Solar Panel Frames

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 11:06
ThreadID: 20795 Views:2844 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Just looking for some advice on where to buy or how to make a frame for my two solaerx 60 watt panels.
I would like them to be portable so that I can leave my camper trailer in the shade whils't placing the panels in the sun. Any suggestions, pictures or plans would be greatly appreciated. Does anyony know if there is a brief case type stand for these panels?
Thanks in advance.

Chris.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bros - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 11:47

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 11:47
cobes,
Make your own out of ply and pine if you have the tools and a place to do it.
Piano hinge the back and case clip the front to fold out like a suitcase.
Cheers,
Bros,
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 100242

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 17:48

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 17:48
Now, being Sloarex, they should have that fancy aluminium extrusion around them, that simply accepts metric threaded screws, anywhere along the extrusion.

With mine, I simply made a low level tripod, and mounted the panel to that, go out every couple of hours, and hive it a tap with my foot, to keep track of the sun.

Above the panel, I made what I guess you would call a gnomon, this sits inside a short piece of round tube for protection, and the inside is painted matt black. The sun casts a readily seen shadow, which makes aligning to the sun less of a hit & miss affair.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 100273

Follow Up By: paj - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 21:03

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 21:03
Any chanch of a foto on your web site?

Cheers

Paj
FollowupID: 358467

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 21:15

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 21:15
I was thinking the other day, I should update the site.

I will attend to this.

Cheers

Wolfie
FollowupID: 358468

Reply By: techo2oz - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 07:40

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 07:40
Hi Chris,
the easiest way, (well for my pair of 68W Sola panels) was to get a couple of heavy duty hinges from a hardware store, screw them to the aluminium frame. Then put a couple of handles on the opposite side, this enables them to be carried easily.

I then got some light duty hinges and a couple of aluminium square tubes. These are pop rivetted to the frame as well. So I line it up with the sun, tilt them backwards and the aluminium legs hold it upright at the right angle. It iseasy to move around and then when breaking camp it all folds away and is easily carried.

My next project is to build a solar tracker though. I have designed a small circuit which will (hopefully) track the sun. I have also designed (but am yet to build) a portable frame. What I am hoping to happen with this is to have a lightweight portable setup, that I can setup and it will automagically follow the sun through the day while I am off fishing, bushwalking, sleeping, whatever. Well thats the theory at least. If it doesn't work or draws too much power or is not portable enough. then it is back to the old hinged setup as it is tried and proven.

Cheers

Peter
AnswerID: 100339

Sponsored Links