Awning for side of 4WD

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 11:20
ThreadID: 20902 Views:6308 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We've been talkng about setting up an awning from the side of the Discovery. Maybe by attaching a tarp, or ready made awning to ther side gutter, or over the rear door.

If you've already figured it out, or found a ready made product that does the task, would you like to clue us in.

Thanks in advance. Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 11:42

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 11:42
Greg

We have an awning on the fender, but it's attached to a Rhino roof rack.
It works well and only cost about $150.

Sail track riveted to side of rack. 3m x 2m canvas with sleeve in outboard edge.
Std extendable tent spacer pole permanently through sleeve, the type that's flattened at each end with a pole hole.

2 std extendable poles, ropes and pegs laid inside then the whole kit and kaboodle rolls up and fixes to side of rack with 2 attached velcro straps.

Also have a hole in each side about 1m from outside edge so in wet weather the poles are shortened and the annex dropped down at an angle to keep the rain at bay.

Neat as a pin and takes but a mo to setup. Not quite sure how you'd attach anything without racks .... unless you don't mind pop riveting some sail track through the roof of the disco .... ;-))

Cheers
AnswerID: 100781

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 13:21

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 13:21
Smudger

Opensky have two units that are made for their off road camper trailer/van.

However they are very adaptable to other rigs.

They have a specific awning set up which attaches to an annex/awning rail (you know, the rope through the slot affair)

It comes in its own zip up bag which is attached to the vehicle by sliding it through the aforementioned awning rail.

When you pull up, you just unzip the bag/carrier , undo three velcro wraps, rollit out in your hands, open and extend legs to suit height and terrain undulations, extend tension struts to hold off off vehicle and there it is.

The outher set up which I have mounted on my Troopy is a Awning, room which Openshy use as a shower room. Big Room actually which works on the same principle as the Awning.

When I get home I just slide the bag off and store it. (30 seconds) Reverse before going away.

Its made in South Africa and the quality is exceptional. Way over and above anything I've evr seen on offer in Australia.

Opensky has a web site. www.opensky.com.au

Regards

Ken Robinson
AnswerID: 100788

Reply By: Vince NSW - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 13:25

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 13:25
Making one at the moment. It will be some what like rosco's, but not quite.
I have a 25 mm x 25 mm section of alloy tube attached to the roof rack & attached to this is a 3 mt x 4mt tarp with another piece of alloy tube on the outer edge with holes in each end and in the mid point of the tube. I like Rosco's idea of using the tent type ridge pole and may try to get one to fit. The whole thing rolls up into a heavy duty poly bag that is attached at the roof rack.
I am looking at adding another piece of tarp to form a L shape and cover the rear of the truck as well.
Vince
AnswerID: 100790

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 15:03

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 15:03
Mine is much the same as yours Vince, bit heavy but does an excellent job, rain or shine.
It's gives all the shade we need in this country and then all we need is plenty of beer to drink in it!
Alan.
FollowupID: 358928

Reply By: Alan S (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 13:55

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 13:55
I have an "Alu Awn" from Opensky, came with the roof tent and roof rack that I bought from the trader section on this web site. I think its great but not cheap.

Southern Cross Canvas have one advertised on their web site and is a lot cheaper i.e. $280. No idea of the quality and never seen one.

Hope this helps
AnswerID: 100801

Reply By: phil - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 14:44

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 14:44
There was another thread on this subject about 3 weeks ago.
Quite extensive discussion and lots of good ideas.
Phil I
AnswerID: 100806

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 16:17

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 16:17
Where in the country are you would assist in recommending places.
AnswerID: 100813

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 20:53

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 20:53
or here might be worth a look. No idea on what they are like, but like you I am considering one for my 80 Series.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 100845

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 21:06

Wednesday, Mar 02, 2005 at 21:06
Greg

I've looked at the various commercial options included in the above responses and make the observation that they are all more or less identical with our set-up, BUT at about 2-3 times the cost, when area covered is considered.

Do yourself a favour and visit a local canvas stitcher type person ... it'll save you a motsa.

Cheers
AnswerID: 100853

Follow Up By: Smudger - Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 20:12

Friday, Mar 04, 2005 at 20:12
Thanks everyone, good advice Rosco. reckon that's the track I'll take.
Smudger
FollowupID: 359164

Sponsored Links