the tip re the floor vents...they do take up a bit of space. Question I guess, is how useful are they??? I'm currently reading RM Williams' autobiography "Beneath Whose Hand" which is OK. Recently thoroughly enjoyed "The Dig Tree" the Burke & Wills story and "Mailman of the Birdsville Track" the Tom Kruse story.

FollowupID: 358350

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 17:47

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 17:47
G'day Melissa.

That's where I've mounted one of my extinguishers......just whacked a couple of tech screws through that hump at the front of the seat that you mentioned. I don't think there's anything in there that you can damage whatsoever. I have seen a bloke actually put his right under the seat.....too hard to get at for my liking.

However, i like the idea of pulling out those stupid air ducts under the 2 front seats; will have to look into that I reckon.

Cheers,

Roachie
AnswerID: 100150

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 18:09

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 18:09
Thanks Roachie! I'll hold you personally responsible if we drill and strike something we shouldn't LOL.

FollowupID: 358351

Follow Up By: Pluto - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 19:30

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 19:30
Melissa, Roachie,

I mounted mine tha same way. I used very short tech screws, just in case, and had no problems.
FollowupID: 358367

Reply By: V8Diesel - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 17:48

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 17:48
Hi, I would not put anything that could come loose at speed on the drivers side floor and interfere with vital controls (like brakes!). I have not found a satisfactory clamp for the smaller type of extinguishers anywhere.

I have an extinguisher tucked into both door pockets of my GU with a loop of fabric hanging over the edge (like the red ribbon for the batteries on old transistor radios) so I can yank it out quickly if required. They fit snuggly in here and do not shake or rattle at all. If one door's crushed, there's always the other side.

On my boat I had a fire extinguisher come loose once at about 45 knots on the way to Rotto and I can assure you they're not good things to have flying around :-)
AnswerID: 100151

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 18:11

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 18:11
This is a good point and one we'll definitely give som thought to.

FollowupID: 358352

Follow Up By: timglobal - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 00:21

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 00:21
I'd suggest that unsecured fire extinguishers in side pockets (which flex and pop) could be a real nightmare in many situations - side impact or rollover. They may be 'secure' usually, but a side impact or rollover would likely release 1 or 2 very heavy and deadly missiles into the fore-cabin.

I personally prefer under front of passenger's seat gingerly, but securely fastened. It doesn't intrude into driver area. Ask dealer for help - 'shop guys like something a bit different if they aren't swamped. Same for emergency hammer/belt slicers which often come with lat fabric pins - but they sit happiest on the central side of the bell-housing. In reach, but out of driver's movement.

In a real emergency, your co-pilot will (should) be doing the leaping out as you manoevre vehicle to control traffic situation. Your duty is vehicle, theirs is the area.

Blah.

Cheers,

Tim
FollowupID: 358395

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 09:43

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 09:43
Timglobal, I agree. In front of the passengers seat is no worries at all, just the drivers side I was concerned with. I know what you're saying about the side pockets, but have a look at the GU Patrol set up and where it is. It is effectively in the same spot they mount on Landruiser 75's beside the seat parallel with the rails. I myself would rather have it here in a prang than at the front of the drivers seat. Problem is the black plastic clamps are simply not strong enough in my opinion, so I view the extinguisher for all practical purposes as unsecured anyway. I've seen 3 plastic clamps fail - 2 in boats and one in a 4 x 4, and an electroplated steel clamp pop loose (again on a boat).

Reading this back, I think I may have developed a bit of a phobia about extinguishers coming loose from boating, but it's a subject worth considering.

Either way, the main thing is to have an extinguisher in the first place:-)

FollowupID: 358406

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 18:20

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 18:20
Hi Melissa

Another point to check on is the type of extinguisher you intend using. Some should be stored upright, which could be an issue.

We have a couple of the A B (E) Dry Powder Aerosol jobs and they state on the side they should be stored upright. This ensures the powder doesn't pack down in the wrong place along the side.

Cheers
AnswerID: 100164

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 19:31

Friday, Feb 25, 2005 at 19:31
work tojos typically have them where you are talking or round the side so when you open the door they are just under your seat facing you. Dont worry about them coming loose and becoming a problem - I have never seen it happen (seen plenty of 600ml diet coke bottles flying about though)
AnswerID: 100173

Reply By: desert - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 16:15

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 16:15
Sorry to rain on your parade, but just one extinguisher is not going to be enough. If you are talking about the crappy dry powder's, then you'll need at least three to have a fighting chance. I carry a 6 litre water-pressure that I can refill and re-pressurise myself (plus it's a handy emergency water container). This allows me to jet water on and off as required, is not influenced by wind as much and then I can re fill it and it's ready to go again.
With the bleep -weak dry=powder's, you've got 30 seconds at best and that's if there is no breeze blowing to prevent the powder from landing and doing it's job of smothering the fire. They are just false security.
AnswerID: 100262

Reply By: Tim - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:59

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:59
How about on the cargo barrier? Somewhere a bit more visibal in case its not you that has to use it in an emergency?
Tim
AnswerID: 100539

Sponsored Links