To deflate or not to WHEN

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 12:36
ThreadID: 20821 Views:1818 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hi people, just got back from a couple of days at five rocks beach the over several tinnies around the camp fire the debate came up do you deflate your tyres before you think you may get stuck or do you wait to see if you make it again the MISSUS has started this.also saw the small majority of 4x4 rev heads cutting up the sand dunes where are the coppers when you need them.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 12:55

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 12:55
Always let them down before getting into strife IMO. Easier on the car, the driver, the tracks etc. And time spent getting out of strife could be better spent driving, or sitting around the fire drinking.
AnswerID: 100357

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 12:56

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 12:56
Mate,
As with a lot of these issues, it's largely a matter of choice....there's no "law" etc.

I prefer to deflate my tyres as soon as I know I am going to be somewhere that I might need them lowered.....the same way I always lock my hubs in BEFORE I actually hit any rough stuff.

Even if the sand ends up being hard-packed enough that you didn't end up NEEDING the additional floatation provided by lowering the pressures, consider this:

(a) you've done your drive-train a huge favour as the extra floatation means less stress on those components.....&
(b) you've done the environment a favour too with less likelihood that you've caused deeper than necessary wheel ruts etc.

It brings to mind a scene we witnessed on the Border Track a couple of years ago. There was this drongo who had a well-kitted 80 series with a thumping petrol V8 and towing a small trailer with 2 motor bikes on it. When asked by one of his mates whether he had lowered his pressures to navigate over the forthcoming sand dunes, his reply was along the lines of : "Mate when you've got as much raw horsepower as I do, you don't need to lower your pressures".....or words to that effect with a few expletives in between. Sure enough, he proceeded to give it a decent kick in the guts with the right boot and it revved it's arze all over the place, spewing sand all over the joint. He had to take 2 goes at it even then, but yes, he did get over it. Bigger ruts and more corrogations were caused by his thoughtless actions, but, hey, he didn't need to worry about that; he was already on the other side of the dunes and STIFF CHIT to anybody else that had to follow him.....

It's that sort of attitude that gives the responsible drivers amongst us a bad name.

I better get off my high horse before I fall off. hahaha

Cheers,

Roachie
AnswerID: 100358

Follow Up By: gforse - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 18:15

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 18:15
i can relate to your story on beach yesterday national parks have put cuttings into sand dunes to get to camping spots and there are heaps of trail hills but some idiots still insist on cuttting up sand dunes and climbing over places where np have planted and maintaned dunes it makes us all tared with the same brush garry,karen
FollowupID: 358549

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 18:38

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 18:38
Geez Roachie....You have a wonderful way of saying a whole lot that means nothing.

Must have something to do with the BIG DAY which is coming up soon?
FollowupID: 358550

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 14:00

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 14:00
definitly before BUT human nature being just that when I come to a soft spot that isnt to long and I might be only checking a place out then i try to get through without letting them down
AnswerID: 100362

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 22:40

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 22:40
Sand - Drop Pressure.

1. Fuel consumption.
2. Easier to not get stuck then to get unstuck.
3. Wear & Tear on you and vehicle.
4. Any responsible 4wd owner/driver knows that you need to look after the tracks or they will be closed. Hard tyres reck good tracks.
AnswerID: 100427

Reply By: SteveA - Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 23:31

Sunday, Feb 27, 2005 at 23:31
Isn't the motto of 4x4 driving "tread lightly"
AnswerID: 100431

Sponsored Links