Terracan

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 13:05
ThreadID: 20796 Views:1769 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All
Looking at getting the new Terracan 2.9 CRDi diesel , With the new trek'n'tow
kit . Has anyone driven one off road ? If so how did it go and what were your thoughts . A friend has the 3.5 petrol with stock setup and has had no problems at
all . Any feed back would be great .

thepilot
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: guy (sydney) - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 16:12

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 16:12
Dont hold your breath on the trek n tow i was told i would have it fitted by the time i got the car (almost a month) then it was at first service (last week) now its middle of march im not concerned but im not holding my breath.
AnswerID: 100261

Follow Up By: guy (sydney) - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 16:18

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 16:18
forgot to say jimbo got an after market suspension kit put in for under a grand i think it was tjm not 100% ask him though
FollowupID: 358436

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 16:44

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 16:44
$900 from TJM. I believe the dealer setup is about two gorillas and that is a serious rip.

TJM fit 4 new shockers, new rear springs, tweak up the torsion bars and modify the front bump stops. 45mm lift, the roly poly handling is gone and no sag in the back with the camper on.

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 358438

Reply By: thepilot - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 16:38

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 16:38
Guy thanks for the info it will be one of the questions that I will ask if I do get the terracan
AnswerID: 100264

Reply By: davenkel - Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 14:40

Tuesday, Mar 01, 2005 at 14:40
thepilot,

g'day there.
i posted a message similar to this on post 20736.
over the days that followed and advice given i then went and drove both
diesel manuals with suspension upgrade and standard suspension.

tell you the truth, i could not tell the absolute difference. True, i didn't go totally bush with both cars. But just dirt roads.. Over this, they both handled pretty much the same....they handled well though. I'm not sure what sort of driving u are doing.... i went to ARB the day after and they will do suspension upgrades for around the $1000. Maybe a little more.

After considering all this and the extra price...i have decided not to spend the extra 2000 dollars when ordering one. I am going instead for the nudge bar, dark tinting all round and a decent tow-bar. All this for $900.00. (make sure you push them)
I will take it to fraser firstly and then decide whether i need the suspension upgrade. Great 4wd's though. value for money. thought they drove just as good as there more expensive cousins.

regard,
dave
AnswerID: 100681

Follow Up By: Peter Ja - Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 00:19

Saturday, Mar 05, 2005 at 00:19
Dave,

I am close to sick of waiting for the suspension kit to turn up. I do believe my dealer is trying to do all he can for me, but keeps getting the run round from Hyundai. I would not be waiting had I have not driven a vehicle fitted with this kit on a previous occasion.

I am totally suprised you did not notice a difference as it is like night and day. My dealer and all the dealers I have phoned tells me that no dealers have any of these kits. I would be interested to know if I was able to purchase one now.

I purchased my vehicle as soon as they hit the dealership floor and knew there would be a wait, but did not think I would be waiting this long. Another reason I want the genuine kit is that I had an aftermarket suspension on another vehicle I owned and had a huge fight with the manufacturer of the vehicle and suspension with them blaming each other, in the end I paid for the lot.

Towing = $800
Repairs = $1400
New Shocker = $140

All I say is be very careful of aftermarket.

Pete
FollowupID: 359182

Follow Up By: GibbsyWA - Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 14:13

Friday, Mar 18, 2005 at 14:13
Finally got the call from the dealer in WA to say the suspension packages are out of customs and I will get it fitted next Tuesday (22nd March). Heading down south to Augusta for easter so I will be able to test it out and see how it feels compared to standard setup I have been driving around on for the last couple of weeks.

The diesel has been great. Such a smooth and willing engine after driving 2.8td Rodeos for the last 12 years. Never thought I would buy a Korean car but I have been very happy that my first impressions that it is a quality car have proved correct.

Cheers
Gibbsy
FollowupID: 360543

Reply By: Peter Ja - Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 09:02

Sunday, Mar 20, 2005 at 09:02
Gibbsy,

Mine is also booked to be fitted on Tuesday. The dealer has it in stock now. Just in time for my trip to the Vic high country over easter.

Pete.
AnswerID: 103144

Reply By: GibbsyWA - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 16:06

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 16:06
The new factory supplied suspension is now fitted. I read somewhere on the forum that someone said they couldn't tell the difference. I don't know how they came to that conclussion. The effect is immediatley noticable, so much so that the I nearly ran off the road on the first corner. I was use to the way that the car would wallow through corners but now drives straight and true. The body roll has dimished hugely. Soaking up bumps has also vastly improved with the suspension soaking up the thumps and leaving the car body travelling on a much more even keel and getting rid of that rollercoaster feeling. Still haven't had a chance to test wheel articulation. Hopefully this weekend.
As you can tell I am more than happy (accepted that $2000 was on the steep side) but with the 5 year warranty and piece of mind if something breaks it was money well spent.

Cheers
Gibbsy
AnswerID: 103735

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 16:27

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 16:27
You gotta wonder why they don't put that setup on standard for Oz models... I guess they can save a few bucks on the RRP and then make another $1k profit on the deal. The suspension on my Surf was pretty shocking too, the shocks are/were fine it was the rear springs that were pathetic.
Sounds like you're happy, after reading the posts on here a second hand Jerrycan TD when the wheels fall off the surf will be a good possibilty for me. They should be nice and cheap by then! ;-)

FollowupID: 361266

Follow Up By: flappa - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 16:34

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 16:34
I would say partly because up until now , the Terracan wasn't exactly setting the world on fire with sales.

the Diesel has certainly changed a few peoples minds , and it was known that the Terracans suspension was a bit suspect for our conditions.

Could quite well be fine for other places.

You might find that if the Tdi sales go well , then the new suspension bits will be standard equipment.
FollowupID: 361267

Follow Up By: GibbsyWA - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 18:24

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 18:24
Jeff,
that good old depreciation issue is definitely an issue if you want to trade into a Parado or similar in a couple of years but I figured that with my habit of keeping vehicles for 7-8years most of the worst is over and vehicle prices tend to start evening up somewhat. Especially when I consider the 20K extra I didn't spend on a Parado in the first place :-)

Cheers
Gibbsy
FollowupID: 361280

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 19:51

Thursday, Mar 24, 2005 at 19:51
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was having a dig, I reckon they are alright. I just mean that in 5-10 years when it's time for me to upgrade there will be plenty of them around probally at good prices.
FollowupID: 361286

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)