3lt Patrol sometimes overheats

Submitted: Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 16:39
ThreadID: 20853 Views:1813 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Have noticed that my patrol gets very hot and sometimes even boils when in 4wd and have the air conditioner on , any ideas on what could be the problem.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 16:47

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 16:47
Not specific to your car but I'd be checking coolant level, radiator cap and thermostat operation and depending on how many Ks you've done drain and flush cooling system. Also check out post 20842 by Roachie. You are obviously working it pretty hard when in 4wd with the A/c on, the A/c should turn off if the engine gets too hot, does it do this?
AnswerID: 100521

Reply By: muzzimbidgie - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:08

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:08
It's a car, they get hot, radiators block up, thermostats fail to open, electric thermofans stop working, water pumps wear out, radiator caps leak, head gaskets leak, clutch fans become ineffective, Mars circles Uranis and the tide goes up and down !!!

It's all part of life.

Radiator repairers/mechanics fix them, everyone is happy again.

WOW I really am feeling cynical today.
AnswerID: 100523

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:18

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:18
yea but it pays to nail down the problem 1st or you will get a new radiator new water pump new head gasket for 1,800 dollars when all you needed was a new rad cap
FollowupID: 358678

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:14

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:14
If it has been as hot in your neck of the woods as it has been in Kal then no wonder even the work tojos have been getting warm. I am assuming it is not that old so unless you have been using bore water to fill it up the radiator shouldnt be blocked inside
1st thing I would do is look for seeds blocking the radiator this not only involves chacking the front of the air con condensor but looking between the radiator and condenseras crap gets sucked up here and blocks the rad no worries. Also when the gauge heads north next time jump out and check the fan out as you turn it off. With the motor stopped it should do no more than 1 turn otherwise it needs service/replacement. Ccheck for mystery coolant loss and cracked head (unlikely) otherwise as per previos reply. If all draws a blank get the radiator removed and rodded as there could be internal blockages
AnswerID: 100527

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:26

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:26
Yep, Davoe's on the money.

Is it a new GU 3.0 Turbo Diesel or the old GQ petrol 3.0 6 cylinder? It it's the older type it is quite liley that:

A: The radiator and or block is clogged and needs a good flush and possible recor.

B: The clutch fan is rooted and needs servicing/replacing.

C: All of the above.

If it's a newby it probally just needs a flush (as they use eletric thermo fans I think anyway).
Or possible as suggested above a radiator cap.

Take my advise on either of these vehicles, as soon as the needle starts to rise back off and don't think "Oh it's ok it's not in the red yet". Once these factory temp guages start to rise it means she's bloody hot and not happy, if you aggrovate it you'll have an expensive cracked head repair bill in your hand faster than you can say "wad-i-do?"!
FollowupID: 358682

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:29

Monday, Feb 28, 2005 at 17:29
hah didnt consider it may have been an rb30
FollowupID: 358683

Reply By: rudu - Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 20:08

Sunday, Mar 06, 2005 at 20:08
i herd from an arb dealer the early gu 3l turbos had a heating problem which was a nissan eng fault.he said nissan would fix as a recall problem so call nissan and ask.

good luck
AnswerID: 101356

Sponsored Links