AIR MATTRESS best sleep on which one

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 20:43
ThreadID: 20805 Views:6640 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi every one going to the camping show tomorrow to buy a couple of air mattresses now which is the most comfortable to sleep on and all so best camp light thanks GREENDOG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 21:22

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 21:22
Peter,

We either use the HD foam from the swag, or alternatively, have a 3inch double bed "4wd" mattress. They are bulky, but very comfortable. And don't forget that Snowys has 20% off this weekend if you can't find what you want at the show.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 100292

Reply By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 21:25

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 21:25
Depends whether you are after a blow up job, or self inflating...

Blow up - the single compartment velour top jobbies are bottom of the range, especially with two people on them (one gets off, the other is on the deck), and also not much insulation from the cold ground..

Best blowup I've seen (and still use) is the Sevylor Comfortop - has five compartments and is as comfortable as my bed at home - I can get up and wife doesn't move at all.

If you are moving daily though, you will be looking for a self inflating job.

We bought two king singles for the last trip based on the two small ones being easier to pack than one wide one, also can roll it up alone, and lastly, still useable if you go somewhere without the other half..

Based on advice from the shop, bought a CARIBEE and an Oz Trail. Oz Trail because it was softer and more comfortable (for wife), CARIBEE because it would cope with the additional weight (me) without dumping me on the ground..

CARIBEE was $159, Oz Trail was $149

After two weeks..

CARIBEE was like sleeping on the ground as far as 'softness' goes - Oz Trail was lovely.

CARIBEE was damned hard to roll up (even with both of us) because it was so stiff.

Oz Trail was quite easy to roll up by yourself (even though we did it together)

Seam on CARIBEE has started to split - Oz Trail is in great condition

For me then, the Sevylor is great if you are there for a few nights, is smaller, but more work to set up.

Self inflatables are bigger (we got pretty big ones), almost as comfortable, but easier to set up/pull down
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 100293

Follow Up By: Diamond (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 22:16

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 22:16
well i must say i shouldnt read e/o after a cpl of drinks.
you said depends if your after a blow UP job
lolololol.
cheers
FollowupID: 358486

Follow Up By: peter in sa - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 23:06

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 23:06
YES i agree after a few drinks on a sat night that's what's on the cards a blow up job . thanks for the reply i'll have to have a good look around tomorrow
FollowupID: 358491

Reply By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 21:28

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 21:28
Also check Post 15282 from the Archives - a lot of good oil in there....
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 100296

Reply By: Pezza - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 21:39

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 21:39
Hi Peter,

Can highly recomend the self inflating matresses if you have the extra room and can afford them, we have 2 single ( for ease of packing) 4" thick OZ TRAIL mattresses we have been using for about 6 yrs and have slept on rocks the size of golf balls and not known it. I also purchased a 1" thick one about 4 yrs ago for use on the bike and have used this on a ride to the cape from brizvegas and return aswell as various other trips and get a good nights sleep every night. Dad used an air mattress a few years back and had about 4 flats in one trip to the cape, the last of which was in a creased seam and was virtually impossible to repair, I don't know the brand, it may have been a cheaper one.
As for the light, we have used the coleman single mantle dual fuel for 8 yrs now, have had no problems and still works like a charm giving off about 3 times the light of a gas lantern, though it may be a little outdated now with the amount of rechargable neon style lights hitting the shelves nowadays, I hear they work quite well but don't know that much about them, hopefully another formite will be able to fill you in on them before tomorrow.
Hope this helps, happy shopping.

Avagoodn
Pezza
AnswerID: 100300

Follow Up By: peter in sa - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 23:10

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 23:10
thanks pezza well have a look at the lights i had coleman in mind as i thought that might have been the best light going around cheer's peter
FollowupID: 358492

Reply By: shaky - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 21:54

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 21:54
can I ask what pump people use for inflating airmattresses?
thanks
AnswerID: 100308

Follow Up By: joc45 - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 02:01

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 02:01
Shaky,
There are several blowers on the market; I use a Coleman, but there are cheaper versions avail, most below $20. This is a high-volume, low-pressure centrifugal blower, rather than a high-pressure tyre pump. They come with various adaptors for different applications, and will blow up a double air bed, 200mm thick in about 3 mins, whereas the tyre pumps take an eternity. And if you forget to check the blower whilst blowing the bed up, it won't explode the bed like the tyre pumps can.
Also useful for getting fires going when things are damp (a veritable little blast furnace!)
Gerry
FollowupID: 358507

Follow Up By: shaky - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 12:54

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 12:54
Gerry,
thanks for the reply. Last night we set up the new tent in the backyard. Rather than use the air mattresses (which take foreever to inflate, I dragged a couple of the bed mattresses outside). I'll get one of those 12V Colemans at Ray's next sale.
thanks all
FollowupID: 358531

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 13:00

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 13:00
Shaky
I carry 2 on the truck with me just in case one fails. I bought 2 @ $9.90 each from K-Mart 3 years ago and haven't had to open the second one yet. So I guess the moral of the story is that you don't have to pay heaps to get reliability as these little blowers are only required to deliver volume and not pressure. These cheapies blow up king single mattresses in about 3 minutes.
FollowupID: 358627

Follow Up By: shaky - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 13:16

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 13:16
Patroll 22,
thanks for the tip about K-Mart. The 12V Coleman was about $30 at Rays Outdoor (less 27.5% sale this Thurs in SA). Still more than what you paid.

The air mattresses that I use have the small sized inflator valve which will slow things down :-((
FollowupID: 358629

Reply By: GazzaS (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 22:51

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 22:51
Hi Peter

We have Coleman self inflatables for wife and me. They are about 50mm when inflated. I am 100Kg and have found the need to put 4-6 puffs into it but once done have a good nights sleep. Children have Wild COuntry ones I think - about 30mm inflated. They are a lot lighter and sleep well on them.

reason for choosing the self inflating was ease of setup. We had a gear bag (for roof rack) made 1000x900x500high. In this we get the 5 mattresses and sleeping bags folded in half without deflating the mattresses. Makes it very easy to packup and setup on a travelling trip.

Cheers

Gazza
AnswerID: 100316

Follow Up By: peter in sa - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 23:19

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 23:19
THANKS Gazza i reckon i've made up my mind , sounds like the self in flatting mat is the way to go i want it for excactly what you said easy packing and un packing an only weigh in at 74 lg but the misses she's a little heavyer but do'nt tell her that mmm may be i'll have to re think about her side of the bed cheer's peter
FollowupID: 358493

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 23:52

Saturday, Feb 26, 2005 at 23:52
Hi Greendog
We have a frifter self inflating queen materess, its a ripper, we used to take a foam matteress, got to love spelling this time of night, but anyway, the self inflating rolls up to about half the size. Good luck, have fun at the show

Crazie
AnswerID: 100328

Sponsored Links