Frig comparision

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 09:25
ThreadID: 20792 Views:2278 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
We will shortly be comming over from NZ to begin our retirment by travelling around Au. We are having a van kitted out but are not to sure as to which frig have. As we will be travelling far and wide we want it to be reliable and are tossing up between a 3 way or a Vitrifrigo. Any help in helping us make the desision would be much appeciated.
Andy in NZ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bear - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 09:30

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 09:30
Andy

Research "Autofridge" and I think you will be impressed.
We Hire out Fridges and now only use these units. They are more expensive but the power draw and reliability are second to none in my opinion.

Kind regards
Paul
AnswerID: 100226

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 16:21

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 16:21
Hi Andy ,

I second that . I have the 73 litre Autofridge and my mate has the smaller model and we both love them because you only have to run them for an hour in the morning and an hour at night .

The Eutectic thingy freezes up the walls in one hour and it does not drain the batteries like a normal car fridge .

Most people complain about the way their 3 way frigdes underperform .
The Autofrigde can be made "2 way " with the addition of a good power supply .

Hope you have a great start to your retirement here ,

Willie
FollowupID: 358437

Follow Up By: snailbate - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 19:46

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 19:46
HI ALL
I agree with the Bear and Andy auto fridge is the best you do not have to have a second battery you run them for a hour in the morning and a hour at night or run it when you are driving turn it off over night and and run it the next day while you are driving it act like a block of ice when it is turned off overnight
Snailbait
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 358554

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 09:50

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 09:50
Andy

Try here

http://www.fridgeshop.com/Default.asp?cat=1.

Great deals on Waeco Fridges. Many on this forum (including me) have bought from them and yet to hear one bad report.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 100231

Reply By: Footloose - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 10:05

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 10:05
Doing the big trip around the big country eh? Congratulations, you've made a great choice :) One thing you can be sure of is that your fridge is going to be a major part of your life in those warm spots...which is most of Australia at some time of the year or another.
Reading the archives will give you some ideas. The choice is between types and within those types, brands. Then of course there's reliability, performance and price. Apart from tyres, fridge choice must be the most hotly debated item among a lot of 4wders :)
Since I don't stay long in one spot I have a Waeco. (mainly because of price and performance) But a 3 way could be what you need if setting up for more than a few days. Unless you go solar, or use powered sites a lot.
Like most things 4wd, its an individual thing.
AnswerID: 100234

Follow Up By: Pezza - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 12:33

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 12:33
Yep, that narrows it down!
FollowupID: 358411

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 12:44

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 12:44
So where's your response ?
FollowupID: 358412

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 13:20

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 13:20
Andy, go for the Vitrifrigo. It's a compressor fridge which will have superior performance to a 3 way which can be a pain in the butt if not installed correctly and the weather is hot. You then have the task of keeping the Vitrifrigo supplied with power. That's not a problem if you intend staying in Caravan Parks only as you can run it from 240. If you intend being away from 240 volts for more than an overnight stop then you'll need to look at either solar power or a generator or going for a drive for a coupla hours each day to charge the battery. Good luck with the trip., from an ex Kiwi this is one great country. ok, better check the cricket again :)
AnswerID: 100249

Follow Up By: Andy - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 15:16

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 15:16
Thanks for the replies so far.
We are going to utilize solar as much as possible. Currently the plan calls for 2x 120 watt panels with 2 batteries, however am prepared to be guided on this, plus a Honda E10 gennie. We have no set plans as to where we are going as yet other than arriving Brisbane may 31 and then up to Rockhampton to visit daughter after going to the Caravan show to spend some more money.
Andy
FollowupID: 358430

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 22:04

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 22:04
keep the solar system and forget the generator, you can't use a genie in any National Park and there are many of them in Aussie... and the added wasted space, plus they grow legs in the nite, dam good for those who are sik of the noise they 'don't' make but not for you...

with 240 Watt solar system you will have more than enough power IF you have batteries capable of storing it and then delivering as required.
Get a calcium Delkor 120+ A/h DC battery, or a AC Delco same size DC battery, are cheap and they do work, then you will need an Isolator that will recharge the batteries to the max, not a lousy 80%, get the best get Rotronics!
FollowupID: 358741

Reply By: Member - Phil [Sunshine Coast] - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 16:58

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 16:58
Giday Andy,
Forget the three way!! as an x kiwi who bought one of those [they are ideal for nz conditions ,read freezin] even on gas they are pretty ordinary! I took mine on a trip to 'the cape' , 12v most of the time,& it just could'nt keep up.I took it back to the campin shop & they gave me a real good deal on a 'Autofridge' As a post above said, they are a bit dear but worth every cent!!
I hope you have,nt got any time frame for your trip,I,ve bin around the block once & a trip to the Territory & Cape York. Hav,nt even scratched the surface, so enjoy it mate.. Give me a hoi through the member msg. thingo
Phil.
AnswerID: 100266

Follow Up By: Member - Craig M (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 10:06

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 10:06
Not quite right about the 3 ways.
One they need to be level.
I guess if yours wasn't working it wasnt level or not getting enough ventilation. Both are important.
I recently bought a 3way and over the past few days the Temp here has ben 30+ and it constantly sits on about 2.5 - 5c. On 240v or Gas.

It all depends on the instalation.

Cheers
FollowupID: 358525

Reply By: hedevil - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 21:53

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 21:53
well we have had a 3 way electrolux installed in our coaster, to replace one that wasnt working efficiantly,have spend $$$$ on correct ventilation ie taking out a window, installing a vent above unit baffle and fans to extract heat, tried it on a dummy run on weekend, dont think its working on 12 volt as drove for an hour and temp went from 4 to 12 have had it on 240v all day today and temp from 0.6 at 6 am this morning to 4.5 degrees in the afternoon without opening it at all have an engel digital themometer connected to the inside, fridge is level, its going to be the death of me for sure as we are going on a 6 month trip in june. Dont know if we are expecting to much???? supposed to be more tropical tolerant. i was told not to set thermostat control above 4 or 5 seems to be so many ideas not sure what to think at present but disapointed as the refrigeration issue has been a bug bear of our trips so far, max and carol
AnswerID: 100414

Sponsored Links