turbo LC100

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2085 Views:1329 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone comment on either turbo- or super-charging a 4.5 petrol landcruiser 100 GXL auto ? APS in Melbourne does a bolt on turbo and CASA does supercharging (at a higher boost pressure).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mudgutz - Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00
at 165kw of power and nearly 400nm of torque would you want to........
but if you must be careful that it doesnt start breaking bits.......cv joints.....transfer cases, diffs etc...thats my 0.02c worth
AnswerID: 7129

Follow Up By: P.G. (tas) - Friday, Oct 04, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 04, 2002 at 00:00
G'day all, let me quote from Overlander 4WD magazine (October 2002, page 48), refering to the LandCruiser 100 series petrol, auto, towing a Jayco caravan (5.7 metres I believe). "Along with the Grand Cherokee and the Explorer V6, it's also among the least powerful, it's 4.5-litre straight six producing 165kw, just eight kw more more than the lowly V6 Ford. With the LandCruiser also up among the heavy-weights in this lot, and sporting a four, not five speed auto, the performance is never going to be brisk". I reckon it's editorial like this that sparks questions about turbo or supercharging what is already a supurb, powerful and very reliable engine. What do you reckon? Cheers!
FollowupID: 3261

Reply By: Slunnie - Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 03, 2002 at 00:00
I guess it really depends on what you want out of it and what you want to use it for. Ultimately I would suspect maximum power gains would come from a Turbo, though a Supercharger will provide a nicer driving experience with progressive power delivery and no lag. You may also want to look into the different types of superchargers that are available as there are a few different types. I would have thought for towing a supercharger may be better as it probably should run cooler.
AnswerID: 7144

Follow Up By: Cruze - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00
You feel the lack of power while pulling a laden 8x5 trailer uphill with 4 in the car. Turbo charging seems to be more reliable at a lower boost pressure (3-4 psi) and hence inherently less wear and damage to internal components, at the cost of turbo lag below 2000 rpm. Supercharging does run up to 7 psi, gets very hot without an intercooler (with performance drop-off) and potentially incurs more wear and tear. I have come across several stories of supercharged vehicles being unreliable or running roughly, only to be swapped to a turbo with happier owners. Haven't read anything the other way around.
However, max power with a turbo without internal component changes is 240kW, while supercharging gets up to 300kW. I'm sure 240kW will be plenty.
FollowupID: 3313

Follow Up By: Cruze - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00

You feel the lack of power while pulling a laden 8x5 trailer uphill with 4 in the car. Turbo charging seems to be more reliable at a lower boost pressure (3-4 psi) and hence inherently less wear and damage to internal components, at the cost of turbo lag below 2000 rpm. Supercharging does run up to 7 psi, gets very hot without an intercooler (with performance drop-off) and potentially incurs more wear and tear. I have come across several stories of supercharged vehicles being unreliable or running roughly, only to be swapped to a turbo with happier owners. Haven't read anything the other way around.
However, max power with a turbo without internal component changes is 240kW, while supercharging gets up to 300kW. I'm sure 240kW will be plenty.
FollowupID: 3314

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Tuesday, Oct 08, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Cruze, I guess it really depends on how well the supercharger system has been set up to how well it works, and the same equally applies for a turbo system - you hear about turbos failing regularly. Consider that Mercedes and Holden use the supercharger to improve the driving experience by producing a very consistant power delivery and a friendly curve. I think you will find there are a range of superchargers that are all very different in power delivery, and design. I'm not quite sure why, for example a Sprintex type supercharger would run hotter than a turbo, seeming as it is basically a crankshaft (via belt) driven turbo, and not driven from hot exhaust gas. I think some of the information you have may be a little misleading also, so be careful with what you find. Turbos are pretty good and reliable, especially if they are only run at 3-4 psi, though they can be set up to run 20psi if you wish (not that you would), and the supercharger may run at 7psi, but it may (like the turbo) be set up for more/less boost also - it really comes down to how it is all set up. You may find the supercharger setup to be more expensive than a turbo though. Best wishes with it Cruze. Regards Slunnie
FollowupID: 3320

Sponsored Links